• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European and Global Super League Plans

Is this going to be like when we were one of the big five that got the PL ball rolling and then spent the next decade being utterly brick?

There could be an announcement tonight

The 12 clubs that have signed up already are Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan

Notice no new money clubs Emirates Marketing Project and PSG who the rest hate for overinflating the market

There could be an announcement tonight

The 12 clubs that have signed up already are Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan

Notice no new money clubs Emirates Marketing Project and PSG who the rest hate for overinflating the market

Some reports say 6 English, 2 German and 1 French club among the founding members.

It will be

Man Utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool
Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund
PSG
AC, Inter, Juventus
Barca, Real, Atletico

It's the permanent membership that makes this truly brick as most of these clubs have had periods where they've been also rans. With only 5 places open for qualifiers, what do everyone else now have to work towards? No matter how hard you work to build something, these clubs will be virtually untouchable.

If every game is a big game, nothing will feel special any longer.

What this will do, is to change the whole fabric of what it means to be a football fan (much more so than the past 30 years' development has, of course). The transition from fan to consumer/customer will be complete.

A football game in this new context is pure, commercial entertainment. Football isn't going to be a sport anymore, the connection between fans and players will completely dininish and a game between Real Madrid and Bayern will be like any new Marvel movie - same formula, no surprises, just a product tailor made to maximize profits.

And profitable they probably will be. I expect myself and other like minded fans to be less and less interested though. People like us, who come back to support our club time and time again, through good times and bad times, even if we play brick and don't get results. The loyalists will disappear.

In return, there will be plenty new consumers, of course. People who don't really have a big affection for football as a sport, but just want their entertainment. They will do their shopping in a world where football is a product just like movies and concerts.

The fan culture that built football will disappear. The die hards that go to every game and sing their hearts out, making it a proper experience for us sporadic spectators, is a dying breed. What's left then? Just a hollow shell.

That's just not for me.

Have to laugh at the PL asking clubs to distance themselves from it. 75% of the PL have already signed up for it.

Never been a season ticket holder but been a member since I was a kid. Probably doing half a dozen to a dozen games a season. But should we go and join a closed shop I think that’s it for me. I’ll just stick to my local non league team.

Unfortunately the pockets will be deep and plenty of overseas fans will still follow so can’t see it failing unfortunately.

What this will do, is to change the whole fabric of what it means to be a football fan (much more so than the past 30 years' development has, of course). The transition from fan to consumer/customer will be complete.

A football game in this new context is pure, commercial entertainment. Football isn't going to be a sport anymore, the connection between fans and players will completely dininish and a game between Real Madrid and Bayern will be like any new Marvel movie - same formula, no surprises, just a product tailor made to maximize profits.

And profitable they probably will be. I expect myself and other like minded fans to be less and less interested though. People like us, who come back to support our club time and time again, through good times and bad times, even if we play brick and don't get results. The loyalists will disappear.

In return, there will be plenty new consumers, of course. People who don't really have a big affection for football as a sport, but just want their entertainment. They will do their shopping in a world where football is a product just like movies and concerts.

The fan culture that built football will disappear. The die hards that go to every game and sing their hearts out, making it a proper experience for us sporadic spectators, is a dying breed. What's left then? Just a hollow shell.

That's just not for me.

I think that all happened a long long time ago.

That's just not for m
e.

Great post.

This is capitalism kids. Post pandemic recovery for each business is their sole objective. If this allows them to bargain more money from PL and UEFA then Levy will do what it takes.

But nobody can deny that Spurs don't have a choice but to be part of this block of teams. They can't be righteous here. It's a business.

I think that all happened a long long time ago.

I agree the process started years ago, but it's not finalised yet. People like me are still around - I just enjoy watching Spurs (well, try my best anyways these days) and reading about us on free sites like this, but I don't bring much revenue. I spend hardly any money on merchandise, and share my PL subscription with a friend to save cash - basically just the type of fan/customer they don't want.

This is capitalism kids. Post pandemic recovery for each business is their sole objective. If this allows them to bargain more money from PL and UEFA then Levy will do what it takes.

But nobody can deny that Spurs don't have a choice but to be part of this block of teams. They can't be righteous here. It's a business.

That's exactly what football has become now. The PL espcecially, they are not Football Clubs anymore, they are Companies

Back