• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

The new annual tournament will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football (ha!) via a long-term commitment to uncapped (oh yes?) solidarity payments which will grow in line with league revenues. These solidarity payments will be substantially higher than those generated by the current European competition and are expected to be in excess of €10 billion during the course of the initial commitment period of the Clubs. In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework (the detail of that would be interesting). In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic (and that's a big reason why Spurs would want to get in now if it's happening anyway).

It will have all the teams in it that actually can win the CL... plus teams like us and Arsenal who have an infrastructure to do so
They will add more teams soon to end up with a 40 week season mid week across Europe
20 teams I reckon

2 leagues of 10. Home and Away games (18 each)

Top 3 from each go to quarters. 4th and 5th from each playoff (2 legs) for other 2 quarters slots.

Quarters and Semis 2 legs

Final one off game

Extra 20ish games in an average season. 65-70 total games in a season with domestic cup runs.

Apologies if this has been covered already.

I just planted two 3x3' boxes with purple potato plants and started a broader garden with 12 heirloom tomato plants, a batch of radishes, kale, swiss chard, Boston Leaf lettuce and zucchini. Four already thriving cannabis plants - two sativa and two indica - will go into the ground by the end of April. Another four hit the soil at my cottage in the next four weeks, to say nowt of the same veggies already listed.

The new varmint rifle to suppress the flying squirrel invasion at my cottage is proving to be a cracking purchase. And the two new resin cast 1/24 bodies of the 73-74 Mercury Montego have just arrived so I can pay proper scale modeling tribute to NASCAR's Silver Fox, David Pearson.

e537aad4a92d7641b854811b13a43003-600x400.jpg

And someone expects me to give a monkey's about what Spurs are doing. Har fcukin' har de har.

This will be unsettling to the players right now, they will not know what to think. Also, for future seasons where is the motivation for the league if we was allowed to stay in it? We aren’t good enough to win the league, and no matter where we finish we would be in the Super League anyway. The buzz for domestic football would be lost for us, and many others. Originally I was thinking let’s just go with it and see. But the more I think about it the more I’m getting this sinking feeling it just doesn’t feel like football anymore....

The hypocrisy of this whole thing makes me laugh.

1) the EPL was formed to make more money
2) the CL was changed from the European Cup to include more clubs and make more money
3) Sky’s biggest product is the EPL and for years they had the monopoly on the coverage and they made loads of money

UEFA are up in arms because they will lose out.
The EPL are up in arms because they are scared they are going to lose out because they are in bed with UEFA.
Sky are scared they will lose out to Amazon (or other streaming services).

All of these people kicking up a fuss are HIDING behind the ordinary man in the street and its a complete load of gonad*s.

The media train has gone into overdrive, using propoganda and doing its usual of hyping up the average football fan. Not because this is “unjust”, but because THEY are going to miss out commercially.

what does it mean for us? I don’t know - and I actually don’t really care.

football lost its soul a long time ago for me. Its supposed to be a contact sport - but if you make contact its a foul/penalty. An offside is only offside if the ref thinks you’re interfering with play. A handball is a handball if you have your back turned and the ball strikes your arm. Players shriek like a jackyl and fall over like they have been shot when someone touches them. Players are earning £400k per week. VAR. brick referees. i could go on

Sorry, football for me died a long time ago.

Its change. People don’t like change - and the media/EPL/Uefa are hyping it, calling it greedy etc. because they will lose out.

its not about us, what we think - it never is, so please stop using me as an ordinary man in the street who is going to be affected. i wont, I can choose to turn on my TV or turn it off.

I thought it might be a stunt to force UEFA to buck up their ideas up .

Embarrassed by this club .

Non league is where I’m going every other Saturday. Real football , real people.

Up yours Mr Levy

Edit : This is disgusting for the health of the football pyramid. It’s already in bad shape and for the so called big six to feather their own nests in such a way is wrong.

