• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

Yes, but Stones could be put in the Vertonghen bucket in terms of style of CB. He's mobile and can use the ball (not as well as Super Jan Vertonghen though....)
No he wasn’t, he was schadenfreuder on legs, used give us all a laugh!

I must add we are not laughing now!

Last edited:
Not me sir.... I said he had all the attributes and just need to learn where and where not to take risks in possession.

Sanchez is not as good on the ball but I think he can learn still, think he can do an ok job!
Definitely worth trying to improve and not writing off!

Sanchez is not as good on the ball but I think he can learn still, think he can do an ok job!

The fact he is only 24 means he has not yet reached his peak yet, he has the talent just needs to cut out the mistakes.

The fact he is only 24 means he has not yet reached his peak yet, he has the talent just needs to cut out the mistakes.

I would agree but he is nervous on the ball and as a footballer limited with the ability to pass the ball consistently is not filling me with the same optimism.

At the very best he plays well until the end of the season, his price stabilises somewhat and some foreign team takes him on.

There are better 24 year old defenders out there. He may come good in his 30's, but I'm not prepared to see him develop for 6 more years

I would agree but he is nervous on the ball and as a footballer limited with the ability to pass the ball consistently is not filling me with the same optimism.

At the very best he plays well until the end of the season, his price stabilises somewhat and some foreign team takes him on.

There are better 24 year old defenders out there. He may come good in his 30's, but I'm not prepared to see him develop for 6 more years
Playing for Mourinho is probably one of the best possibilities for a centre back with limited ability on the ball at a top club. I think within a Mourinho system we can make that work.

His mistakes defensively will not be tolerated though. So he needs to up his game quite a bit in that regard if he wants to stay and play. Not too late as long as he's here and playing, but the clock keeps ticking.

the only time Sanchez and dier play well, is when Toby is playing along side them. when will lose him, unless will get his replacement, our defence will be brick

You're right, he isn't. Though that doesn't matter nearly as much in Jose's system compared to Pep's where ability on the ball is probably an even bigger concern than defensive ability.

Unfortunately Sanchez is a poor passer of the ball. That doesn't have to be a huge problem if he keeps it simple and limits his passes to Lloris, Aurier, Hojbjerg or his central defensive partner. If we're playing against a team who are pressing us and they happen to have closed those passing lanes and he is coming under pressure on the ball then he should be told to go long up the right touchline so we don't get caught on transition.

It's strange, because I think he's played well when given the opportunity
I think I he has stood out for us in the few games
Does the ugly stuff well it seems
Yes he made a costly mistake vs pool but compared to the alternatives that’s nothing...
Unless Jose is working on him closely behind the scenes
I can’t think of a game that he has played with Toby yet either

I think I he has stood out for us in the few games
Does the ugly stuff well it seems
Yes he made a costly mistake vs pool but compared to the alternatives that’s nothing...
Unless Jose is working on him closely behind the scenes
I can’t think of a game that he has played with Toby yet either

Can't be that bad, I think him missing out on the initial Europa squad was a big disadvantage for him.

If I was to guess, the answer is somewhere along the lines of
- Sanchez is often played when we want pace in the CB line-up
- All of the CBs play best with Toby who unfortunately can't play every game (seems he redlines a bit)
- We are probably protecting Rodon (and Tanganga) from a confidence perspective (as Sanchez is the example what happens when a CB loses confidence)

If we didn't have the rotation challenge, I'd like to see

- Toby/Sanchez for tougher games
- Toby/Rodon where we can develop Rodon

(Unsubstantiated) rumours from a mate in Wales - I know, I know! - is that he’s ‘ill’...

Would certainly explain a lot.
Would tie in with something I’ve said recently in that we haven’t a clue of the fitness and availability of ours players as we don’t declare the COVID status of them
Jose said it’s private for those players and we wouldn’t share it

Back