• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I think he is relying on tactics that require an incredibly sound and efficient defence. Soak up the pressure and catch teams on the counter.

Problem is, we have a brick defence and with the exception of Kane (and Bale when he can be arsed) we have nobody who can play quick and decisive balls forward. That's why as soon as the 'Kane to Son' combo was sussed it went to brick. Opposition just mark Kane completely when he dropped deep and there was no alternative gameplan.

Look at the team versus DZ. Where was the quick and creative passing going to come from?
  • Winks - hahaha
  • Sissoko - no chance
  • Lamela - takes far too many touches
  • Moura - runs up dead-ends
  • Dele - a shell of the player he was
This causes Kane to drop deep to try and be that provider. It's a vicious cycle.

We sucked big time yesterday. I am taking an emotional recess from Spurs till July. I can't emotionally support the players. Jose, I have a lot of time for but the players - I remember so many moments when they were expected to win and the opposite was true. No manager can change the meteorology of players. A leopard can't change its spots. We need to bring in players with a better meteorology or better squad quality. We also need to tell ourselves bitter truths about our squad - every single one of them.

A manager's job is to install a way of playing which leads to the team performance being greater than the sum of the parts. Jose doesn't have us playing any recognisable way when we have the ball, and because we surrendour it and sit back, we invite more and more pressure on to our CBs, which is the weakest part of our team.

I don't buy the comments about mentality or somehow that Jose is having the same problems that Poch had. Jose has a lot of new players in teh team which Poch didnt have. He has us playing cowardly football, and fearful of the opposition.

He needs to go

Poisoned my club in 18 months. Take this prick as far from the club as you can.

We weren’t in a good place when he arrived. He hasn’t done much to turn it around.

However, no matter who eventually comes in next, most of these players just aren’t good enough. They got Poch the sack, they have (or soon will) do the same for Mourinho.

The ‘spine’ of the team last night:

Lloris - didn’t do much wrong, but with form as a rabbit-in-the-headlights in big games. Captain, but has never been a leader.

Dier and Sanchez - two accidents waiting to happen. The bastard sons of Ramon Vega and Stuart Nethercott.

Winks and Sissoko - Christ on a bike.

Harry Kane - 60 or 70% fit (at a push) but apparently undroppable. Has a growing tendency to go missing in the highest stakes games.

There’s your major problems right there - and they weren’t made much better by bringing on our ‘stronger’ players.

I honestly believe you could put a committee of Poch, Mourinho, Klopp and Ferguson in charge of these tacos and we’d still find new ways to fudge up.

Again all i can do is point to someone like Tuchel who has come in, and the same players misfiring under Lampard are suddenly an entirely different team.

Now it's too late to get anyone half decent, Rodgers, Naglesmann, but he's got to go. A league cup final after an easy cup run, out of 2 cup competitions and no wins against a top 8 team since Dec?

Some people need to wake up.

Edit: Man U haven't exactly bought in a tonne of players yet they sit higher than us under fudging Ole.

We weren’t in a good place when he arrived. He hasn’t done much to turn it around.

Forget not turning it around, he's taken us backwards.

Leicester are comfortably better than us now, West Ham are level with us, Villa play better football than us, Everton are about on a par with us. Arsenal are now back on our level

We were well ahead of those a year or two ago - we're slipping backwards. Whoever the new guy is, he'll be starting at a lower level than Mourinho did and we'll need to accept a few years of playing catch-up to Chelsea etc

A manager's job is to install a way of playing which leads to the team performance being greater than the sum of the parts. Jose doesn't have us playing any recognisable way when we have the ball, and because we surrendour it and sit back, we invite more and more pressure on to our CBs, which is the weakest part of our team.

I don't buy the comments about meteorology or somehow that Jose is having the same problems that Poch had. Jose has a lot of new players in teh team which Poch didnt have. He has us playing cowardly football, and fearful of the opposition.

He needs to go
A way of playing with the ball is a lot easier with players that are actually good on the ball.

Playing through pressure you'll naturally depend on your centre backs and central midfielders quite a lot. Central midfielders can drop deep to help there in buildup or be able to receive the ball under pressure and do something useful with it. You'll also rely quite a bit on your goalkeeper to get involved.

When teams stand off more you'll depend less on your goalkeeper. But to move the ball quickly and with purpose through the centre of the pitch you will depend on your centre backs and central midfielders.

