• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Old Guard/Bad Eggs - POLL ADDED

Who do you SELL?

• Aurier

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Davies

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Sanchez

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • Dier

Votes: 55 80.9%
  • Winks

Votes: 52 76.5%
  • Sissoko

Votes: 55 80.9%
  • Lamela

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Moura

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Dele

Votes: 32 47.1%

• Total voters
We don't need a rebuild. We neededa rebuild 2 years + ago but we've done a lot of the work post CL final, don't let the wrong manager being in charge distract from that.

What i will say regarding the squad is that there is definitely some fat that needs trimming and there's several players that can be moved on where we already have capable options available.

Sessegnon > Davies
Skipp > Sissoko
Tanganga > Dier
Rodon > Sanchez

That's four young players already on our books which can be used as cover without there being any obvious drop in quality - you could possibly even include the Portuguese RB that we have seen a couple of times in the EL, Lavenier bring him in, sell Doherty & Aurier and buy Aarons.

Lloris/New Gk
Aarons
/Lavenier
Regulion/Sessegnon
Alderweireld/Tanganga
New CB/Rodon
Hojbjerg/Skipp
Ndombele/New CM
GLC/New AM
Son/Bergwijn
Kane/Vinicius

Sell : Hart, Davies, Aurier, Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Lamela, Moura, Bale, Foyth

13 players out, 5 players in and a leaner younger squad ready to be moulded by a modern manager free of the old squad players who seemingly are stinking the place out
Selling Hart doesn’t really solve any problems. I’d keep him as third choice and try to bring in proper competition/successor to Lloris (Pope or Maignan.... As a wildcard Dinamo’s keeper also looked very capable and I think he has recently broke into his national team?).

I don’t think we can afford to be spending £35m on Arrons. The time to buy him was 2 years ago. We’ve missed that boat. Hysaj is on a free from Napoli and would be a great option for zero transfer outlay. Bogle is the smart buy for a young, English player just as Matty Cash was a year ago, I expect a forward thinking club like Leicester, Villa or Leeds will buy him. In theory we could get both Hysaj and Bogle, sell Aurier and Doherty and make funds overall. Problem is that Levy will probably not want to make a paper loss on Doherty which means we'll be stuck with him.

I think we need to buy 2 CBs unless Rodin is better than I expect (I’m figuring he must be pretty poor to not get a look in?). If we only buy one CB then I’d keep Sanchez who at least has something to work with.

Your squad list there has some VERY raw options.... Lavenier, Tanganga, Rodon all have had very little PL football. All would probably benefit far more from good loan spells. I’m not sure how you can even list Lavenier as there really is zero evidence to judge him on?

I’d certainly sell Davies, Doherty, Dier and Winks and let Bale return to Madrid unless they want to pay another £100k a week of his wages next year. Especially as all of these players would be likely to bring in at least some funds.

Others I think we have to be more careful with.... I see no point selling Moura, he is more than good enough as a squad option.

With Lamela it depends on the fee, we need bodies and while his injury record is appalling I don’t have much confidence in Levy going out and getting lots of players so we’ll need to keep some squad options around.

Sissoko can go as long as we do bring in at least 2 more midfielders (again, not sure I have confidence in the chairman to do it so he might need to stay considering there would be no transfer fee.

Dele depends on the new manager, if we have a forward thinking, front foot football manager then I think Dele will have a big part to play. I think he is a better player than Lo Celso as well as being far less injury prone.

Vinicius depends on the fee. He has looked alright against 3rd rate opponents, but not trusted against second rate opponents. Marega is on a free from Porto. Him for nothing or Vinicius for £25m+ and Vinicius looks poor value.

We also have to address the elephant in the room of Son. Two years left on his contract now.... He’d be mad to stay. We might have to sell him this summer to the highest bidder unfortunately (will be same situation for Kane in a years time.

Last edited:
So for me see below. This isn’t Football Manager, so not easy to achieve, but this revamp would leave us younger, hungrier and pacier. And, crucially, technically a LOT more comfortable in possession!

