• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who wants a takeover??

NLS

Gordon Durie
I don't like what I'm about to suggest...

I have been thinking about this for a while now and I just heard something on the sports section on Radio 4 that finally pushed me into creating this thread...

They asked Henry Winter, a respected football journalist, about the balance of power in football for the next few years... He said, quite rightly, Emirates Marketing Project, Man U, Chelscum and the Scousers... He didn't say that Emirates Marketing Project and Chelscum are only there because they have been bankrolled..

There was no mention of us and I'm now willing to give up all my principles and hope we are taken over by a multi billionaire who will make us a 'big club'..

I absolutely despise Chelscum for the way they have gone about things but I am now 60, went to my first spurs game 53 years ago and MY time is running out...

So, approach Amazon/ Jeff Bezos about the naming rights for the new stadium and,after promoting the ground and training facilities to get their interest, suggest they buy the club and make us the richest and most successful in the world..

I know what I'm saying is wrong but all my forlorn hope is slowly killing me....

COYS

We've tried to do it the right way and it's won us nothing, we've been successful in our own right by breaking into the so called Top 5, 6 or whatever Sky currently call it
So I'm with you, fudge it with FFP not seeming to be an issue let's try and buy success like Chelsea, City have so bring on Bezos

Bezos has stepped back to the extent that he only makes massive strategic decisions. We need an up and coming tech zillionaire.

The last year or so has shown me that I'm not particularly interested in a win at all costs brand of football and so that has reinforced my opinion that an oligarch type takeover would really take the emotion out of things for me.

No thanks.

Whether the current owners are the ones to deliver the good times now we have the infrastructure to do so remains to be seen - they aren't doing a job that makes me think rolling the dice on new owners is the way to go yet - still hopeful when we get the right manager in place we'll be in a position to back them to the point they can have us winning Leagues and CLs

The last year or so has shown me that I'm not particularly interested in a win at all costs brand of football and so that has reinforced my opinion that an oligarch type takeover would really take the emotion out of things for me.

No thanks.

Whether the current owners are the ones to deliver the good times now we have the infrastructure to do so remains to be seen - they aren't doing a job that makes me think rolling the dice on new owners is the way to go yet - still hopeful when we get the right manager in place we'll be in a position to back them to the point they can have us winning Leagues and CLs

I agree.

Tough one
I want us to win things
But I want my club to be my club... not a play thing
Spurs have been part of my life for 40 years and the only other things that have been part of it longer are my parents and brother (I’m 44).
I want what’s best for the club and I’m still not sure that a mega money owner is that.
What I will say is unlike the oil run clubs and e have the infrastructure in place to stand on our own two feet with or without a oligarch.
So a rich guy coming in would only be expanding on what is already a BIG operation
That’s quite different IMO to what happened at city, Chelsea and PSG.
I can see the Bezos link maturing more and more with the NFL link. It makes sense TBH but there is a genuine issue that we become a subsidiary of an NFL team rather than the priority or lead.
I think what would work would be a combination. Something like a 51/49 split kf ownership with the football club under ENIC being the 51%
That way the cash injection can come and establish the NFL side and clear debt for the football side. That then helps the £££ on that side and raised the commercial profile too, so double bubble

I completely understand the temptation of getting a brick ton of cash, and money no longer being a factor, but i would prefer it if we aimed to do it sustainably. As others have said, i think the infrastructure is in place, just need the final push/shift in mindset amongst the club, from top to bottom.

I would also caution that the number of rich owners who have come in and been successful is quite low. Chelski, bricky are the obvious successes (and may be correlated to having the the most wealthy owners/amount invested), but Birmingham City, Villa, WBA, Blackburn, Sheff Wed to name a few have hardly ripped it up following a cash injection - admittedly the level of their owners wealth is probably a couple of levels down from Abramovich, City and Bezos, but i don't think cash guarantees success. Everton with their new found wealth are investing for the long term from what i can see, and not just tinkling it away on players like Chelsea first time round (and still do)

it's a slippery slope, that... As Modrical correctly points out, for every sheik/oligark/[insert shady multibillionaire from shady country here] that manages to bring success to the clubs they buy there are scores of ruined clubs in their wake.

I want Spurs to have success. But more than that, I want Spurs to BE!
And, I want Spurs to be Spurs as much as it possibly can.

It is a bunch of what-ifs and but-ifs, but here goes.
We knew the stadium build would strain our economy during the building period. Still, we managed to get maximum from that, by playing at Wembley, setting attendance records right, left and center.
Still, we also knew that squad rebuild would be an issue after the stadium rebuild, due to the lack of transfer activity. We can discuss wether it all were due to financial restraints, or due to the right players not being available, but anyhow, the squad became unbalanced and perhaps somewhat stale.

Here comes the ifs and buts:
IF we had not conceded a stupid penalty in the first minute of the champions league final I think we would have won it.
Pochettino _knew_ there was a painful rebuild to come. He started it during the summer, and he _knew_ there would be more in the winter window. All he needed to do was to drag the squad through the tough spell, and get to january, and he could shake tings up. He was not able to do that, either as a direct result of the emotional high and low following CL semi and final, or just because he was totally spent. But oh, what if...
And even so, IF covid had not happened last year, and we had a full stadium every home match from then through to now, with all the revenue from the scheduled events and NFL games, we would have been in a quite different situation all together.

