• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Ill be elated with ANY cup win and enjoy it knowing that supporting Spurs doesnt guarantee or give any GHod given right to win trophies ... Ill enjoy it for more than a few minutes thanks

I freely admit that whilst I'd enjoy a LCF win, without CL football it will be pretty much meh. I agree, beggars can't be choosers, but we need to be in order to maintain what we built between 2015-20 IMO.

I freely admit that whilst I'd enjoy a LCF win, without CL football it will be pretty much meh. I agree, beggars can't be choosers, but we need to be in order to maintain what we built between 2015-20 IMO.

It's very easy to expect a continuous trajectory of improvement and as fans we want to see nothing but spurs getting better and better .... but this is not reality. Even maintaining pochettinos work is hard enough for anyone from top down at the club.

It's very easy to expect a continuous trajectory of improvement and as fans we want to see nothing but spurs getting better and better .... but this is not reality. Even maintaining pochettinos work is hard enough for anyone from top down at the club.

I think that is true right now, in March 2021. I would strenuously argue that in the summer of 2018 more even the summer of 2019 it was absolutely not just reality but a formal duty of care that did not require an enormous amount of imagination. Besides, I think you'll find that Levy would disagree anyway' he didn't spend over a billion quid on a stadium not to continue a trajectory of improvement. In fact, truth be told, who is even talking about a 'trajectory of improvement" more than maintaining par and keeping up with the regular CL football we were qualifying for?

But yes. Given what has transpired, it isn't current reality. You'll forgive me for not getting over-excited if we win the League Cup but don't qualify for the CL. I want to be a chooser and I want to demand a little more than being satisfied with a trophy GGG and Ramos won. Or are our sights so low that we will accept that?

I think that is true right now, in March 2021. I would strenuously argue that in the summer of 2018 more even the summer of 2019 it was absolutely not just reality but a formal duty of care that did not require an enormous amount of imagination. Besides, I think you'll find that Levy would disagree anyway' he didn't spend over a billion quid on a stadium not to continue a trajectory of improvement. In fact, truth be told, who is even talking about a 'trajectory of improvement" more than maintaining par and keeping up with the regular CL football we were qualifying for?

But yes. Given what has transpired, it isn't current reality. You'll forgive me for not getting over-excited if we win the League Cup but don't qualify for the CL. I want to be a chooser and I want to demand a little more than being satisfied with a trophy 3G and Ramos won. Or are our sights so low that we will accept that?
Spoken as a true Poch disciple ... ;)

It’s a really interesting debate @thfcsteff - I’d put a slightly different spin on it. I think it’s not so much that people would be satisfied with a League cup, they’re just sick and tired of the narrative about us not winning anything for a billion years and want that monkey off our back.

I actually agree with you that the joy of winning the League Cup would wear off very quickly - would there be any joy at all?! - should we not qualify for the CL, but I think it’s important to respect that it meets a need for some people too.

Last edited:
IMO the poor performances were those when we sat back after going in front against weaker opposition. Palace, Fulham and Wolves were all very beatable, yet in each of those games we dropped off and sat back defending for our lives as though we were 1-0 up with 10 mins to go against an elite team. Had we even just won two of those games the league table would look very different now. The tactics back then were far too negative. The good news is that I think Jose has learnt from that and is now trying to get us up the pitch and keeping more men forward. Hopefully it will continue.
Even with sitting back we had chances that our forwards tinkled away. We were poor offensively in those games as well. It is good we have a third threat.

It’s a really interesting debate @thfcsteff - I’d put a slightly different spin on it. I think it’s not so much that people would be satisfied with a League cup, they’re just sick and tired of the narrative about us not winning anything for a billion years and want that monkey off our back.

I actually agree with you that the joy of winning the League Cup would wear off very quickly - would there be any joy at all?! - should we not qualify for the CL, but I think it’s important to respect that it meets a need for some people too.

This, a thousand times over .. it's also a sign of progress (not in isolation, but combined with the consistency of PL results, European participation, etc.)

As for the second part, I'd enjoy it for a while, especially against City

And just to stir the pot :eek: win the league cup gets you into Europe's newest competition (Europa Conference League?)

Spoken a true Poch disciple ... ;)

Winning the league cup won't change anything in how people outside view us - most the chat i see is : Spurs haven't won a major trophy since 91, no one even acknowledges our LC wins under Ramos or Graham.

Winning the Europa would probably be different, 4 European trophies in total pullig us back level with Chelsea and 4 times as many as Arsenal. But ultimately it's pretty telling the major reason we seemingly want to win these trophies is so we can give it back to people who have been giving us stick, rather than for the actual glory of winning them...

As for the new Uefa trophy, that's going to be even less prestigious than the Europa, a total waste of everyone's time.

