• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I know everyone is different, and everyone's experience of Covid is different and personally I have two lots of flights that I have to keep pushing back but I'm fully ok with rolling thru another spring and summer with only the lovely British isles as a destination. I'd love to go abroad but I don't need to, especially if it helps bring this virus to its knees.

1000%. I think if you poll'd the country they'd say the same, rather have open life here as best as possible and hold fire on international travel than mix it up and continue with mini lockdowns. then again, don't expect this government to deliver something that makes sense.

Reactions: DTA
I think that you are right to criticise people for not following restrictions though, @markysimmo, they are putting us all at risk.

They were quite crafty where we went yesterday for lunch
We ordered food and drinks, when we had finished eating the waitress asked if we were staying, we said yes we wanted to if we could
She said in that case what they needed to do was leave 2 of our empty plates on the end of the table in case they got checked
We stayed from 1pm until just before 5pm

I don't understand why a Tory goverment (under Boris Johnson in particular) would unnecessarily block people's freedoms. Chile have vaccinated a large chunk of their population but are in a terrible state again.

We need to make sure we watch what is happening in coutries who are ahead of us and then react. We made the mistake of not doing that a year ago.

What’s happened in Chile certainly doesn’t bode well for the developing world who are the target of China’s vaccine diplomacy, as 90% of vaccinated Chileans have received the SinoVac jab which is only 3% effective after the first dose.

https://www.ft.com/content/89992bc9-051a-42b5-8be0-60edad4165cb
...the Sinovac vaccine is only fully effective after the second dose, unlike the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine that is much more effective after just one. Although about 40 per cent of Chileans have received one dose so far, less than half that amount have had two. A recent study of the effectiveness of Chile’s vaccination programme found that two weeks after receiving a second jab, it is 56 per cent effective, but with one jab effectiveness drops to just 3 per cent.

Hopefully the Com-Cov trial shows that mixing vaccines proves effective and production of Moderna plus BioNTech vaccines is ramped up significantly in the next few months, so at least they can get effective booster jabs before their next winter season.

Because of the ability to carry the virus even with the vaccine I can't see travel being opened to the masses until other countries catch up with the vaccine roll out.

Judging by the woeful SinoVac effectiveness it probably stands to reason that the transmissibility even after 2 doses won’t be anywhere near BioNTech has exhibited.

https://www.clam.ac.uk/research/new...matic-infections-and-potential-for-sars-cov-2
New data from Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge suggests that a single dose of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine can reduce by 75% the number of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections. This implies that the vaccine could significantly reduce the risk of transmission of the virus from people who are asymptomatic, as well as protecting others from getting ill.

i think that's a bit overcooked. No one wants to block peoples freedom, certainly in the UK. This isn't North Korea.

As @Mikey10 stated, i think there's going to be some concern on the variants (and this happened because we had someone come to UK from SA in February knowing full well there was an SA variant about but we didn't have them redlisted. Foolish).

Quite frankly, couldn't give two bricks about open borders, the country needs to reopen and lockdown the borders, if that means no one can go abroad, who cares, at least get pubs, bars, stadiums full to the rafters again.

Edit: To add on Chile btw, the vaccine programme led to people completely dropping their guard and now the virus is spreading again, and hitting them again, and causing lockdowns again.

Unforutnately based on the sights of this week, where many young people who have not been vaccinated are out and mingling the same, i do worry the bounce will be bigger than anticipated.

I personally see a lesser version of what we had last year with open for summer, restrict for winter.

Also think people will travel abroad but having to jump through hoops with testing etc so we won't see an open borders or just simply presenting a vaccine passport to travel.

That's my gut instinct.

I don't understand why a Tory goverment (under Boris Johnson in particular) would unnecessarily block people's freedoms. Chile have vaccinated a large chunk of their population but are in a terrible state again.

We need to make sure we watch what is happening in coutries who are ahead of us and then react. We made the mistake of not doing that a year ago.

Once 65/70% of the population has been vaccinated then it's going to be pretty tricky to argue for more restrictions (apart from travel), people have only just about managed to deal with being cooped up for so long because vaccines were on their way and will expect life to be 95% back to normal once enough peopke have had a jab. Another wave will come i'm sure regardless of how quicly we open up.

I personally see a lesser version of what we had last year with open for summer, restrict for winter.

Also think people will travel abroad but having to jump through hoops with testing etc so we won't see an open borders or just simply presenting a vaccine passport to travel.

That's my gut instinct.

I agree.

I think we are some way from "close" to "normal" globally. Locally? Absolutely. But yes, it feels like global travel as we knew it is not going to happen for some time...

beg your pardon? what's the evidence that black, asian and other ethinicities have ignored lockdown rules compared to white people? silly comment.

I have seen on the news that some have been reluctant to have the vaccine but not heard about any great breaking of the rules. That seems to mainly be by younger people.

The whole term BAME is problematic for me. It attempts to homogenise us while the "indigenous" (also problematic term) folk get segmented according to class and other things rather than their skin tone.

Certain posters on here clearly have a problem with black and brown folk but don't have the guts to say it with their chest out. And it's hurtful and infuriating. And for too long it's an easy ride on GG.

I ask those of you who aren't racist clams to be more supportive and call it out when they see it. Don't hide away.

non-figuratively dont think so, all we hear is BAME dont belive in the vaccine, etc

That's racism too. You are making broad, unsubstantiated, generalisations based on race.

There is an issue with take up within some communities but the reasons behind that are complex.

Your claim that "most of those are in the BAME community who have on the whole totally ignored lockdown rules" is flimflam, abject racism and hypocrisy coming from someone who has repeatedly boasted about flouting lockdown rules.

You also seem to think that everyone who is not white/British is a homogeneous group. This is just plain ignorant.

Rather than spouting this ignorant crap @markysimmo, why don't you ask some questions of your fellow posters? I am sure that there are people here who would be happy to explain the differences between different communities and the reasons behind vaccine hesitancy within some of them and what is being done within them to try and address this.

That's racism too. You are making broad, unsubstantiated, generalisations based on race.

There is an issue with take up within some communities but the reasons behind that are complex.

Your claim that "most of those are in the BAME community who have on the whole totally ignored lockdown rules" is flimflam, abject racism and hypocrisy coming from someone who has repeatedly boasted about flouting lockdown rules.

You also seem to think that everyone who is not white/British is a homogeneous group. This is just plain ignorant.

Though i agree generally with your points the bbc news has said on a few different occasions that the take up from Black and Asian people for the vaccine has been low. I have not heard anything about that section of society ignoring social distancing. That seems to be younger people on the whole from what I gather.

Though i agree generally with your points the bbc news has said on a few different occasions that the take up from Black and Asian people for the vaccine has been low. I have not heard anything about that section of society ignoring social distancing. That seems to be younger people on the whole from what I gather.

He is being challenged for claiming that BAME have been flouting lockdown. There's data to show vaccine hesitancy in certain communities. Two different things. And he also posted on here about him and his people flouting the lockdown rules. He's saying racist things that are hurtful. It would be nice to see him called out for it. I'll hold my breath.

There is issue with take up within some communities. Mark was applying this to all non-white communities which is ignorant and racist. The reasons why there is hesitancy within some communities is complex and deep rooted but one of the contributing factors is disinformation deliberately created and targeted at these communities.

Back