- New GK, new GK
- New RB, new RB
- New CB, new CB
- Tanganga, Rodon
- Reguillon, Sessegnon
- Hojbjerg, Skipp
- N,Dombele, New CM
- Lo Celso, Devine
- New RWF, Bergwijn
- Kane, Scarlett
- Son, new LWF

Signings (combination of)
- GK Johnstone / Pope / Henderson
- RB Aarons / Bogle?
- CB Andersen / White
- CM Cantwell (the next Grealish Maddison who will go on to great things) / Knight (Derby)?
- WF Lookman / Raphinha / Neto / Olise
- CF Ings
The challenge of identifying the players and having a budget for them is intensified by the amount of players we have to get off our books, given they are on good wages and I doubt many of them would attract suitors from anything other than clubs that would be seen as a step down.
Lloris - PSG would do us a huge favour and his World Cup winner tag and his perception about fun his own qualities may still make him viable for another CL team
Hart - wages + shown no form when playing
Aurier - think we should keep him to minimise turnover but he may have down enough this season to be attractive
Doherty - hope Wolves may take him back otherwise he’d have to be pretty cheap for a mid to lower prem team
Dier - Had a reasonable reputation but would probably need the drive to take a cut for regular football lower down and I’d be surprised if it’s a lot list of suitors.
Winks HG a plus, can see a ball playing team like Fulham or Brighton interested but not for a huge fee
Davies - if we make him cheap perhaps a lower Prem team may want him for his experience
Sissoko - Can do a job out of possession, can see him in a physical lower prem team if inexpensive
Moura Lamela Bergwijn - all much of a muchness would probably keep one for turnover reduction - I see them maybe getting opportunities in a slower league, Lamela’s injuries count against him but this season seems to have improved.
Vincius - Don’t think he’s good enough for Prem, I’d prefer us to get a competent physical Prem proven striker who can also play RWF to help keep their minutes up.
Bale - new managers call but 200k a week is a lot for a player who won’t track back but can give us the X factor in attack.

All of those outgoing players would need a paycut imo and would not be too of many clubs shopping list. I also would like us to look at the championship for up and coming players though.

Selling Hart doesn’t really solve any problems. I’d keep him as third choice and try to bring in proper competition/successor to Lloris (Pope or Maignan.... As a wildcard Dinamo’s keeper also looked very capable and I think he has recently broke into his national team?).
I don’t think we can afford to be spending £35m on Arrons. The time to buy him was 2 years ago. We’ve missed that boat. Hysaj is on a free from Napoli and would be a great option for zero transfer outlay. Bogle is the smart buy for a young, English player just as Matty Cash was a year ago.
I think we need to buy 2 CBs unless Rodin is better than I expect (I’m figuring he must be pretty poor to not get a look in?). If we only buy one CB then I’d keep Sanchez who at least has something to work with.
Your squad list there has some VERY raw options.... Lavenier, Tanganga, Rodon all have had very little PL football. All would probably benefit far more from good loan spells. I’m not sure how you can even list Lavenier as there really is zero evidence to judge him on?
I’d certainly sell Davies, Doherty, Dier and Winks and let Bale return to Madrid unless they want to pay another £100k a week of his wages next year. Especially as all of these players would be likely to bring in at least some funds.
Others I think we have to be more careful with.... I see no point selling Moura, he is more than good enough as a squad option.
With Lamela it depends on the fee, we need bodies and while his injury record is appalling I don’t have much confidence in Levy going out and getting lots of players so we’ll need to keep some squad options around.
Sissoko can go as long as we do bring in at least 2 more midfielders (again, not sure I have confidence in the chairman to do it so he might need to stay considering there would be no transfer fee.
Dele depends on the new manager, if we have a forward thinking, front foot football manager then I think Dele will have a big part to play. I think he is a better player than Lo Celso and as well as being far less injury prone.
Vinicius depends on the fee. He has looked alright against 3rd rate opponents, but not trusted against second rate opponents. Marega is on a free from Porto. Hi for nothing or Vinicius for £25m+ and Vinicius looks poor value.
We also have to address the elephant in the room of Son. Two years left on his contract now.... He’d be mad to stay. We might have to sell him this summer to the highest bidder unfortunately (will be same situation for Kane in a years time.

