• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I think The Extra Inch podcast made a fair point recently - when doubting the players motivations - you have to think about the amount of hours and effort these elite players have put in to get to where they are. You don't get to the Premier League without being a driven individual - one that with the right management wouldn't be particularly hard to motivate. You're not dealing with teenagers not wanting to do dishes, these guys are professionals at what they do, and they would never be where they are unless they were highly motivated in the first place.

So when you see a drop in motivation from a whole group of players, you've got to ask if the guy responsible for motivating them is doing a good enough job. I don't think the players are faultless necessarily, I just don't buy into the idea that our players are impossible to motivate - they're elite athletes, and driven by default.

A shrewd DoF might’ve sold Dier to ManU back when his stock was still high and they were desperate enough to spend £40m on Matic.

Same with Rose he should have been sold when his stock was high.

I like everyone loves Kane but i think we have held on to players for to long in some circumstances. I like the Dortmund model and think it is a good way to go, building the stadium has hurt us because of the finances, but now we have it when we have our next great team we will be able to keep hold of the players better because we will have extra revenue.

It striker me that the improvement in Arsenal is largely down to their academy players like Saka and Smith-Rowe, we really need to promote and play academy players more. I would go really radical and actually get rid of about 12 players from our squad bring in 6 new faces and then 6 academy players to fill the squad out.

Mourinho is not the right manager to do that.

He would also have sold Eriksen before things got bad. I think we need to be more aggressive with our transfer policy. Sometimes you have to sell a fan favorite if there's a decent offer on the table, not wait until a player is broken and nobody wants him.

I think the spectre of Sol cnut Campbell looms large over this, it is like we dont want that to happen again so we have given long contracts or try to hold on to players for to long. I know we dont always sign the right players but having the money to reinvest i think is crucial and it is something we have not done well recently.

A shrewd DoF might’ve sold Dier to ManU back when his stock was still high and they were desperate enough to spend £40m on Matic.

We'd have all been pretty sick about that at the time, we were ahead of United in the table and Dier was a valued part of the squad, there would have been a negative effect on Alli possibly too.

Same with Rose he should have been sold when his stock was high.

I like everyone loves Kane but i think we have held on to players for to long in some circumstances. I like the Dortmund model and think it is a good way to go, building the stadium has hurt us because of the finances, but now we have it when we have our next great team we will be able to keep hold of the players better because we will have extra revenue.

It striker me that the improvement in Arsenal is largely down to their academy players like Saka and Smith-Rowe, we really need to promote and play academy players more. I would go really radical and actually get rid of about 12 players from our squad bring in 6 new faces and then 6 academy players to fill the squad out.

Mourinho is not the right manager to do that.

Aside from the Mourinho is not the right manager. I think that is the ideal aim. However it depends on the quality of your academy. Spurs academy ain't that good at the moment.

We'd have all been pretty sick about that at the time, we were ahead of United in the table and Dier was a valued part of the squad, there would have been a negative effect on Alli possibly too.
It would’ve been a brave transfer to sanction but a top notch DoF might’ve foreseen that Dier was never going to become a great CB and I’m sure that Dele would’ve learnt to cope with the separation, just as Son has since Wimmer was sold.

It would’ve been a brave transfer to sanction but a top notch DoF might’ve foreseen that Dier was never going to become a great CB and I’m sure that Dele would’ve learnt to cope with the separation, just as Son has since Wimmer was sold.

Maybe, but at the time the manager would have been telling the DoF that they saw Dier as a DM who would drop in only when we were pushing up.

I think The Extra Inch podcast made a fair point recently - when doubting the players motivations - you have to think about the amount of hours and effort these elite players have put in to get to where they are. You don't get to the Premier League without being a driven individual - one that with the right management wouldn't be particularly hard to motivate. You're not dealing with teenagers not wanting to do dishes, these guys are professionals at what they do, and they would never be where they are unless they were highly motivated in the first place.

So when you see a drop in motivation from a whole group of players, you've got to ask if the guy responsible for motivating them is doing a good enough job. I don't think the players are faultless necessarily, I just don't buy into the idea that our players are impossible to motivate - they're elite athletes, and driven by default.

Ermm I would agree but football is full of such examples where players do not remain with the same level of interest as when they start playing. My favourite player is one of them Ronaldinho, he got bored of football. Some players think success is a big wage contract and then can't be arsed. Some think it is recognition that they have arrived. In all, they get less hungrier with advances or improvements in life. We remember the examples of players like Adebayor; players who people felt played well when a new contract was required

This is why I can respect players like Zlatan, Lampard, Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Javier Zanetti - players who keep on motivating themselves. They don't give less.

For example I know Dele Alli was hungry when he started. I don't see that now. This is one of the common perceptions about young football players. They don't remain hungry especially when the big money arrives.

Ermm I would agree but football is full of such examples where players do not remain with the same level of interest as when they start playing. My favourite player is one of them Ronaldinho, he got bored of football. Some players think success is a big wage contract and then can't be arsed. Some think it is recognition that they have arrived. In all, they get less hungrier with advances or improvements in life. We remember the examples of players like Adebayor; players who people felt played well when a new contract was required

This is why I can respect players like Zlatan, Lampard, Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Javier Zanetti - players who keep on motivating themselves. They don't give less.

