• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

But this decline under Jose is after a refresh of the squad, albeit not all 11 players. That was not the case under Poch. I think you can trace his decline to the loss of Wanyama and Dembele, particularly the latter. This current malaise is more worrying as back 4 aside, we should have more squad quality than in the last 2 seasons of Poch.

Yeah I don’t disagree that the circumstances are different and Jose doesn’t have any excuses, I was just responding to a comment that Poch had a bad start but the decline actually stretched back far longer.

We couldn’t throw money around like Liverpool did.

Yeah, it's one of those situations where it's hard to pin blame imo - stadium build is a very solid reason to justify the lack of spending and the lack of spending itself is also a solid reason for the regression on the pitch. Doesn't help those that need a bogey-man to blame everything on but that's the truth of what happened imo

Without wanting to get into another Poch debate, we were going backwards in the league for a couple of years. We lost 13 league games in 2018/19. We can debate all day for the reasons why that happened but the decline was steady from 2016/17. Went from 86 points, to 77 to 71 IRRC over three seasons.

As for Jose, I want him gone as soon as the season finishes if we lose the cup final and don’t finish in the top 4.

"We went from 86 points to 77..."
I'll just leave that there.

It is hard to see it getting any better next season unless he changes 10 players in and 10 players out.

It is not Mourinho's way but he would do better with young players who would run all day for him.
Unfortunately integrating young players is not a strength Mourinho has ever previously displayed and doesn't really suit his M.O. he likes experienced pros who know their strengths and weaknesses already, he likes players who are the finished article.

Get him those kind of players and he can be successful, unfortunately for Daniel Levy those are the most expensive type of player.

Last edited:
I don't think it comes down to that, there will be more money lost by not improving - this is his guy, the one he wanted so he will give him as long as possible.

Best manager he ever had is out the door after a poor 12 game start to the season whilst this guy is going to get 2 years + of no progress no questions asked, makes me sick
Yes but that £30m is likely to be a very large chunk of our transfer budget (perhaps the whole budget?). Imagine the furore when Levy has to come out and say there’s no money for players after paying £30m to get rid of Jose due to the terrible deal he has done to employ him?

Without wanting to get into another Poch debate, we were going backwards in the league for a couple of years. We lost 13 league games in 2018/19. We can debate all day for the reasons why that happened but the decline was steady from 2016/17. Went from 86 points, to 77 to 71 IRRC over three seasons.

As for Jose, I want him gone as soon as the season finishes if we lose the cup final and don’t finish in the top 4.
Oh how I long for being able to go backwards to CL qualifications via league position (not to mention along runs to the CL final). All while the manager was given thoroughly inadequate backing by the owners of £3m of net funds per transfer window.

Oh how I long for being able to go backwards to CL qualifications via league position (not to mention along runs to the CL final). All while the manager was given thoroughly inadequate backing by the owners of £3m of net funds per transfer window.
Not quite as simple as that. Poch did great things with the original squad he built and developed, but it was clearly on the decline - he went from finishing 2nd to finishing 3rd, to finishing 4th and the year he was sacked we certainly weren’t going to be coming top 4 so yes we were on the decline and no I’m not pinning the blame on Pochs door although he wasn’t blameless....

Unless Levy was financially able/prepared to bankroll Mourinho getting him was a huge risk. Then you add covid into the mix I genuinely think Levy's hands became tied. He can't get rid of Mourinho due to the high cost of paying him off and he can't afford to buy the quality players required.
So we are stuck!

I don't see a quick route out of this. Quite what the future holds for THFC is hard to call.

"We went from 86 points to 77..."
I'll just leave that there.

And 71 the year after mate. And as others have said, we certainly weren’t finishing top 4 in Poch’s last season the way it was going. Poch is by far the best manager we’ve had in the PL era but I don’t think we need to pretend everything was great before he was sacked. We lost 20 games in all comps in his last full season. I won’t disagree that the squad needed a refresh but the squad still had more than enough quality to be losing 20 games (13 of those in the league).

Not quite as simple as that. Poch did great things with the original squad he built and developed, but it was clearly on the decline - he went from finishing 2nd to finishing 3rd, to finishing 4th and the year he was sacked we certainly weren’t going to be coming top 4 so yes we were on the decline and no I’m not pinning the blame on Pochs door although he wasn’t blameless....
Of course it was on the decline.... The manager was given only £3m net per window to improve upon it. That is always going to mean regressing over the medium to long term due to our rivals investing large amounts to make improvements. You need to invest decent sums in this league just to maintain your position.

But unfortunately a theory debunked by the mans own words

I think that's the most damning argument against him. Sure, the football has been incredibly dire but we knew what we were getting when he was appointed. Quite frankly, there isn't a single player from our back four that's good enough to play in a title-chasing team and our goalkeeper is something of a liability. We have a couple of quality players but we're nowhere near good enough to even dream of winning the Premier League, and the table shows just that.

If you only look at the results, I think you could say he's doing a decent job. We're in the hunt for a place in the Top 4 which is where we're supposed to be. Of course, that's mostly down to our competitors' inability to conjure any sort of lasting form but the same could be said about us.

No, what really bothers me is the fact that he hasn't been able to change the spirit within the squad. We're still a team of bottlers. When there's an opportunity to make a statement, we're found wanting and (in my opinion) it's not a matter of talent or quality - it's in the head. He's been around for more than a year and I don't see any improvement there. We gave up in Zagreb. When we had the chance to get back into the Top 4 yesterday, we found a way to produce one of our worst performances of the season.

Tactical mistakes happen. You can't change your whole squad in one window. Sometimes, things don't go your way and you can be unlucky with injuries but, as a fan, I'm truly disappointed with the lack of progress when it comes to our mentality. I believe he could have made a difference there and he didn't.

Last edited:
I think that's the most damning argument against him. Sure, the football has been incredibly dire but we knew what we were getting when he was appointed. Quite frankly, there isn't a single player from our back four that's good enough to play in a title-chasing team and our goalkeeper is something of a liability. We have a couple of quality players but we're nowhere near good enough to even dream of winning the Premier League, and the table shows just that.

If you only look at the results, I think you could say he's doing a decent job. We're in the hunt for a place in the Top 4 which is where we're supposed to be. Of course, that's mostly down to our competitors' inability to conjure any sort of lasting form but the same could be said about us.

No, what really bothers me is the fact that he hasn't been able to change the spirit within the squad. We're still a team a bottlers. When there's an opportunity to make a statement, we're found wanting and (in my opinion) it's not a matter of talent or quality - it's in the head. He's been around for more than a year and I don't see any improvement there. We gave up in Zagreb. When we had the change to get back into the Top 4 yesterday, we found a way to produce one of our worst performances of the season.

Tactical mistakes happen. You can't change your whole squad in one window. Sometimes, things don't go your way and you can be unlucky with injuries but, as a fan, I'm truly disappointed with the lack of progress when it comes to our meteorology. I believe he could have made a difference there and he didn't.

I think that's fair, the one thing I thought Jose would guarantee was the death of sp ur sy.

If he can't do it we are proper fudged.

Back