Last edited:
IMO in order of priority

1. league title - the toughest to win
2. Champions league - the hardest to win as you don’t get second chances in reality and in theory the biggest teams prioritise it
3. Europa - it’s rewards are bigger than any other cup we play domestically
4/5. Any domestic cup. In reality it’s silverware but also they don’t carry much sway globally. However we can’t be picky having won nothing in such a loooong time

I do think Poch missed a trick with some of the domestic cups at times but we also had some bad luck, some bad performances with better players and key games at tricky times.

To be winners you need to win something. Arsenal fans crow about Pepe being better than Kane because he has won an FA cup. It’s bonkers to compare the two players but it’s a medal he has around his neck that Kane doesn’t

IMO in order of priority

1. league title - the toughest to win
2. Champions league - the hardest to win as you don’t get second chances in reality and in theory the biggest teams prioritise it
3. Europa - it’s rewards are bigger than any other cup we play domestically
4/5. Any domestic cup. In reality it’s silverware but also they don’t carry much sway globally. However we can’t be picky having won nothing in such a loooong time

I do think Poch missed a trick with some of the domestic cups at times but we also had some bad luck, some bad performances with better players and key games at tricky times.

To be winners you need to win something. Arsenal fans crow about Pepe being better than Kane because he has won an FA cup. It’s bonkers to compare the two players but it’s a medal he has around his neck that Kane doesn’t

I agree with your priorities, although I'd flip the first two, winning the European Cup is the pinnacle of the sport, the actual point of playing football.

This, a thousand times over .. it's also a sign of progress (not in isolation, but combined with the consistency of PL results, European participation, etc.)

As for the second part, I'd enjoy it for a while, especially against City

And just to stir the pot :eek: win the league cup gets you into Europe's newest competition (Europa Conference League?)
Winning the League Cup isn't a sign of progress at all, as evidenced by Juande Ramos as well as Swansea and Birmingham City who have won it since us.
UEFA demoting our league Cup winners to a third tier European competition makes it even less prestigious than it was previously.

Winning the League Cup means a great day for the fans and a trophy on the honours board, IMO it doesn't represent any sign of progress at all.

I would put it like this

Priorities are : League> Europe> Domestic Cups

The league is your bread butter and shows the progress you are making relative to those around you - your aim at the beginning of every season is to improve on where you finished last season. If you don't and if you're going backwards then questions get asked.

Europe is the glamour of competing with the best teams in the game.

Domestic cups are opportunistic - there to be won if you've navigated the early rounds and something to put on the shelf.

Winning the League Cup isn't a sign of progress at all, as evidenced by Juande Ramos as well as Swansea and Birmingham City who have won it since us.
UEFA demoting our league Cup winners to a third tier European competition makes it even less prestigious than it was previously.

Winning the League Cup means a great day for the fans and a trophy on the honours board, IMO it doesn't represent any sign of progress at all.
And what about the players? They want to see trophies and medals to look back on. Reminiscing about the days of coming top 4 in the league and losing semis and finals even isn’t what they want.

As for the League cup, Emirates Marketing Project have won it five of the last seven years and inbetween that was a Man U and Chelsea, it is still mainly the big teams that won it. So would be good to see our name back on there, even if it’s not the main trophy we want we aren’t in a position to look down on it and beating Emirates Marketing Project in any final is an achievement and gets that monkey off our back....

And what about the players? They want to see trophies and medals to look back on. Reminiscing about the days of coming top 4 in the league and losing semis and finals even isn’t what they want.

As for the League cup, Emirates Marketing Project have won it five of the last seven years and inbetween that was a Man U and Chelsea, it is still mainly the big teams that won it. So would be good to see our name back on there, even if it’s not the main trophy we want we aren’t in a position to look down on it and beating Emirates Marketing Project in any final is an achievement and gets that monkey off our back....

Kane & Son have stayed at Tottenham longer than any of our stars previous - why do you think that is? Why is that 1 year out of the top 4 and the prospect of a 2nd to follow has their future cast in doubt?

Last edited:
Kane & Son have stayed at Tottenham longer than any of our stars previous - why do you think that is?
Kane is a Spurs man, Modric and Berbatov never were. Son isn’t at that level, he might be getting there but the big boys havent seemingly been sniffing around him (purely judging by lack of transfer speculation compared to our other stars) Im sure Kane thought we would have won something by now, and the fact we haven’t he’s well within his rights to question whether we ever will during his playing years and move on if he wants to....

Kane & Son have stayed at Tottenham longer than any of our stars previous - why do you think that is? Why is that 1 year out of the top 4 and the prospect of a 2nd to follow has their future cast in doubt?
Every year their leaving us at some point or another
The reality is no one can justify the fees we would want for them or have other priorities

Back