For example I know Dele Alli was hungry when he started. I don't see that now. This is one of the common perceptions about young football players. They don't remain hungry especially when the big money arrives.

Agree generally, not sure about Alli, other demons at play there I think.

Another great example is Owen, even when the injuries killed his pace he was still an expert goal scorer but he just didn't want to do it, he was far more interested in his horses.

I think the spectre of Sol cnut Campbell looms large over this, it is like we dont want that to happen again so we have given long contracts or try to hold on to players for to long. I know we dont always sign the right players but having the money to reinvest i think is crucial and it is something we have not done well recently.

It's what Leicester have done and what we used to do when we're putting together our best squads, sell high and buy low. Our best players in the last decade or two have generally been the unpolished gems we've taken a chance on before they became established superstars and cost three times as much. Redknapp and Poch were then the right guy at the right time to get the best out of those squads.

True that. I think you can apply that to some individuals for sure, but to several members of a top club in the state we're in? You think they've given up because they've had their pay day? Just speculation from me obviously, but I don't see that. I think the players look more lost or deflated than can't be bothered, but that's probably me interpreting what I'd like it to be. I just don't think the current situation we're in can be blamed solely on the players. And ultimately, regardless of how the players perform, Jose is the guy in charge. If they're all so fed up, play the youngsters then - what's the point of playing fed up players?

True that. I think you can apply that to some individuals for sure, but to several members of a top club in the state we're in? You think they've given up because they've had their pay day? Just speculation from me obviously, but I don't see that. I think the players look more lost or deflated than can't be bothered, but that's probably me interpreting what I'd like it to be. I just don't think the current situation we're in can be blamed solely on the players. And ultimately, regardless of how the players perform, Jose is the guy in charge. If they're all so fed up, play the youngsters then - what's the point of playing fed up players?

How many of the players we consider up for sale will be sold to a club of our level?

Alli?

That’s about it, for most of them they have made it by just playing for a club with a profile bigger than their actual ability - no wonder they switch off.

Can you imagine the repetitive posts about how Levy undermined Poch when he sold Dier and Eriksen! Lol. They should have been sold earlier, but not before we are done with them, or if they aren't signing a new contract. I think it's more case of selling at any price in order to remove their poison and wages, so they don't hang around any longer than necessary.

Can you imagine the repetitive posts about how Levy undermined Poch when he sold Dier and Eriksen! Lol. They should have been sold earlier, but not before we are done with them, or if they aren't signing a new contract. I think it's more case of selling at any price in order to remove their poison and wages, so they don't hang around any longer than necessary.
You only sell key players when you have a replacement of similar quality in place, or you risk a massive drop in the team performances. We have sold key players before and the problem is we fall back for a while until we replace them, if ever.

Poch would have sold Eriksen if he had a replacement of similar quality. I understand that was why he was interested in Grealish. When that didn’t pan out then it is difficult to sell one of your key players without a replacement. Look at the situation with a Dembele, we have still not really properly replaced him. The same applied to Carrick in Jol’s time, Berbatov and Keane during Ramos’s reign and Modric during AVB’s. The lack of money for new signings hampered us by allowing our squad to go stale. Top teams refresh constantly otherwise they don’t remain top. Something Liverpool have discovered this season.

We sold Walker at his peak, how did that work out?

A lot of after timing here that doesn't really stack up imo

Of all the multitude of options available to us in any given circumstance the majority of which would have seen us regress - we were already punching well above our weight, sure in some decisions if the 1 in ten correct choice was made it'd improved us but let's not pretend the odds were stacked in our favour

Last edited:
You only sell key players when you have a replacement of similar quality in place, or you risk a massive drop in the team performances. We have sold key players before and the problem is we fall back for a while until we replace them, if ever.

Poch would have sold Eriksen if he had a replacement of similar quality. I understand that was why he was interested in Grealish. When that didn’t pan out then it is difficult to sell one of your key players without a replacement. Look at the situation with a Dembele, we have still not really properly replaced him. The same applied to Carrick in Jol’s time, Berbatov and Keane during Ramos’s reign and Modric during AVB’s. The lack of money for new signings hampered us by allowing our squad to go stale. Top teams refresh constantly otherwise they don’t remain top. Something Liverpool have discovered this season.
Eriksen wasn’t sold as none of the teams he wanted, wanted him
The rest I agree with

If an experienced manager like Mourinho fails at Spurs, not sure who else can bring glory back to Spurs. As long as Levy is the chairman with his money-minded policy, we can never progress on the field. His time as chairman from 2001 until now is easily the worst period in Spurs' history. There have been too many lows than highs during his time as chairman.

There was a window where he could've gone. Levy shut the door.
What window?
All the talk I heard was he wanted Barca or Madrid level
Even when he had 6 months left and was super cheap for his record ... one team can in and that was it
I heard that at the club by the way from some people when I was in the corporate.

What window?
All the talk I heard was he wanted Barca or Madrid level
Even when he had 6 months left and was super cheap for his record ... one team can in and that was it
I heard that at the club by the way from some people when I was in the corporate.

More to the whole story from my sources but all good, gone now.

Back