• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Japhet Tanganga

I think the issue with the experienced ones is age or experience
Toby - too old
Dier - still relatively inexperienced at CB at this level but is deemed to be a senior one
Sanchez - needed more experience before coming here
Davies - not a CB

I mean it’s slim pickings really
It’s what we had last season at full back where we had no options and even with Davies being a very weak link it’s improved dramatically (and he would look better at with more commanding CBS)
My other observations are that Sanchez and Davies do not get any distance on headed clearances, which invites further pressure and Davies Dier and Toby are all slow to turn when squared up against quicker players.
I’m not sure any amount of experience will ever convince me that Sanchez will be a reliable centre back - too many technical flaws on the ball and his lack of balance means he’d lose a shoulder to shoulder with his own shadow. I can only think that he was part of a well drilled unit at Ajax where he was the spare man and swept up every lose end in the one match we scouted him in. I think we have a pool of players now that we’d love to offload but as their level would be lower than ours I can’t see who would match their wages, let alone pay a fee. We could probably carry one of any of those players in the team, maybe two depending on the opposition but at the moment it seems like half the team are sub standard.

Nice
Looked to me like everyone wanted to move to target Davies as they didn’t like the close contact from Tanganga

Have a feeling, Mourinho sees him as a Gallas. A player that can cover three positions in defence. Hope he plays as good as Gallas rather than Boulahrouz (I smile anytime I remember Keane dropping him then crossing for Lennon to score).

Been very impressive as a defensive full back. It's quite a change from that to being a regular starter at CB for us, but he seems to have at least some of the required attributes down already.

Personally I think both him and Rodon would deserve a run at CB if given the chance. No one is staking a real claim of the more senior centre backs at least.

Would probably need to have someone with more experience next to them. Part of the problem is that I'm not sure who that experienced CB that can help them out at this stage is? Alderweireld? Dier? Sanches? I guess Alderweireld is the best bet, but he's not exactly top level himself these days.

Been very impressive as a defensive full back. It's quite a change from that to being a regular starter at CB for us, but he seems to have at least some of the required attributes down already.

Personally I think both him and Rodon would deserve a run at CB if given the chance. No one is staking a real claim of the more senior centre backs at least.

Would probably need to have someone with more experience next to them. Part of the problem is that I'm not sure who that experienced CB that can help them out at this stage is? Alderweireld? Dier? Sanches? I guess Alderweireld is the best bet, but he's not exactly top level himself these days.
Would prefer he learns from Toby than those other two.

Reactions: DTA
Yup, definitely think Toby and Tanganga should be our #1 CB pairing for a while. I think it’s a shame Jose seems to see Japhet more as a full back, partly because I think CB is a bigger need for us right now (with Aurier performing better than Dier or Sanchez).

Played really well. Would like to see him get a run of games at centre back. Although fear he may not be big enough for Jose's liking

For the moment I'd rather have him in vs. Doherty

Did well tonight helping out the CBs from FB (something we may have missed?)
Yes that's without question! We definitely need to strengthen right back. Not sure who though. Aaron's will be too expensive.

Yes that's without question! We definitely need to strengthen right back. Not sure who though. Aaron's will be too expensive.

Aaron's has never wowed me (not that I've seen a lot of him), I think he's a risk for the money.

Sell Doherty back to Wolves (they seem to be willing), but a new player, bed him in with Aurier and Tanganga as rotation for more/less attacking options

Back