• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Denmark have now completely stopped the AZ vaccine rollout.

With the really miniscule odds of a clot per million doses, I don't see why there's such a panic.

Drugs used in pregnancy for pain relief apparently have a 1 in 10,000 chance of clots. The Ox/AZ vaccine is 1 in 250,000 chance.

https://science.thewire.in/health/sars-cov-2-variants-b117-b1617-india-second-wave-uncertain-future/

The government needs to quarantine everyone coming in for the foreseeable. Otherwise there will be another lock down. And all their good work on the vaccines, and the sacrifices in the previous lockdowns will be for nothing.

Yep and bizarrely they are ahead in the polls, don't really understand it.

We are going away to Wales and also the Lake District. Really do not see why foreign travel can't be stopped till all the variants are brought under control.

Looking like Israel is on the verge of herd immunity...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56722186
For Covid the estimated threshold for herd immunity is at least 65%-70%.... Reaching this level of population immunity is important to protect people who can't be vaccinated or whose immune system is too weak to produce a good, protective response.

In Israel, more than half (5.3 million) its residents have been vaccinated and an additional 830,000 people have tested positive for the virus in the past, which should give them some natural immunity. That works out as roughly 68% of the population who are likely to have antibodies in their blood which can fight off the virus.

Prof Eyal Leshem, a director at Israel's largest hospital, the Sheba Medical Center, said herd immunity was the "only explanation" for the fact that cases continued to fall even as more restrictions were lifted.

"There is a continuous decline despite returning to near normalcy," he said. "This tells us that even if a person is infected, most people they meet walking around won't be infected by them."

And cases are falling in all age groups including children, even though under-16s are not generally being vaccinated.

Let’s hope the arrival of a new variant doesn’t change things for them. They are a good test case.

Sounds like science is starting to get to grips with the variants and booster shots are imminent

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.u...ter-vaccines-against-variants-to-help-end-the
As coronavirus variants spread, scientists are fighting back. The good news is COVID-19 may have a limited number of dangerous mutations.

https://www.reuters.com/article/hea...-outcomes-found-with-uk-variant-idUSL1N2M7258

The company tested two new approaches against the variants - a single-dose "booster" for mice vaccinated months earlier with both doses of the original Moderna vaccine, and a separate new two-shot version combining the original vaccine with the booster in mice that had never been vaccinated. In both scenarios, according to a paper posted on Tuesday on bioRxiv ahead of peer review, the treated animals had "significant" levels of antibodies against the original strain of the virus and comparably high levels of antibodies capable of neutralizing both the B.1.351 South African variant and the P.1 Brazil variant. Tests of the two new vaccines in humans are already underway.

Because of the ability to carry the virus even with the vaccine I can't see travel being opened to the masses until other countries catch up with the vaccine roll out.

Yeah, no reason not to think that over the next 18 months or so that the vaccines won't be refined and significantly improved. The medium-term problem may be a variant (or variants) which significantly evades the vaccine before then. (And re-vaccinating the entire population at least one more time won't be staightforward). I think there may well be at least one more wave.

I sensed a bit of change in tone in government about the South African variant over the last day or two. There are growing indications that it is quite widely spread in London - and, therefore, probably around the country.

I sensed a bit of change in tone in government about the South African variant over the last day or two. There are growing indications that it is quite widely spread in London - and, therefore, probably around the country.

Or that it's more scaremongering from them so that they can block people's freedoms again !!
I still can't see us going to no restrictions on June 21st, they will make some brick up which will totally contradict the fact that 40m + have been vaccinated including all of the vulnerable

Or that it's more scaremongering from them so that they can block people's freedoms again !!
I still can't see us going to no restrictions on June 21st, they will make some brick up which will totally contradict the fact that 40m + have been vaccinated including all of the vulnerable

I don't understand why a Tory goverment (under Boris Johnson in particular) would unnecessarily block people's freedoms. Chile have vaccinated a large chunk of their population but are in a terrible state again.

We need to make sure we watch what is happening in coutries who are ahead of us and then react. We made the mistake of not doing that a year ago.

i think that's a bit overcooked. No one wants to block peoples freedom, certainly in the UK. This isn't North Korea.

As @Mikey10 stated, i think there's going to be some concern on the variants (and this happened because we had someone come to UK from SA in February knowing full well there was an SA variant about but we didn't have them redlisted. Foolish).

Quite frankly, couldn't give two bricks about open borders, the country needs to reopen and lockdown the borders, if that means no one can go abroad, who cares, at least get pubs, bars, stadiums full to the rafters again.

Edit: To add on Chile btw, the vaccine programme led to people completely dropping their guard and now the virus is spreading again, and hitting them again, and causing lockdowns again.

Unforutnately based on the sights of this week, where many young people who have not been vaccinated are out and mingling the same, i do worry the bounce will be bigger than anticipated.

Yeah, no reason not to think that over the next 18 months or so that the vaccines won't be refined and significantly improved. The medium-term problem may be a variant (or variants) which significantly evades the vaccine before then. (And re-vaccinating the entire population at least one more time won't be staightforward). I think there may well be at least one more wave.

London has pockets where the vaccine take up has been poor. So we should expect localised outbreaks especially within inner London.

London has pockets where the vaccine take up has been poor. So we should expect localised outbreaks especially within inner London.
and most of those are in the BAME community who have on the whole totally ignored lockdown rules over the past 15 months anyhow

i think that's a bit overcooked. No one wants to block peoples freedom, certainly in the UK. This isn't North Korea.

As @Mikey10 stated, i think there's going to be some concern on the variants (and this happened because we had someone come to UK from SA in February knowing full well there was an SA variant about but we didn't have them redlisted. Foolish).

Quite frankly, couldn't give two bricks about open borders, the country needs to reopen and lockdown the borders, if that means no one can go abroad, who cares, at least get pubs, bars, stadiums full to the rafters again.

Edit: To add on Chile btw, the vaccine programme led to people completely dropping their guard and now the virus is spreading again, and hitting them again, and causing lockdowns again.

Unforutnately based on the sights of this week, where many young people who have not been vaccinated are out and mingling the same, i do worry the bounce will be bigger than anticipated.
I know everyone is different, and everyone's experience of Covid is different and personally I have two lots of flights that I have to keep pushing back but I'm fully ok with rolling thru another spring and summer with only the lovely British isles as a destination. I'd love to go abroad but I don't need to, especially if it helps bring this virus to its knees.

Back