• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

Claiming you are the worlds biggest boxing fan won’t impress anyone on here. Have you even given the articles or credible links you mentioned?
Never claimed to be 'the worlds biggest boxing fan', might want to wind your neck in there, sweetcheeks.

As for the evidence of Whyte being a ducker/bottle job, the evidence is everywhere. IF you really were a boxing fan and not just a casual fan you'd know all this already.

Never claimed to be 'the worlds biggest boxing fan', might want to wind your neck in there, sweetcheeks.

As for the evidence of Whyte being a ducker/bottle job, the evidence is everywhere. IF you really were a boxing fan and not just a casual fan you'd know all this already.

Why does it matter if people are hardcore boxing fans or not? This is a casual thread on a football forum, people are discussing what they want to discuss and you are getting all upset because you seem to think they are wrong. Chill out and take the thread for what it is.

In this week's Fight Talk we ask what you do next with a blistering talent like Conor Benn, Steve Bunce tells us that Savannah Marshall is the best female boxer on earth, we see Evander Holyfield is nearing a comeback and we look back on a women's fight earning rave reviews.

You heard my instructions in the dressing room. Keep it clean and protect yourselves at all times. Let's go.

Benn must pace the journey
Conor Benn blew Samuel Vargas away in 80 seconds on Saturday and in turn blew the roof off the hopes many hold for him in future.

The 24-year-old said he wants to tackle Amir Khan next but judging by the response he got, that one is a non-starter...

_117998834_khan.jpg

Amir Khan pushed back on any calls for him to face Benn
So where do you take a young man who has relatively little experience but is moving at pace? Especially in a welterweight division in which the truly brilliant duo of Errol Spence Jr and Terence Crawford sit at the top.

"Would you go as far as the Shawn Porter or the Adrien Broner stop?" 5 Live Boxing analyst Steve Bunce asked BBC Sport boxing correspondent Mike Costello.

"I think both would sell massively," said Costello. "There's a danger at the moment as he's in a critical position in terms of where they position him next and where that leaves him if he gets towards Spence and Crawford too soon.

"That's why it has to be very steady from here on. Another name that cropped up for me was Jessie Vargas, who has been beaten three times by big names but not outclassed.

"As for Khan and Kell Brook, I can't see either of those two getting near welterweight.

"You are weighing what every promoter and boxer weighs up, risk against reward. What does he get for beating European champion David Avanesyan? I'm not sure it takes him on a great deal and it is a very difficult fight. If you asked me right now, I'd make Avanesyan favourite.

"I'd love to see it but I think the risk-reward weigh up, that one doesn't work for me right now.

He'd be in my top 5, although rating boxers from different eras is very subjective.

I don't think The Ring or Boxrec have him in their top 5.

My top 3 HWs would be -
Holmes
Louis
Liston

Homes had a great jab. He beat Alli - who is probably the actual best heavyweight of all time - but Alli wasn't in his prime when defeated by Holms. Holms maybe had the best jab of all-time: fast, powerful, an amazing defensive to rest behind, and also attack with - but can a boxer who’s all about a great jab be the best heavyweight ever? Similar applies to Lennox Lewis - relied on his jab, and beat the best when they were beyond their best.

Wasn't Tyson a champ at 20 years old? That is unheard of in heavy-weight boxing. It takes most years longer to build up to be the best. Not Tyson. In his early 20s he was so fast, aggressive, and absolutely feared - by larger very able boxers. Opponents would wilt in front of his ferocity. He wasn't the biggest but in his early career he was the most exciting and most dominant of boxers. For me only Alli betters early Tyson.

Last edited:
Hard to know with Tyson just how good he was because of prison. Had he fought Evander when scheduled we would know alot more. But the likes of Spinks and Berbick as your primes wins are not great TBH.

All true. He didn't stay at the top for long. He didn't put away many top top fighters. I'd say (the original) Razor Ruddock was an elite fighter, one of the hardest punchers around, and Tyson beat him twice. As a teen until about 23 Tyson had no fear, was hungry and focused. Essentially a street kid with no education, structure or foundation, he made millions and became famous. He stopped bobbing and weaving - see the video above. A bit like Fury against Klicho, he'd outmanoeuvre bigger fighters and dance inside to deliver fatal blows. But he rapidly got rich, ill-disciplined, stopped training, stopped bobbing and weaving, and probably started to feel some fear, where he'd been youthful and supremely confident. His star didn't shine for long, but when he was focused and hungry, no one was able to live with him. And there isn't another heavyweight I know of that was a Champion at 20.

All true. He didn't stay at the top for long. He didn't put away many top top fighters. I'd say (the original) Razor Ruddock was an elite fighter, one of the hardest punchers around, and Tyson beat him twice. As a teen until about 23 Tyson had no fear, was hungry and focused. Essentially a street kid with no education, structure or foundation, he made millions and became famous. He stopped bobbing and weaving - see the video above. A bit like Fury against Klicho, he'd outmanoeuvre bigger fighters and dance inside to deliver fatal blows. But he rapidly got rich, ill-disciplined, stopped training, stopped bobbing and weaving, and probably started to feel some fear, where he'd been youthful and supremely confident. His star didn't shine for long, but when he was focused and hungry, no one was able to live with him. And there isn't another heavyweight I know of that was a Champion at 20.

Yeh it's a shame we never saw his peak for longer. I find with Tyson his "what might have been" is bigger than what he actually done.

Yeh it's a shame we never saw his peak for longer. I find with Tyson his "what might have been" is bigger than what he actually done.

No one has done what he did at just 20 years old - becoming heavyweight champ. That is an impressive achievement. He didn't have the ingredients to keep it all on track. But his devastating, ferocious attacks in his youth, make him one of (or the most?) dangerous boxer of all time. He destroyed opponents making them look worse than they were.

I remember my dad getting an 11 year old me to watch Tyson - get this on ITV for free to watch an elimination series to unify the belts! The thing that he was so impressed by was the sheer volume of fights he has taken on in a space of time and at such a young age.
I guess the top fighters in the division were quite old at the time but he was a phenomenon who blew through it. It’s a tough one as I do think he ever won a close fight but I think that early part of his career will always be remembered as a unique one, his total legacy will be with a ‘what could have been’ question.

great post though, love a little prompt to be nostalgic.

...so impressed by was the sheer volume of fights he has taken on in a space of time
Maybe because each fight lasted about a minute and he only got punched a couple of times, then it was over. He could have fought every night of the week at that rate! :D

Parker Vs Chisora & Taylor Vs Jonas both on PPV this weekend.

Rumours that it's that last as Matchroom have signed a $1 billion deal with DAZN.

upload_2021-4-28_7-36-57.png

ake Paul just made himself a whole lot of money with a boxing match against Ben Askren that had the entire Internet talking. It helped that Paul knocked Askren out in the first round, and folks were quick to rush to social media claiming the fix was in. Even Chris Jericho participated!

Now, his brother, Logan, fresh off an appearance at WrestleMania 37, where he took a Stunner from Kevin Owens, will be getting in a boxing ring to take on fellow former WrestleMania attraction and legitimate boxing great Floyd Mayweather in an exhibition match.

They’ve been flirting with this for a while but it was just announced as official on Showtime pay-per-view on Sun., June 6, 2021, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida

Paul has boxed just once in his entire life, a loss to fellow YouTube star KSI in 2019 while Mayweather has been retired since 2017, having never been defeated in 50 career professional fights

Back