• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

We did not lose out to Saudi Sportswashing Machine because we don’t care enough we lost because we have no defensive cohesion or organisation!
Mourinho is making a poor defensive unit worse! The ‘Toby saga’ is very strange and only goes increase the concern with Mourinho’s current tenure!
We lost to Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

If players were capable of doing that of their own accord it would kinda make the managers job somewhat redundant

I believe that’s exactly the conclusion drawn in both Soccernimics and The Numbers Game, it’s been years since I read either though.

We did not lose out to Saudi Sportswashing Machine because we don’t care enough we lost because we have no defensive cohesion or organisation!
Mourinho is making a poor defensive unit worse! The ‘Toby saga’ is very strange and only goes increase the concern with Mourinho’s current tenure!

The Toby situation totally sums this club up imho.
Wasn't good enough two years ago and nobody wanted him on a cheap deal.
He showed no loyalty to us and when we couldn't shift him on kept him rather than let him go for nothing. Even though its obvious he is done.
And yet his partner in defence, who in my opinion was the better defender, we let go because he was "too old", even though he wanted to stay. And Jan was looking to move into a coaching role. A role we sorely need filled.
There's too many decisions made to improve the balance sheet at the detriment of the team.

Here's the bottom line.
Everyone wanted (and wants) him to succeed because we are supporters, and if he succeeds here then we win.
But he isn't panning out by his OWN declared initiatives, projections or metrics.
It isn't personal, it is obvious.

Here's the bottom line.
Everyone wanted (and wants) him to succeed because we are supporters, and if he succeeds here then we win.
But he isn't panning out by his OWN declared initiatives, projections or metrics.
It isn't personal, it is obvious.

We could win a cup and could qualify for the CL.

Would he be panning out at that point?

Most managers only have one plan. When things go south, they stick to it until the results are back. That's what Klopp's (the media darling) been doing at Dortmund and Liverpool. Same goes for Wenger or even Pochettino, for that matter. They have one receipe for success and they keep doing the same things over and over again, until somehow, they get back to winning ways.

At least, Mourinho tried a lot of different things to solve our problems at the back. He should be credited for that, even if, at the end of the day, it didn't work.

As for his comments on the press, I disagree with the majority: you should be allowed to speak your mind. People getting upset because the manager actually has something to say, instead of the tepid comments you hear all year long, is a sign of times, in my opinion. If you think a manager's job is to spew nonesense like 'we're taking it one game at time' and 'we respect everyone but we're afraid of no-one' or 'we played well but they were better on the day' all year long, fair enough. Me, I think it's the worst kind of flimflam and I'm willing to side with anyone who has the guts to try something different, no matter how biased his arguments are (aren't they all?).

What is our current identity?
Can you explain to me what identity Tottenham Hotspur has as a football team under Jose Mourinho?
That's a genuine question BTW, not me trying to be argumentative. I see a collection of good players, a few poor ones and a few brilliant ones but they all have one thing in common; they don't appear to be playing with a philosophy or identity beyond the binary "don't make mistakes and score more than the other lot"...which is certainly "an" approach, but I'd suggest that football (and the needs of supporters) have changed, developed even, beyond that simple metric.
I won't go any further on this before reading your answer mate; you're a careful and articulate writer and I enjoy your perspectives even if I don't always agree.

As for being allowed to "speak your mind" in the press, absolutely. If they are for the good of the club. Otherwise I'd rather he kept it in-house, because this divisive tomfoolery is unhelpful IMO, self-protective at best, and ultimately, counter-productive. And given that I'd rather he focussed on doing his job than delivering prime-time media soundbites, I'd take the platitudes all day long. Because for me, giving good "media" in that sense is not an important part of his job. Indeed, giving "smart" media is a part of his job IMO.

Having said that, he knows exactly what he's doing. He is no fool.

By the expectation he has set for himself, you could not argue that he had delivered and was therefore "panning out" IMO. That he is still in with a chance of top 4 is by the grace of others, but I'd willingly put that aside.

By the expectation he has set for himself, you could not argue that he had delivered and was therefore "panning out" IMO. That he is still in with a chance of top 4 is by the grace of others, but I'd willingly put that aside.

Your phrase ‘...by the grace of others’ feels relevant. For which top six side, aside from perhaps Emirates Marketing Project, have things ‘panned out’ over these past, highly unusual, 15 months?

Are Liverpool consistently playing with a definable style and identity at present? United? Arsenal? Chelsea?

I’m ambivalent about Mourinho at this point really. However, I hesitate to make too full a judgement given the highly unusual circumstances; the fact that he is still working with a core squad who have consistently failed at important hurdles under two managers now; there is no obvious replacement; and sacking him at this point (unlikely to happen in almost every circumstance until November of this year imo) will lead us into another season in which Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Sanchez etc will all still be here as a new manager seeks to ‘give them a chance’ - and Levy has the perfect excuse not to spend any money.

West Ham could still win the league.
Mourinho will lose to United next week, draw with Everton and get trashed by City (even though they rest players for the Champions League semi final 3 days later).
Anyone expecting anything else is a fantasist.

Mourinho will lose to United next week, draw with Everton and get trashed by City (even though they rest players for the Champions League semi final 3 days later).

Any chance of getting next week’s lottery numbers while you’re at it? :D

Back