• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

We’ve started a new franchise, a different sport. We won’t be playing any of the other clubs again at any level.

That’s my view in how the associations will play it with full support of everyone outside those 12 clubs.

Can you now see the death spiral those 12 clubs may have entered ? And so be it.

hahaha, never happen

- PL and FA is a multi-billion dollar business on the back of certain "brands". the sponsors/tv right owners would argue any money already paid was with the expectation that those brands would be part of the package.
- The superleague does nothing to hurt the PL, in fact it could help promote the top 6 even more, have better players still
- You think the PL has any creditability without the top 6 sides?

People who think the PL is going to do anything but mutter/grumble are deluded, why would they risk their golden goose for UEFA?

This hasn't been done on a whim, it hasn't been done without the best lawyers in the world (who have been preparing for probably a year), the level of incompetence of FA and UEFA don't indicate they will have the brain power to counter and the timing is interesting, the only real threat is UEFA for Euros against the players and then they put themselves in the same boat as FA, who the fudge will watch Euros minus Ronaldo, Kane, everyone from those clubs?

no, but where do they get the qualified officials from?

The ESL calls those officials, offers then 50% more salary that they're getting today and they resign. The cost of the officials will be easily covered, and you're only talking about say 100-150 folk (referees, linesmen, 4th official, VAR etc)

The press and fans groups are really going to town on this.
Our "traditions", what traditions are these exactly?
Other than the actual style beauty of the game itself when played properly by great teams, real Madrid of 50s, Tottenham double side, utd of law, best and Charlton, Holland and ajax of the 70s, Ac Milan of gullit and van Basten and the recent barca teams, you can stick your traditions.
Herded like cattle, fleeced for every penny we have, players treated as commodities, blazers running a game they know nothing about, bungs, bent refs. Are these tge traditions they are pining for?
The beauty and tradition of football lies in what happens between the lines.

Any league they want?

Officials are paid per game, any attempt to block them officiating in another competition would probably be destroyed in court.

The ESL calls those officials, offers then 50% more salary that they're getting today and they resign. The cost of the officials will be easily covered, and you're only talking about say 100-150 folk (referees, linesmen, 4th official, VAR etc)

I think its the most complicated part, I expect they will have to train and accredit new officials and ratify their own laws

with 12 member clubs all having a say in it

This hasn't been done on a whim, it hasn't been done without the best lawyers in the world (who have been preparing for probably a year), the level of incompetence of FA and UEFA don't indicate they will have the brain power to counter and the timing is interesting, the only real threat is UEFA for Euros against the players and then they put themselves in the same boat as FA, who the fudge will watch Euros minus Ronaldo, Kane, everyone from those clubs?

This is all true, but remember that only months ago Henry and Glazer had those proposals for the PL and then found no one else backed them. Greed can cloud judgement. That said, this seems to be much more organised.

I think its the most complicated part, I expect they will have to train and accredit new officials and ratify their own laws

with 12 member clubs all having a say in it

Copy/paste is the way to start with, and then pass them at a board meeting. Use CL/EL rules as the basis and then any deviations from that can come in during later seasons. I think its a very easy one personally. No training required at all

Copy/paste is the way to start with, and then pass them at a board meeting. Use CL/EL rules as the basis and then any deviations from that can come in during later seasons. I think its a very easy one personally. No training required at all

Copyright lawsuit incoming.

They must have a plan for this, officials are like the third thing you need.

This is all true, but remember that only months ago Henry and Glazer had those proposals for the PL and then found no one else backed them. Greed can cloud judgement. That said, this seems to be much more organised.

Yes, they had proposals, they didn't have $3.5B in hand with the 12 biggest clubs in the world backing them

If the superleague is a success, the FA/PL is fudged, the Glazer/Henry proposals will come back, with more leverage

Copyright lawsuit incoming.

They must have a plan for this, officials are like the third thing you need.

I dont think you can copyright what offside is. Provided they dont use any IFAB terms, they'd be fine. And frankly even if not, I dont think FIFA would waste time suing over this when there are many more issues they have to deal with

I dont think you can copyright what offside is. Provided they dont use any IFAB terms, they'd be fine. And frankly even if not, I dont think FIFA would waste time suing over this when there are many more issues they have to deal with

No, but you can copyright blocks of text.

I look forward to seeing their solution, I doubt it's been overlooked.

Playing weakened sides in the PL to prioritise a glorified friendly in another part of the world will absolutely show it's no longer about the fans. Good to see some footballers are already opposing the idea.

Back