In these positions yesterday we had Lloris, Sanchez, Dier, Winks and Sissoko. Of the "top" teams I don't know of a team with players in those positions worse on the ball than Lloris, Sanchez or Sissoko. You do see players with the level of quality Dier and Winks brings imo, but then always partnered with better quality players.

Quite literally, the closest we were to a player in those positions being able to pass with purpose, speed and consistency was Winks.

It's a sorry state of affairs compared to where we were. Compared to our best now even it's a sorry state of affairs. And our best now still includes players of inferior quality compared to teams that are where we want to be.

That doesn't excuse the performance or Mourinho. Not good enough, but these problems go way back.

Absolutely scathing read here: https://www.football365.com/news/spurs-europa-league-exit-jose-mourinho

Mourinho will of course claim that he sent his players out to win the game, not just to qualify. That he didn’t send them out to timidly fall between two stools and freeze, looking every inch like they weren’t just failing to follow a plan but unaware one even existed. Mourinho will point fingers in every direction apart from the obvious one having been comprehensively outcoached by a team whose coach is in prison. This kind of apathetic, passive non-performance has happened now so often in so many games that Mourinho’s insistence it’s not the plan can just be ignored. It’s either not true or shows Mourinho is utterly unable to impart his instructions to these players. If the players are consistently failing to follow the instructions you give, that also represents a failure of management

Absolutely scathing read here: https://www.football365.com/news/spurs-europa-league-exit-jose-mourinho

Mourinho will of course claim that he sent his players out to win the game, not just to qualify. That he didn’t send them out to timidly fall between two stools and freeze, looking every inch like they weren’t just failing to follow a plan but unaware one even existed. Mourinho will point fingers in every direction apart from the obvious one having been comprehensively outcoached by a team whose coach is in prison. This kind of apathetic, passive non-performance has happened now so often in so many games that Mourinho’s insistence it’s not the plan can just be ignored. It’s either not true or shows Mourinho is utterly unable to impart his instructions to these players. If the players are consistently failing to follow the instructions you give, that also represents a failure of management

I saw that, and its a good read. The best part is the bit about non-performances - playing badly is one thing but we just haven't shown up in probably half our games this season. Its unacceptable

Forget not turning it around, he's taken us backwards.

Leicester are comfortably better than us now, West Ham are level with us, Villa play better football than us, Everton are about on a par with us. Arsenal are now back on our level

We were well ahead of those a year or two ago - we're slipping backwards. Whoever the new guy is, he'll be starting at a lower level than Mourinho did and we'll need to accept a few years of playing catch-up to Chelsea etc

He hasn’t taken us backwards from where we were at the end of Poch’s time (14th and playing pretty similarly to now) but that’s not really worth discussing imo. We are a fudge up, and these players have shown they don’t have it in meaningful game after meaningful game after meaningful game.

Since it's almost over, I'm going to add my two pence (which I've probably done a number of times but anyway...).

First things first, maybe because I'm a foreigner, but Mourinho's personality (or, more likely, his persona) never came into consideration for me. On the other hand, I do believe managers deserve a bit more sympathy. When you think about it, it's not so easy to give up on a winning formula. His low block system served him well at the start of the season. We went top of the league that way. When things go awry, it's only natural to think that it's an accident or the players' fault. It worked before so it's just a blip. I think, if you look at yourself, you'll realise it's a problem we all have: we tend to stick to what works for us.

It's certainly a problem most managers have anyway. That's because changing isn't a guarantee of success. It's an even more difficult decision to take when your job is on the line. It didn't work but Mourinho had the balls to try and do that, and I give him credit for it.

However, I believe football has passed him by now. From what I've read, he relies on giving a lot of freedom to more talented players and adapting to the opposition. Unfortunately, football is all about patterns and combinations now. It's all about imposing your system to the opposition and a set system is something he doesn't really have. Worse still, his way of doing things makes it almost mandatory to play your best players as much as possible, in order for them to develop a good understanding. It worked well for a couple of months but the number of games caught up with us, despite the fact that we were relatively lucky with injuries. It also makes it very difficult to integrate new players in the team, they have to be extra talented, like Bale, to make it work.

Having said all that, I can't help but feel that some of us are taking a twisted pleasure in seeing a manager they don't like failing. It's certainly understandable, but I don't think it's a good thing at all. In world football, Mourinho's reputation remains much, much bigger than Spurs'. I'm afraid being the only club where he didn't win anything will shed a very poor light on us. I know that if I were a top manager, I'd think twice before joining a club where he failed so miserably. I'd add that, after van Gaal's and Mourinho's tenures at ManU, they were back to being linked Moyes-like managers. Pochettino was the highest-profile manager they've been linked with recently and while he's considered an up and coming manager, he's won peanuts.

