• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Surely there are t actually really people out there who support a manager instead of a team?.... Well other than Baleforce maybe? :D
I can imagine Guardiola has a few fan boys and I know Allardyce garnered quite a bit of neutral respect for drinking pints of wine. Surely not enough to make anyone follow West Brom who didn’t have to though?

Surely there are t actually really people out there who support a manager instead of a team?.... Well other than Baleforce maybe? :D

I think there are. I heard a Spurs podcster (I don’t remember which one) say, that as soon as José was appointed, that he got a bunch of follows by people (from all over the world) who were Mourinho fanboys.

Indefensible arrogance from a man who has thus far failed in his mission here with aplomb. I look forward to his GG "Mourinistas" springing to their feet in slavish defence. But the truth is, if your mate spoke to you like that you'd tell him to learn how to communicate (at best) or go and fudge himself (more possibly)...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...cs-mourinistas-one-of-most-important-managers
Trumpian levels of arrogance. He truly believes he is The Chosen One.

Plenty on here who still do not get over the fact he got sacked. No prizes for guessing his biggest one. :eek:

You know what I laugh at PL1?
Every time there is a criticism of Mourinho, someone (it must be said often your good self) brings up our previous manager (this post has nothing to do with him other than Lemonade stirring the pot) and tries to land a sneak punch.
Who are you referring to?

Again, if this sort of narcissism is acceptable to you and others, then I can only say I deeply, deeply disagree. Regardless of WHO was here before.

For me Jose is very close to failing the minimum objectives that have been set for previous managers of the club. There is still the remote possibility that he delivers a trophy or top 4, or both or deliver our worst league finish without a trophy for nearly 20 years.

If I was playing devils advocate, he has referred to himself as one of the greatest managers in the game, which I think history will remember him as. The debate is whether he still is or was!
The NASA comment, of course comparing football to rocket science is extreme. Just ask Ian Dowie!

But he is correct that the level of scrutiny is huge and this place is evidence enough that there is a huge wave of opinion on every decision that is made, many of which are difficult to prove are anything other than a theory with less available information and experience of making the level of decisions he has been making for over 20 years.

One could infer he is embracing the technology that has given fans the channel to ask these questions directly, as it seems these quotes can from a virtual event.

The Mourinhista - the headline needs to entice a click, even for the Saints that run Grauniad. A link to this was sent to me with the impression that Jose’s motivation is for his personal fans as opposed to the fans of Tottenham Hotspur. What I read from this is despite a public kicking he has been receiving (not unjustified in terms of results and performances imo) is that he draws strength from those who believe in him, so the same people that he’s never met who criticise are offset with those who are unwavering on his support.

don’t get me wrong, it would take a big upturn in the run in for me to change my view that he is not right for us on results and progression alone, but as we are a one game swing from 4th and a one off match to win a much coveted trophy things can change very quickly. The article doesn’t really change my feelings but will come back bite him if he does indeed fail here. I saw Bale has upset people with comments regarding his motivation to get fit for Wales and return to Madrid but again there’s still a few more games to come before we can’t truly judge whether his time on the pitch here has been a success.

His successes as a manager are clear and indisputable.

I don't know of any manager in football who speaks of themselves like this. When Guardiola was under the cosh he didn't.

van Gaal, Capello, Saachi, Lobanovskyi, Guttman, Clough, Cruyff

Find me the quotes. On a repeat basis. Cruyff? He was a wordsmith. I have read both his book and two books about him, not even close to this bloke. Capello? Did he speak? Guttman? The AC Milan coach who was tortured during the holocaust and survived? Van Gaal? Close I would agree and I was fudging petrified we'd end up with the clam.

As for Clough, if you cannot see the difference between the two then I cannot explain. I agree he is the closest, but still nowhere near Mourinho and much wittier and smarter.

Find me the quotes. On a repeat basis. Cruyff? He was a wordsmith. I have read both his book and two books about him, not even close to this bloke. Capello? Did he speak? Guttman? The AC Milan coach who was tortured during the holocaust and survived? Van Gaal? Close I would agree and I was fudging petrified we'd end up with the clam.

As for Clough, if you cannot see the difference between the two then I cannot explain. I agree he is the closest, but still nowhere near Mourinho and much wittier and smarter.

The difference is in the opportunity to be quoted imo.

They were all known for their arrogance, as are most highly decorated sports professionals.

I’m struggling to think of anyone consistently at the peak of their sport, who isn’t an absolute clam.

They were all known for their arrogance, as are most highly decorated sports professionals.

I’m struggling to think of anyone consistently at the peak of their sport, who isn’t an absolute clam.
Federer?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/sep/11/us-open-2011-federer-djokovic

"It's awkward having to explain this loss," a tetchy Federer said, "because I feel like I should be doing the other press conference."

There followed a string of excuses and justifications which not only were barely sustainable given the evidence but seriously disrespected the winner.

Asked about the quite remarkable forehand winner Djokovic hit to save match point, Federer reckoned the Serb did not look at that point like someone "who believes much anymore in winning. To lose against someone like that, it's very disappointing, because you feel like he was mentally out of it already. Just gets the lucky shot at the end, and off you go."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/jun/19/roger-federer-rafael-nadal-wimbledon-2011

There were a couple of other post-defeat statements in Paris that not only betrayed Federer's deep disappointment in finishing an otherwise good tournament a loser yet again to Nadal, but suggested he was struggling to rationalise the reasons for his defeat.

"It's always me who's going to dictate play and decide how the outcome is going to be," he said. "If I play well, I will most likely win in the score or beat him; if I'm not playing so well, that's when he wins."

I disagree wholeheartedly.
Confidence and arrogance are certainly part of any great professional. So is a touch of off the scale (Maradona).
But narcissism on Mourinho's scale is unparalleled IMO. I cannot think of anyone who is more self-appreciative, not even Ronaldo II.

Peak of their career me sportsmen who don't consistently sound like Mourinho...

Beckham
Messi
Low
Guardiola
Klopp (yes he has a mouth but it is not third person)
Hamilton
Woods (other issues of course)
Zidane (the anti-Mou and more successful)

Just for starters...

You know what I laugh at PL1?
Every time there is a criticism of Mourinho, someone (it must be said often your good self) brings up our previous manager (this post has nothing to do with him other than Lemonade stirring the pot) and tries to land a sneak punch.
Who are you referring to?

Again, if this sort of narcissism is acceptable to you and others, then I can only say I deeply, deeply disagree. Regardless of WHO was here before.

Look in the mirror mate. But its all about o pinions and we will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
@thfcsteff it’s easy to avoid all this stuff, I’m generally a fan of the bloke but I listen to very little of what he says in the press, or anyone else in the game really.

It should also be remembered that he has said many times in the past that he will say any old brick if it takes the attention or pressure away from other areas.

You can’t control him, but you can control your reaction to him.

Back