To think they can generate extra wealth then use that to compete on a Saturday in the prem is not healthy.

We are a shambles on the pitch at domestic level . We are not close to the top 12 sides in Europe yet we are invited on the basis of financial clout what a joke.

Last edited:
The hypocrisy of this whole thing makes me laugh.

1) the EPL was formed to make more money
2) the CL was changed from the European Cup to include more clubs and make more money
3) Sky’s biggest product is the EPL and for years they had the monopoly on the coverage and they made loads of money

UEFA are up in arms because they will lose out.
The EPL are up in arms because they are scared they are going to lose out because they are in bed with UEFA.
Sky are scared they will lose out to Amazon (or other streaming services).

All of these people kicking up a fuss are HIDING behind the ordinary man in the street and its a complete load of gonad*s.

The media train has gone into overdrive, using propoganda and doing its usual of hyping up the average football fan. Not because this is “unjust”, but because THEY are going to miss out commercially.

what does it mean for us? I don’t know - and I actually don’t really care.

football lost its soul a long time ago for me. Its supposed to be a contact sport - but if you make contact its a foul/pelanty. An offside is only offside if the ref thinks you’re interfering with play. A handball is a handball if you have your back turned and the ball strikes your arm. Players shriek like a jackyl and fall over like they have been shot when someone touches them. Players are earning £400k per week. VAR. brick referees. i could go on

Sorry, football for me died a long time ago.

Its change. People don’t like change - and the media/EPL/Uefa are hyping it, calling it greedy etc. because they will lose out.

its not about us, what we think - it never is, so please stop using me as an ordinary man in the street who is going to be affected. i wont, I can choose to turn on my TV or turn it off.
UEFA were forced into enlarging the CL by the same culprits who have finally followed through with their Super League plans. These very same clubs have been threatening for years to breakaway and UEFA's response was to introduce coefficients to help the bigger clubs in the bigger markets but to still keep some semblance of competition. That clearly isn't enough for them, they want guaranteed income and a guaranteed seat at the table no matter their performance. That has never been UEFAs intention.

Nice to actually be invited isn’t it.

I bet some Everton people are a bit tinkled off.

Hate it or not, it shows how far we have come.

Yes. I can understand people being opposed, and I would have preferred had it not happened. However:

1) It IS happening with or without us, and its far better for us to be in it (and richer) than outside, and be poorer

2) We have a huge amount of debt. Had we been on the outside of this, we would have struggled to service or repay that debt. We might well have gone under

I hate West ham as much as the next man/woman, but teams of the stature of West ham , and indeed Spurs not that long ago, slowly dragging themselves to the top table is what football is about. This ESL brick makes a mockery of all that.
I think the key is to enjoy the good you need the bad
The problem with a fixed super league is it’s a cartel and it’s like NFL or F1... your time may come around but actually all that matters are the bright lights and razzmatazz
Having all the £££ won’t make the product any better as these teams already have most of the £££ and by default most of the better players

Yes. I can understand people being opposed, and I would have preferred had it not happened. However:

1) It IS happening with or without us, and its far better for us to be in it (and richer) than outside, and be poorer

2) We have a huge amount of debt. Had we been on the outside of this, we would have struggled to service or repay that debt. We might well have gone under
Had we been out of this our commercial growth would be limited
We would be paying out debt on fan income predominantly as the TV income would change too
We would need to be more like St Pauli and be a fan driven club but that’s never happen with a club of our scale

The thing that made the European Cup special was you had to win your domestic league to qualify, or you had to win it first. It really was a “champions” competition.

Now it isn’t - the richest clubs with the most money usually qualify. UEFA introduced the CL format to create a “Super Competition” where they can earn more money - which has over the last 30 odd years become their premium product. Yes it is a competition based upon the values of a meritocracy - but when was the last time a “smaller” club from a less glamorous league won it? Porto perhaps? So the CL is VERY much driven by money.

UEFA are tinkled off because their monopoly is under threat. No other reason.

Back