It is a raw squad but I'm of the opinion first things first you build a strong XI, sacrifice the cups and focus on the league - that team, if we buy at the same standard as Regulion and Hojberg, should have us back on track in the league under a new manager - then you start upgrading the squad positiins depending on how the young players in reserve develop playing in the domestic cups and EL

I know we don't need to sell all those players I'm just highlighting that if the squad players that have been here too long are the problem we can get by without them.

...and regardless of the players, a manager needs to be making them better and gelling them into a team where they play better than the sum of the parts. Jose does the opposite which, even if you have unlimited cash isn't great.

So whilst all the discussions above about we should keep/sell/sign are important, if you have to spend £100m to get £50m of ability on a pitch, its always going to be tough

It is a raw squad but I'm of the opinion first things first you build a strong XI, sacrifice the cups and focus on the league - that team, if we buy at the same standard as Regulion and Hojberg, should have us back on track in the league under a new manager - then you start upgrading the squad positiins depending on how the young players in reserve develop playing in the domestic cups and EL

I know we don't need to sell all those players I'm just highlighting that if the squad players that have been here too long are the problem we can get by without them.
I know what you mean, I just think that squad is very, very shallow. The good youth crop we have coming through are probably 2 years away from playing a good part.

The first thing we have to do IMO is go and buy 2 centre backs. We needed at least two last summer and still need two now. The best thing to do here IMO would be go out and get a ready made pair. There is one at Borussia Monchengladbach in Ginter and Elvedi. Both have 1 year left on their contracts this summer and they could be gettable as a pair for £50m to £60m. just doing that single piece of business would improve us hugely and at 27 and 24 years old they could play for us as a pair for many years. I'm hoping that no matter what we'll have a transfer budget of that sort of amount. If we don't then we really are in trouble.

After that we'll probably have to wheel and deal. We absolutely need to take a look at the bosman market. Hysaj from Napoli would allow us to sell Aurier or Doherty (preferably the latter) and generate transfer funds. Aurier though only has a year on his deal so we probably have to sell both. Bogle is the well priced young right back who we should look to for cover.

We might be lucky enough to get £10m for Dier, perhaps the same for Davies and as much as £20m for Winks, let's assume that we got a combined £20m for Aurier and Doherty and Bogle costs us £10m and that gives us £50m of funds, which is probably more like £40m after agents fees. That isn't a huge amount to work with really.

IMO the priority after those two CBs and that bit of business at right back is the centre of midfield. Soumare has a year left on his contract at Lille and we might be able to somehow get him for £20m if we also give Lille lots in the way of add ons. Buying him would also allow us to move Sissoko on.

That leaves £20m of funds. I'd use it to try to bring in another player from Lille and get Maignan to challenge Lloris for the first team spot.

That's our funds used up and leaves us something like this:

Lloris, Maignan, Hart
Hysaj, Bogle
Ginter, Sanchez, Tanganga
Elvedi, Toby, Rodon
Regulion, Sessegnon
Hojberg, Skipp
Soumare, Lo Celso
Moura, Lamela, Clarke
Ndombele, Dele
Son, Bergwijn
Kane,

Lacking cover for Kane, still weak on the right and with the elephant in the room of Son going into the last 2 years of his contract.

The best freebie out there to provide cover for Kane is probably Marega from Porto.

Selling Son while his valuation is likely to be at it's highest could also be worthwhile and doing so would perhaps allow us to sign both a right sided and left sided attacker and/or maybe even another midfield option like Sabitzer (in some ways he would be ideal as he can play as a wide midfield player or a number 8 or even a number 10).

The above (assuming we let Son go into last 2 years of his contract) does mean our chairman bringing in 7 players however. Though things are a little easier as two of them are freebies that could be signed on pre contracts now, 1 player would come from a relegated club and the other 4 are coming from only two clubs.

Let's hope for a VERY busy transfer deadline day! :D

Last edited:
I
I know what you mean, I just think that squad is very, very shallow. The good youth crop we have coming through are probably 2 years away from playing a good part.

The first thing we have to do IMO is go and buy 2 centre backs. We needed at least two last summer and still need two now. The best thing to do here IMO would be go out and get a ready made pair. There is one at Borussia Monchengladbach in Ginter and Elvedi. Both have 1 year left on their contracts this summer and they could be gettable as a pair for £50m to £60m. just doing that single piece of business would improve us hugely and at 27 and 24 years old they could play for us as a pair for many years. I'm hoping that no matter what we'll have a transfer budget of that sort of amount. If we don't then we really are in trouble.