THe only silver lining to this cloud is that the power and money are so concentrated at the top of the game that it's no longer a managers' game. Flick and Zidane had next to zero experience as managers when they won Europe's first prize. You have to be a donkey like Kovac to miss the boat once you've inherited one of the best squads in the world. Of course, managers still make a difference if you're an also-ran but there was no substitute for a massive investment considering where we set our sights.

I'd be very surprised if we ever won anything with that squad of players, no matter how talented some of them are. It's a shame but the same things have happened repeatedly over the past few years. Soon enough, in a couple of years, we'll begin a new cycle with a different bunch of players. Let's just hope this one will be more successful.

And the players have earned credit for doing what exactly in Spurs colours? What have they achieved? Top 4 finish? CL final? Jose has achieved more than that as a manager.

What he has achieved with different teams is precisely why I have time for him. In my honest opinion, if these players can't succeed with Jose, forget it. We can continue insulting, blaming the man etc and avoid the real issues. Yes, a number of players have been individually successful for country but not for this club.

None of that achieved at Spurs or a club of our stature with our circumstances. His precious experience doesn't particularly set him up to succeed at Spurs he's never had to manage under these restrictions, he always been at the dominant side in the league or a side with immense amounts of money to help fix any issues they have. That isn't Spurs so clinging on to his past success (and let's be real here, those successes are becoming ever more distant) as some sort of beacon of hope is foolish.

The man is failing here. He is the manager it is his sole purpose to produce performances from the players. If he can not do that and he isn't then he is failing.

The cult of Mourinho need to pull the blinds from their eyes and look at the cold hard truth. Yes the players are culpable but ultimately the performances on the pitch reside in the responsibly of the manager and that is Mourinho and he is failing.

None of that achieved at Spurs or a club of our stature with our circumstances. His precious experience doesn't particularly set him up to succeed at Spurs he's never had to manage under these restrictions, he always been at the dominant side in the league or a side with immense amounts of money to help fix any issues they have. That isn't Spurs so clinging on to his past success (and let's be real here, those successes are becoming ever more distant) as some sort of beacon of hope is foolish.

The man is failing here. He is the manager it is his sole purpose to produce performances from the players. If he can not do that and he isn't then he is failing.

The cult of Mourinho need to pull the blinds from their eyes and look at the cold hard truth. Yes the players are culpable but ultimately the performances on the pitch reside in the responsibly of the manager and that is Mourinho and he is failing.

He spent £400m at Utd and failed there too remember. And his time at Spurs is showing up the same problems - inept cowardly defensive performances, desperately bad to watch, general stink around the club etc

Or do all of the people who make excuses for Mourinho say that despite that £400m spent at Utd, they also had fundamental problems in their squad? And its just a coincidence that the same problems which were there at Utd are also showing up at Spurs?

I think he achieved more at United with a squad greatly (on paper) inferior to this one, he won things, but more importantly he kept them in the CL.

He was deemed a failure in the context of United, any other PL club would have considered his two full seasons there favourably.

I think he achieved more at United with a squad greatly (on paper) inferior to this one, he won things, but more importantly he kept them in the CL.

Exactly, people defend his time at United because his "failure" was 2nd place and two trophies (and they have spent way more since he left on positions he called out), if he had that kind of failure here, it wouldn't be a problem.

He wasnt keeping them in during his final season. Their performances and results had already started to degrade. At Spurs we just never given for to the winning stage of a Mourinho rein, but as I said he's never coached a side like us before. His successes have come at already successful clubs where he has been able to step it up a level.

His particular set of skills and experiences is proving to be unsuited to the job of Tottenham coach.

He wasnt keeping them in during his final season. Their performances and results had already started to degrade. At Spurs we just never given for to the winning stage of a Mourinho rein, but as I said he's never coached a side like us before. His successes have come at already successful clubs where he has been able to step it up a level.

His particular set of skills and experiences is proving to be unsuited to the job of Tottenham coach.

So what does that say about us?

What set of skills and experience do we need to hire to get us over the line?

So what does that say about us?

What set of skills and experience do we need to hire to get us over the line?

We need a manager who doesnt need to spend £400m over a couple years, and one who will make individual players better not worse. We also need a manager who installs some tactics such that the team is greater than the some of the parts.

None of those are Jose

Back