So, would I want someone Mr. Lot's-of-cash to come in and "rescue" us from the clutches of the evil mr Levy and Enic?
Hell no!
Now, if the time comes, and Levy has prepared the club with a sound financial platform, and they feel that the time is right to move on/to the side, and let new owners in to continue on the same trajectory, sure. Fine.

But I don't want some chicken king from some far and distant country, I sure as hell don't want no former or current shady leader of a state, with or without allegations of breaches of human rights, nor do I want russian criminals.
South African billionaire who sends stuff to space and makes flamethrowers for fun? Come on, he has got to be a villain, have you never seen a Bond-movie?
As for self-made bald man who "retires" to do philantrophies? Again, classic Bond-villain.

The club is on track, and with people who have some vested interest in it's success, not a PR exercise or plaything for egos.

People forget 20 years ago Levy/ENIC bought a club that had history and not much else, barely escaped bankruptcy under Sugar, had finished in the top 10 only 3 times in previous decade, old under capacity stadium, brick training facilities, huge gap in revenue to top 4 and purchasable for <£50M (initial controlling interest was £22M)

In the 19 years after, we have only finished outside the top 10 only 3 times, with 12+ years of European Cup competitions, a new stadium, new training facilities, massive investment into the area and as fiscally secure as any club in world football with us being almost on par fiscally with anyone (real revenue) bar United/Pool. Estimated worth £1.5-£2B

Results -> 1 Cup, 4 RU, 6 SF, 10 QF runs (That's 21 times reaching QF or better). 6 Top 4 League results (including 4 in last 5 years)

The myth that Tottenham isn't successful or progressing is actually quite amazing. We have stumbled at the last step way too many times but we have been there

The best chance this club has is to remain well run, continue to grow revenue and re-direct that to squad, well will get over that hurdle. An idiot Billionaire that will have no idea how to run a football club? = no thanks

The club is on track, and with people who have some vested interest in it's success, not a PR exercise or plaything for egos.

People forget 20 years ago Levy/ENIC bought a club that had history and not much else, barely escaped bankruptcy under Sugar, had finished in the top 10 only 3 times in previous decade, old under capacity stadium, brick training facilities, huge gap in revenue to top 4 and purchasable for <£50M (initial controlling interest was £22M)

In the 19 years after, we have only finished outside the top 10 only 3 times, with 12+ years of European Cup competitions, a new stadium, new training facilities, massive investment into the area and as fiscally secure as any club in world football with us being almost on par fiscally with anyone (real revenue) bar United/Pool. Estimated worth £1.5-£2B

Results -> 1 Cup, 4 RU, 6 SF, 10 QF runs (That's 21 times reaching QF or better). 6 Top 4 League results (including 4 in last 5 years)

The myth that Tottenham isn't successful or progressing is actually quite amazing. We have stumbled at the last step way too many times but we have been there

The best chance this club has is to remain well run, continue to grow revenue and re-direct that to squad, well will get over that hurdle. An idiot Billionaire that will have no idea how to run a football club? = no thanks
Well, when you put it like that...

The only thing this club has missed in the Levy/ENIC takeover has been trophies. If you put down some sort of crazy stat for winning trophies, let's call it xT, we'd be seriously underperforming it. All the board can do is get the club into a position where we can challenge, and they've done that in a laudably sustainable way. They've certainly missed a few one-off chances, e.g. that January transfer window under Redknapp, but overall, I can't knock them.

I personally would be against it, but I've supported the club for nearly 70 years and have a totally different attitude to the club and sport than most people including my kids and grandchildren, they are more result driven rather than me and would rather win 1 nil with and og in the last minute than play well.

Money and the media have ripped the heart out of the game and "fans" are now deluded into the belief that their clubs result reflex on them, every victory makes them better than everyone else and defeat leaves them open to ridicule by likeminded simpletons.

Without removing the debt we will not be able to sign the mercenaries to stay in touch with the clubs funded by billionaires and will probably slip back to being a mid table team which is unacceptable to most. I've enjoyed the last decade at the club but in that period I've had more disappointments than I have since the 70s.

I’d take one if it were a legitimate offer and they brought someone in to handle the football side of the operations. We all loathe clubs like city and PSG but ask their fans if they care. And as much as we don’t like how they run their clubs and they detrimental effect it has had on the game, can you really argue their respective owners haven’t been good for their clubs? Remains to be seen what happens going forward but city’s infrastructure and academy has been transformed not to mention the investment in the team and stadium so I am inclined to think they are here to stay and whoever inherits them will be in better position than when Mansour took over.

If it gets us over the line to win titles and cups then I’m all for it.

I’d take one if it were a legitimate offer and they brought someone in to handle the football side of the operations. We all loathe clubs like city and PSG but ask their fans if they care. And as much as we don’t like how they run their clubs and they detrimental effect it has had on the game, can you really argue their respective owners haven’t been good for their clubs? Remains to be seen what happens going forward but city’s infrastructure and academy has been transformed not to mention the investment in the team and stadium so I am inclined to think they are here to stay and whoever inherits them will be in better position than when Mansour took over.

If it gets us over the line to win titles and cups then I’m all for it.
Of course the fans don't care - they're as plastic as the clubs they support.

Last edited:
Back