After that we'll probably have to wheel and deal. We absolutely need to take a look at the bosman market. Hysaj from Napoli would allow us to sell Aurier or Doherty (preferably the latter) and generate transfer funds. Aurier though only has a year on his deal so we probably have to sell both. Bogle is the well priced young right back who we should look to for cover.

We might be lucky enough to get £10m for Dier, perhaps the same for Davies and as much as £20m for Winks, let's assume that we got a combined £20m for Aurier and Doherty and Bogle costs us £10m and that gives us £50m of funds, which is probably more like £40m after agents fees. That isn't a huge amount to work with really.

IMO the priority after those two CBs and that bit of business at right back is the centre of midfield. Soumare has a year left on his contract at Lille and we might be able to somehow get him for £20m if we also give Lille lots in the way of add ons. Buying him would also allow us to move Sissoko on.

That leaves £20m of funds. I'd use it to try to bring in another player from Lille and get Maignan to challenge Lloris for the first team spot.

That's our funds used up and leaves us something like this:

Lloris, Maignan, Hart
Hysaj, Bogle
Ginter, Sanchez, Tanganga
Elvedi, Toby, Rodon
Regulion, Sessegnon
Hojberg, Skipp
Soumare, Lo Celso
Moura, Lamela, Clarke
Ndombele, Dele
Son, Bergwijn
Kane,

Lacking cover for Kane, still weak on the right and with the elephant in the room of Son going into the last 2 years of his contract.

The best freebie out there to provide cover for Kane is probably Marega from Porto.

Selling Son while his valuation is likely to be at it's highest could also be worthwhile and doing so would perhaps allow us to sign both a right sided and left sided attacker and/or maybe even another midfield option like Sabitzer (in some ways he would be ideal as he can play as a wide midfield player or a number 8 or even a number 10).

The above (assuming we let Son go into last 2 years of his contract) does mean our chairman bringing in 7 players however. Though things are a little easier as two of them are freebies that could be signed on pre contracts now, 1 player would come from a relegated club and the other 4 are coming from only two clubs.

Let's hope for a VERY busy transfer deadline day! :D
I love there fantasy football posts
I always like to think about who we can buy and the club seems to buy players of a polar positive scale

...and regardless of the players, a manager needs to be making them better and gelling them into a team where they play better than the sum of the parts. Jose does the opposite which, even if you have unlimited cash isn't great.

So whilst all the discussions above about we should keep/sell/sign are important, if you have to spend £100m to get £50m of ability on a pitch, its always going to be tough
Some players...

Not looking to excuse Mourinho, he has to improve performances (again) and get some consistency out of the team.

Some players though. Ended up as squad players under Pochettino or somehow first choice because of no competition. Then had to be relied upon more and they did poorly enough to get Pochettino sacked.

Mourinho comes in. Same players, if we're getting our strongest 11 out there there's only a couple of them there, we at least can play well. But even in the group stages of the EL we can't play too many of them. Mourinho has to bail them out with our best players. Like under Pochettino before they're just not able to perform to a high enough level.

Now yesterday. The shambles of a performance it was.

That's two managers now, not being able to gel these players into a functional team. Unless they have fully fit and firing superstars doing the heavy lifting for them they fall flat. They just don't step it up.

If there's a new manager in charge or it's Mourinho, I'd rather the challenge wasn't to gel those players into a team. I'd rather they weren't here.

Posted this in another thread, but it belongs here:

Regardless of José being sacked or staying on for another year (I think the latter), it is clear - also judging from Hugo's post-match comments - that we are facing a serious rebuild, which typically takes at least 12-18 months if not longer. Hugo emphasizes the lack of effort of some players, highlighting that what we need is high-quality players who play for the club with heart and soul. The fact that there were so many players under Poch who combined these two assets is what made us a team/squad to be very proud of. So where to start - again, regardless of where you stand on the manager. I would say that there are only three players who definitely combine world-class quality (or close enough to it) with 100% dedication in our current squad: Kane, Son, and Reguilon. Before January, I would have added Hojbjerg to that list, but I'm not so sure anymore (quality-wise). I would give Lloris another year, maybe two. And I count on the hunger of Skipp and Sessegnon when they return to Spurs Lodge next season. That's seven names, and a fair reflection I think of the size of the rebuild that we are seeking (and dreading, to some extent, because what's going to happen in the meantime). I would keep Lo Celso and Tanganga too. Nine.

