• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

The threats from the domestic leagues are laughable

sure, Spain are going to kick Barca and Real Madrid out.

Exactly. It'll end up being PL at the weekend, this ESL thing in midweek, and with a UEFA badge on it

Won't really be any different to now

It would come down to the other 14 clubs. If they do sign up to it I hope they are kicked out.

I’m against it completely, I’d go and watch Crawley/lower league side.

but I doubt those clubs will vote to kick those clubs out, I know they do TV deals differently over there, but they wouldn’t make half as much money without the top 2/3 clubs.

Just seen the PL have said the same, that’s even less likely.

If we end up joining this abomination - I think I'll struggle with the motivation for staying interested. I don't like brick like this, it fudging ruins the equilibrium of the universe.

I would have agreed with you 10 years ago but watching football and being so emotionally invested in Spurs has killed me and I couldn’t now give a flying fudge about the equilibrium of football etc.

We have largely collapsed as a club since the mid 90s (and I saw nothing of what went before that time) which whilst painful to watch in itself, has also been compounded by those two rivals of ours winning all and sundry time and again.

It takes its toll eventually and kills you. So fudge the modern game, its basically given us nothing for around 30 long soul destroying years, whilst all around us have had a great time, time and time again.

So for me its fudge what exists now and lets see what this new thing will be.

Last edited:
Exactly. It'll end up being PL at the weekend, this ESL thing in midweek, and with a UEFA badge on it

Won't really be any different to now
It'll be a huge difference. The top 6 will have a guaranteed income from the new competition giving them a huge advantage over the other teams.
Players will want to join those teams in order to play in the new competition, again giving them a huge advantage. It'll ruin the league with just
those 6 ever going to compete for the title. I really do hope the 6 are kicked out if they join it and keep some sort of chance for teams to rise
up and compete at the top of the league.
If this was done 10-15 years ago we more than likely wouldn't be included. It just doesn't sit right that because we've done relatively well in
the last 10 years (without even winning anything) that we get into this.

How long before the PL becomes like the league cup for those clubs?

Is it that different to playing in the PL at the weekend and CL midweek?

OK, its 13 games to win the CL vs 23 to win this new thing (or just 18 for the group stage) so squads would need to be a bit larger and you'll see different clubs/managers prioritising PL vs the ESL I guess, but I'm not sure its really that different is it?

The League Cup would either be opted out of, or just reserve teams fielded, but I'm really not sure this it that different. Its just that UEFA are having a hissy fit because its someone else coming up with the suggestion. UEFA is a joke of an organisation. Its their own fault

What if we're in the PL and also the ESL?

I cant see a scenario where we just play in this ESL but not domestically

The scenario is right in front of you. The clubs are taken the money for themselves. Furthermore the EPL/FA/UEFA/FIFA competitions are relatively diminished in terms of prestige.

Let’s see what sanctions UEFA and the FA propose but they will be massive.

It'll be a huge difference. The top 6 will have a guaranteed income from the new competition giving them a huge advantage over the other teams.
Players will want to join those teams in order to play in the new competition, again giving them a huge advantage.
Agreed, but just an extension of what is done now. That said, with the increased number of games, it might mean the PL has seasons like this one more often - the big teams would need to juggle more

If this was done 10-15 years ago we more than likely wouldn't be included. It just doesn't sit right that because we've done relatively well in
the last 10 years (without even winning anything) that we get into Derp

Agree with that. What is this 'Derp' thing?

The scenario is right in front of you. The clubs are taken the money for themselves. Furthermore the EPL/FA/UEFA/FIFA competitions are relatively diminished in terms of prestige.

Let’s see what sanctions UEFA and the FA propose but they will be massive.

I think this ESL will replace the CL, it'll fold back under UEFA, perhaps with a separate board or governance, and there will be some haggling over entry rights

I dont believe that these 11 teams would jsut wnat to play in the ESL and not domestically, nor do I believe that the PL, La Liga think that they can credibly continue with these 11 teams

Is it that different to playing in the PL at the weekend and CL midweek?

OK, its 13 games to win the CL vs 23 to win this new thing (or just 18 for the group stage) so squads would need to be a bit larger and you'll see different clubs/managers prioritising PL vs the ESL I guess, but I'm not sure its really that different is it?

The League Cup would either be opted out of, or just reserve teams fielded, but I'm really not sure this it that different. Its just that UEFA are having a hissy fit because its someone else coming up with the suggestion. UEFA is a joke of an organisation. Its their own fault

It won’t end with the x amount to sign up clubs

It will be expanded to the other major European Leagues, then you will have wild card teams such as Celtic/Rangers and other clubs with big fan bases in smaller nations league.

It just needed a couple of major leagues team to start this all before others join.

I doubt that the club's are that bothered about domestic leagues. The TV rights for Super League games on Saturday and Sunday evenings would be worth a fortune. They would just go in direct competition rather than play midweek

Agreed, but just an extension of what is done now. That said, with the increased number of games, it might mean the PL has seasons like this one more often - the big teams would need to juggle more

Agree with that. What is this 'Derp' thing?
One of the moderators thinking they're funny changing t his to Derp, stupid

It won’t end with the x amount to sign up clubs

It will be expanded to the other major European Leagues, then you will have wild card teams such as Celtic/Rangers and other clubs with big fan bases in smaller nations league.

It just needed a couple of major leagues team to start this all before others join.

But doesnt that mean that you end up where I suggested? This replaces the CL and plays midweek, domestic leagues stay at weekends?

But doesnt that mean that you end up where I suggested? This replaces the CL and plays midweek, domestic leagues stay at weekends?
It replaces CL for the teams in this new competition, but what about every other team?

Back