• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Man of the match - Crystal Palace (H)

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It would be obvious to say Kane (2 goals and 2 assists) but I think Bale just lifts the team.

Special mention to Lucas for his part ..

Some excellent performances in this match.

Voted for Kane though, he was unreal. Obviously his first goal is a contender for goal of the season. But thought his all-round game was sensational today, particularly that passing game. long, short, mid range - doesn't matter to him, he just found white shirts all match long. Metronomic almost, as well as creative.

Bale had a fine game, he's getting better and better, a real threat now... in short getting closer to the Bale we all remember! The goal he scored was a product of his ability & desire in multiple different positions on the pitch. In a totally different way Moura was so good also - great work rate, great effort, excellent dribbling, proper unsung performance from him.

I'd like to vote for all four of them, but also for the rest of the team.

Given all the stick Sanchez, Doherty and Winks have been getting (and still gets) I thought they all did well last night. Nothing spectacular, but Winks was quite good, covered large areas, as usual, and kept the passing tidy and neat. Likewise, Doherty far less spectacular than his left side companion, but also much lower risk. Probably just as planned in the match plan.

Also, the replacements were first and foremost the right replacements at the right time (or just thereabout). Lamela is getting to his very best, I'm quite excited about him for perhaps the first time since his first season. I've always liked him, but kind of gotten used to expecting to be disappointed as he gets injured everytime he is about to go on a run. Fingers crossed, rabonas galore and maximum brickhousery for the run-in of this season!

A few would perhaps want to see the "carpet monster" replacing Winks in the second half, but I thought it was a good decision to let him sit this one out, and bring Sissoko on. Both Sissoko and Winks should feel good about what they contributed with, and build confidence from it.
Ndombele has confidence an masse at the moment, and I'd rather have him tear Arse*al a new Arsehole in the next round than getting chopped down by Riedewald or some other Palace thug.

I'd like to vote for all four of them, but also for the rest of the team.

Given all the stick Sanchez, Doherty and Winks have been getting (and still gets) I thought they all did well last night. Nothing spectacular, but Winks was quite good, covered large areas, as usual, and kept the passing tidy and neat. Likewise, Doherty far less spectacular than his left side companion, but also much lower risk. Probably just as planned in the match plan.

Also, the replacements were first and foremost the right replacements at the right time (or just thereabout). Lamela is getting to his very best, I'm quite excited about him for perhaps the first time since his first season. I've always liked him, but kind of gotten used to expecting to be disappointed as he gets injured everytime he is about to go on a run. Fingers crossed, rabonas galore and maximum brickhousery for the run-in of this season!

A few would perhaps want to see the "carpet monster" replacing Winks in the second half, but I thought it was a good decision to let him sit this one out, and bring Sissoko on. Both Sissoko and Winks should feel good about what they contributed with, and build confidence from it.
Ndombele has confidence an masse at the moment, and I'd rather have him tear Arse*al a new ******** in the next round than getting chopped down by Riedewald or some other Palace thug.

hahaha, carpet monster .. well done. Agree re Lamela, it's about as good as I've seen him play in a Spurs shirt.

I think the last two games have been calculated risks, I expect Thursday to be the same. I'd leave PEH, Kane, Son, Bale, Ndombele, Reguilon, Aurier, Toby, Lucas out of starting lineup.

Davies, Doherty, Dier, Winks, Sissko, Tanganga, Dele, Lamela, Bergwijn, Vinicius can all start and give the 1st team some time down to be prepped for Sunday (Scum have to travel as well)

I've voted for Lucas. Yeah, Kane and Bale were the flashy standouts, with the goals and assists to match, but I think Moura's non-stop harrying gave them the freedom to play their game. He also broke Palace's press and linked our defence and attack -- without losing the ball as much as I've come to expect from him.

And yes, I know Kane was immense and scored a worldie. But that's just what he does :)

I've voted for Lucas. Yeah, Kane and Bale were the flashy standouts, with the goals and assists to match, but I think Moura's non-stop harrying gave them the freedom to play their game. He also broke Palace's press and linked our defence and attack -- without losing the ball as much as I've come to expect from him.

And yes, I know Kane was immense and scored a worldie. But that's just what he does :)

Also voted Lucas, for exact same reasons.

it's funny how people view things - he lost the ball 7 times yesterday, for reference the next closest player on our team lost the ball twice.

it's funny how people view things - he lost the ball 7 times yesterday, for reference the next closest player on our team lost the ball twice.
Who’s was that?
in the stats I saw Reggie lost it a lot but that would also include missed passes

Like I said, not as much as I expect from Moura!

Seriously though, maybe I just missed it, or he wasn't losing the ball in particularly dangerous areas (their equaliser aside). I missed a chunk of the first half as I was "watching" the game on a tablet while cooking dinner.

Well of course he is going to lose the ball more than most. He is a direct dribbler, often doing it in tight areas - even Son and Bale are much less direct, they just cut inside and pass/cross most of the time whereas Moura heads directly towards goal. It’s a risk/reward thing and it’s a result of his direct dribbles that have created several chances and goals in games. Without his dribbling attempts it would all be a bit more predictable....

The tackle for the ball that led to the first goal was a big vote winner on its own. Sometimes a situation calls for the 'chief headless chicken' and yesterday looks to have been one. He never stopped.
And yet, we've still not found the situation that calls for Sissoko.

(I jest, of course)

Well of course he is going to lose the ball more than most. He is a direct dribbler, often doing it in tight areas - even Son and Bale are much less direct, they just cut inside and pass/cross most of the time whereas Moura heads directly towards goal. It’s a risk/reward thing and it’s a result of his direct dribbles that have created several chances and goals in games. Without his dribbling attempts it would all be a bit more predictable....

yeah i was just responding to a post that said he didn't think Moura lost the ball as much as usual - found it funny because it was one of the games where he had lost the ball the most.

If you want to have a discussion about how effective his dribbling is in a wider sense i'd like to see some examples of us getting goal scoring opportunities from them* because i think it's more a case that players running with the ball have a bit of a distracting wow factor on people watching - his pressing and closing down in games see the benefit of, just the dribbling 99 times out of 100 leads nowhere - directly or otherwise.

* v PL level opponents

Last edited:
The tackle for the ball that led to the first goal was a big vote winner on its own. Sometimes a situation calls for the 'chief headless chicken' and yesterday looks to have been one. He never stopped.
upload_2021-3-8_17-10-18.jpeg
Chief headless chicken Moura

I voted for Bale, the form finding continues.

Kane was good, but even with 2 goals, 2 assists, one of them from about 50 yards out, it was still just a 6/10 performance from him, it's the least I expect.

Back