And then? I think all the other players can justifiably be criticized for something (some for much more - Winks, Dele, Dier, Sissoko, Sanchez. Lamela too). NDombele should probably stay too, but I am not sure about his dedication nor about his capacity to really change matches from central midfield. Davies I would say could be a useful back-up, but in his LB position we've got two more talented players already. Moura is a useful squad member when he applies himself like he did in the last six weeks or so. And maybe Bergwijn should be given the benefit of the doubt, although his lack of goals and his lack of otherwise match-changing contributions is worrying more than a year after arriving.

Or is all of this knee-jerking post-trauma cynicism? I am deeply worried about the size of the task ahead for Levy (and the manager), and the time it will take for us to be competitive again.

People watched t
Posted this in another thread, but it belongs here:

Regardless of José being sacked or staying on for another year (I think the latter), it is clear - also judging from Hugo's post-match comments - that we are facing a serious rebuild, which typically takes at least 12-18 months if not longer. Hugo emphasizes the lack of effort of some players, highlighting that what we need is high-quality players who play for the club with heart and soul. The fact that there were so many players under Poch who combined these two assets is what made us a team/squad to be very proud of. So where to start - again, regardless of where you stand on the manager. I would say that there are only three players who definitely combine world-class quality (or close enough to it) with 400% dedication in our current squad: Kane, Son, and Reguilon. Before January, I would have added Hojbjerg to that list, but I'm not so sure anymore (quality-wise). I would give Lloris another year, maybe two. And I count on the hunger of Skipp and Sessegnon when they return to Spurs Lodge next season. That's seven names, and a fair reflection I think of the size of the rebuild that we are seeking (and dreading, to some extent, because what's going to happen in the meantime). I would keep Lo Celso and Tanganga too. Nine.

And then? I think all the other players can justifiably be criticized for something (some for much more - Winks, Dele, Dier, Sissoko, Sanchez. Lamela too). NDombele should probably stay too, but I am not sure about his dedication nor about his capacity to really change matches from central midfield. Davies I would say could be a useful back-up, but in his LB position we've got two more talented players already. Moura is a useful squad member when he applies himself like he did in the last six weeks or so. And maybe Bergwijn should be given the benefit of the doubt, although his lack of goals and his lack of otherwise match-changing contributions is worrying more than a year after arriving.

Or is all of this knee-jerking post-trauma cynicism? I am deeply worried about the size of the task ahead for Levy (and the manager), and the time it will take for us to be competitive again.

You could probably list a few that should go, but I think we should realize it not all the players, it's getting rid of the right (wrong players)

Recent example was probably when Poch came in and made the decision re Adebayor, Lennon, Capoue, etc. even if it was in favour of players more junior but could be trusted to put in a shift.

Dele, Winks, Dier, Sissoko, Davies, Toby, Rose (yes still around) -> too much tenure, too comfortable, proven to not turn up when it matters. Crazy part is you could replace the whole lot with two purchases +Skipp & Sess.

Returning to this after the Lloris comments on the losers in the squad...

..which of these utter wastes do we flog first?

Honestly, between Dier, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Hart, Dele, Aurier, Doherty...who goes first isn't a priority to me, but only that they all go.

When Trippier left, he gave interview to the Mail saying that there were things wrong behind the scenes and that it wasn't a happy place in the last year.

Lloris has now reinforced that - two years on, that problem is still in evidence, only now we have ludicrous levels of entitlement on the part of the useless reserves to think they deserve to be playing.

Something is utterly wrong behind the scenes. And it starts with these players. Something went wrong after the unity of 2016-2017, and it's down to these players, imo.

Mourinho was the attempt to make this broken team work. Now that has failed. And while I hope we left him behind in motherf*cking Zagreb to hitchhike home...

