• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

I think Di Maria was subbed during the game because as he was playing his house was burgled when family were there. Marquinhos burgled too. As they were playing. Probably put a slight spanner in the works don't you think?
WTF is he doing allowing outside influences to get to his players?

Far too soft for the top jobs.

When he toughens up he'll have a future.

Lol I hear both but never either more or loathed one less.
Both have proven that it's not the manager.
My guess it's the transfer committee who are at the root of our problems. Probably their weakness is the inability to shift out deadwood quickly.
I'd expect Jose to take every cent, the difference is

- Poch constantly proclaims his love for the club, Jose admits it's his job (he may love his job but his loyalty is to who is currently paying him)
- Some people want to make Poch out to be some fudging saint who Spurs wronged

All I'm saying is he wasn't some saint who put Spurs above all else, he did what was right for him (and fair play) but if we just do what is right for each other, he hasn't earned a return especially when we just barely finished paying him off.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

You think he should allow stuff like that to get to players during a match?

That's why he doesn't win.

I don't know whether he "allowed" it or not. It happened. I suggested it was a reason. You then went on the troll. As you do. Some of us are, after all, your "entertainment" right?

I don't know whether he "allowed" it or not. It happened. I suggested it was a reason. You then went on the troll. As you do. Some of us are, after all, your "entertainment" right?
All of this is entertainment. That doesn't mean it's trolling.

These are elite athletes actively engaging in competition. Their environment should be controlled and focused on winning. If people or phones are bringing in messages he should be stopping that too.

These are elite athletes actively engaging in competition. Their environment should be controlled and focused on winning. If people or phones are bringing in messages he should be stopping that too.

You tell him Scara. I am sure he needs your advice.
FWIW he has achieved success you would never comprehend; the respect of many many many people, including those ready to pay him enough money to buy an Aston Martin each week. Perhaps you should advise them too.

Trollhound.

If your wife and kids were home while your house was being burgled and you were at work, presumably you wouldn't want to hear about it until you'd finished your elite bean-counting work for the day.
My work is rarely immediate or compressed into 90 minute chunks.

It doesn't matter whether the player would want to know, it's whether the manager chooses to let them know. Telling the player makes him a nice guy, it's also what's going to stop him achieving all that his talent might allow him to.

I actually agree. How did that message manage to get from the family to the players. Everyone on that bench should be focussed on the game. If it was a back office person who then came in to the stands etc that's different, but if someone on the bench had a phone I don't think that's right, should be left in the dressing room.

I'm sure in all our working lives there's times when we can't be reached, even if it was an emergency.

If you do a normal job, of course you’d want to know immediately, but if you are a brain surgeon in the middle of an operation, a nuclear reactor maintenance engineer, an airline pilot then the timing isn’t the same.

I can see why some would consider a professional sports person as closer to that group.

PSG win that league every year so it’s not a good look if they don’t win it this season. Can’t see them getting past Bayern in the CL. But to be fair Poch took the job mid season so it would be harsh of them to sack him less than a year into the job. Ultimately the CL will define him and whether he’s there for the long haul or not because they always win the league. Winning the CL is unknown territory for them.

My work is rarely immediate or compressed into 90 minute chunks.

It doesn't matter whether the player would want to know, it's whether the manager chooses to let them know. Telling the player makes him a nice guy, it's also what's going to stop him achieving all that his talent might allow him to.

Your outlook on management is not the only one. Like your outlook on what constitutes success, etc.
Nothing wrong with that of course, except for your insufferable insistence that yours is the only metric by which life should be measured.
I won't bother trying to explain how such management can get an extra 20% when most needed...you wouldn't understand.

Your outlook on management is not the only one. Like your outlook on what constitutes success, etc.
Nothing wrong with that of course, except for your insufferable insistence that yours is the only metric by which life should be measured.
I won't bother trying to explain how such management can get an extra 20% when most needed...you wouldn't understand.
Oh I absolutely would, I'd just disagree that it's relevant to this kind of occupation.

You wouldn't tell a member of the armed forces in a live firefight, you wouldn't tell a policeman in active pursuit, as mentioned above, you wouldn't tell a surgeon in the middle of an operation.

Oh I absolutely would, I'd just disagree that it's relevant to this kind of occupation.

You wouldn't tell a member of the armed forces in a live firefight, you wouldn't tell a policeman in active pursuit, as mentioned above, you wouldn't tell a surgeon in the middle of an operation.

Correct.
This is football. Not the subjects above.
We still don't know if they were told before the game ended.

Correct.
This is football. Not the subjects above.
We still don't know if they were told before the game ended.
Obviously it's a moot point if they weren't.

Why should football be any different to those other professions? It requires the same level of focus and expertise.

“In December 2018, after a full analysis of the coach, his staff and the team, I recommended that we should change Ernesto Valverde,” said Abidal. “I said to the president ‘I think this is the decision you have to take now’. And he told me ‘no, it’s not easy’. Instead, he took the decision to renew the contract of the coach two months later - the opposite of what I had suggested. Of course, I accepted the decision and continued to give the coach my full support, but it was a little bit strange for me after I said to the president that it was better to change him.”

Less than 12 months after extending his contract, Barcelona did finally sack Valverde in January last year, but Abidal once again found that politics took a front seat in the decision making process when it came to appointing his successor.

Speaking for over an hour on a video call from his home in Barcelona, where he lives with his wife and five children, Abidal said: “On my list was Mauricio Pochettino, Quique Setien, Max Allegri and Xavi Hernandez. Quique was appointed, but my first option was Pochettino.”

Asked if he ever spoke to Pochettino, who played for and managed Barcelona’s city rivals Espanyol, Abidal added: “Yes and not only me. I told the board ‘I have to bring the best coach we can in the market. I’m not here for politics because he was before in Espanyol’. For me, it’s not politics. I wanted the best and Pochettino is one of the best in our game. He reached the Champions League final with Tottenham, you have to respect this, he has a good philosophy of playing, a good philosophy of training, players love him and I think he would be a better coach now for this situation, but with a real project.”

Pochettino’s Espanyol background was not the only problem for Bartomeu and the Barcelona board, who had been unimpressed with a joke he had made while he was manager of Spurs about preferring to work on a farm in Argentina than “in some places.”

“I knew there was a political problem because I gave my argument to the board and some answers were focused on Espanyol and not on the technical part,” said Abidal. “And I think he did an interview many years ago, I will not say he talked bad about the club, he said something about going to Argentina first before he will train Barcelona. This was a problem for some people’s egos and they said ‘no because he’s not respecting the club’.

“But many years ago (Jose) Mourinho said Barcelona was always in his heart and he became the coach of Real Madrid because this happens in careers and different situations present themselves. You don’t have to mix politics with professional decisions, but Barcelona is a unique club with a large board and many people making the decisions.”

Interesting.

It's important to note that Jose went to Madrid after being overlooked by Barca.

Shooting yourself in the foot to allow tribal nonsense to dictate where you work or who you hire, I've worked for a couple of companies in the same industry, the other side isn't evil, it's just a different logo on the business card.

Obviously it's a moot point if they weren't.

Why should football be any different to those other professions? It requires the same level of focus and expertise.
And of course, as the famous Bill Shankly quote says:

“Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

Which means that the player should NEVER have been told what happened. If Poch had an ounce of success in his lemony-fresh aura he would have replaced the player's family with replicants so that he never would know or have the distractions that life brings. Once he gets on board with this proper way of thinking he will be worthy of an ounce of respect.

Back