...these damaging, toxic, useless wastes of space with no ability whatsoever need to go to. My only fear is that Levy haggles over the fees and some of these human timebombs remain next season - if we have to lose Kane, if we have to lose Son, fine, but get these men out. Take whatever we can get from whichever clubs are foolish enough to offer any money, and get. Them. Out.

Agree with that

In that Trippier interview did he mention any names or was he specific about what was wrong behind the scenes?

I thought Jose would have sorted it out by now but clearly hasn’t

Added a poll guys & gals - you're the DoF and tasked with clearing the squad of the problem players/those not good enough ahead of a new appointment coming in the summer.

I've left out Son & Kane because i think that's a seperate discussion.

I know the temptation will be to sell them all and you can do so if you wish but I'd suggest being a bit more realistic...

The only thing close to an agreed train of thought on the subject seems to be that the players left over from the CL final squad that let down the last manager are where the problem lays - hence the options.

Added a poll guys & gals - you're the DoF and tasked with clearing the squad of the problem players/those not good enough ahead of a new appointment coming in the summer.

I've left out Son & Kane because i think that's a seperate discussion.

I know the temptation will be to sell them all and you can do so if you wish but I'd suggest being a bit more realistic...

I think our problems are mental, and primarily in regular starters not on your list.

There would be 5/6 other names I think we’d be better moving on first.

Like you say, some of those who started the CL final and are still here.

Re the poll, I've picked winks, Dier and Sissoko (I'd give him away, never mind sell him), but it depends what we want.
Even with those three in it that's a squad probably better than we would have had pre peak poch.
Add in Jose, one of the best managers ever and this club is under performing the last season and a half. Other than win a trophy we have ticked every box.

A better poll for me would be what do we actually think success is for our club over the next three years.
Because tbh I don't think the club knows and that's a big issue.

Aurier - think he’s been decent this season, I’d keep but potentially one of the problem players and has voiced a desire to go back to France previously so I’d understand if sold
Davies - Massive come down from Reguilon but a decent pro, and could cover CB if any issues during a match etc. Probably keep but with Sess coming back would understand if sold
Sanchez - Keep. Call me crazy but he’s looking better to me and if we acquired a top class commanding CB I think he would compliment well.
Dier - Sell. Not even homegrown, and he just hasn’t improved at all. He gives his all but he’s been here long enough and not kicked on
Winks - Sell. Considering he’s a squad player I think we have enough youth players who could fill that role who are also homegrown Skipp etc
Sissoko - Sell. Has given his all bless him, but I think it’s time he moved on now
Lamela - I’d actually keep him. One of the few that fights, got balls and actually has skill. Sure he’s not perfect but as a squad member he is apparently on one of the cheapest wages and I’d keep him for another couple of years.
Moura - Keep. I always liked his directness, he’s something different and on his day he’s a very good finisher with both feet. Hard worker too and a nice guy which is good for dressing room morale
Dele - Sell. Never thought I’d find myself saying that. He clearly has been battling demons off the pitch and in hindsight I don’t think he’s ever been the same player since he created his own fashion label. I’m not even sure we’d get that good a fee for him now, but perhaps a clean break is best for Dele and for Spurs now

Id also sell Lloris, I’m not convinced he is on top of his game now and if a new era is approaching us probably a good time to get rid....

So for me see below. This isn’t Football Manager, so not easy to achieve, but this revamp would leave us younger, hungrier and pacier. And, crucially, technically a LOT more comfortable in possession!

- New GK, new GK
- New RB, new RB
- New CB, new CB
- Tanganga, Rodon
- Reguillon, Sessegnon
- Hojbjerg, Skipp
- N,Dombele, New CM
- Lo Celso, Devine
- New RWF, Bergwijn
- Kane, Scarlett
- Son, new LWF

Signings (combination of)
- GK Johnstone / Pope / Henderson
- RB Aarons / Bogle?
- CB Andersen / White
- CM Cantwell (the next Grealish Maddison who will go on to great things) / Knight (Derby)?
- WF Lookman / Raphinha / Neto / Olise
- CF Ings

Cantwell is very good and I agree with you regarding his potential. Knight looks like a young Roy Keane to me, much needed.

Two quite easy signings in a way which is why I doubt we will do it.

Back