• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

If it was only that it looked like it was settling issues, it would be OK. My main issue is that everything he does looks so incredibly slow and half hearted, especially when tracking back! In addition he looks disinterested and unfocused, as proved in the clip.
Can't remember I've seen a single time that he looked like busting his gut to get back. Its always been just a slow jog! That's not for not being settled and adjusting to a new team. You can still give it your absolute max physically, and he just doesn't.
Why that is, I don't know, but with the application he's been giving, he's not a player I want at Spurs, because he does not have world class ability locked in there somewhere.

Absolutely this. It is the blokes attitude. It is severely lacking.

I don't know the reasons why... but he has been rank average for Spurs so far.
I was alarmed to read (above) that he is 29, just going past his peak and into "old git" territory for a full back... get rid of him ASAP and reinvest please.
He is MILES off what we need and age is not on his side.

I don't know the reasons why... but he has been rank average for Spurs so far.
I was alarmed to read (above) that he is 29, just going past his peak and into "old git" territory for a full back... get rid of him ASAP and reinvest please.
He is MILES off what we need and age is not on his side.
One of several old gits who need offloading as part of the painful rebuild.

Lloris 34
Hart 33
Alderweireld 31
Sissoko 31
Rose 30

+ Lamela and Moura, 29 this year
Yeah, would be nice to upgrade on those 2 squad fillers too (well unless Lamela can miraculously get over his perennial injury woes) but very much doubt our transfer committee is brave enough to sanction 8 changes to squad in 1 window.

Yeah, would be nice to upgrade on those 2 squad fillers too (well unless Lamela can miraculously get over his perennial injury woes) but very much doubt our transfer committee is brave enough to sanction 8 changes to squad in 1 window.

Agree that we wouldnt make 8 changes to a squad in a summer however on your list of 8:

- Rose doesnt really count as he's out of contract and won't need replacing
- even if we do sign a keeper, there's a reasonable chance that we might not let Lloris or Hart go this summer, depending on who the incoming keeper is and what we do with Whiteman and Austin
- I think the chances of selling Doherty are minimal and selling players after 1 year in a club doesnt happen that often. I'd also give him a second season to prove himself

Why does Mourinho keep picking him? What on Earth has he done to justify being picked ahead of Tanganga? Apart from having Jorge Mendes as an agent?

What on Earth does he do right?

Just bin him this season - don't want to see this bloke lumbering around again until next September. Whatever it is - the COVID, the new team or whatever, he has been useless and incompetent from start to finish. Take him out of the firing line - send him home, and maybe he can try again next season.

Baffling he wasn't subbed at half time. Everything they created came down our right side - Bale being poor as well didn't help, but Doherty was overrun time and time again. And he only got worse in the second half too.
Which makes it all the more baffling that the players (BECAUSE IT IS NEVER JOSE’S FAULT) didn’t reorganize to play in a formation that supported an out of sorts player getting ripped apart. Definitely not Jose’s fault. Never.

I find it incredibly infuriating when we make an absolute guarantee round peg signing and the player struggles.

Humans are fudging brick at football.

Doherty just the latest in a long line, not the first and unlikely to be the last.

Baffling he wasn't subbed at half time. Everything they created came down our right side - Bale being poor as well didn't help, but Doherty was overrun time and time again. And he only got worse in the second half too.

Hence my wondering if Aurier was truly available.

Looking at today's game:
- first 55 mins he has Bale in front of him who did nothing defensively and left him 2 on 1 all the time
- after that, we took Bale off and had a RW who worked, and that stopped them killing us down our right

I think its hard to criticise Doherty much for today. He's been poor all season, but I dont see how we could have played well today given how exposed he was

Looking at today's game:
- first 55 mins he has Bale in front of him who did nothing defensively and left him 2 on 1 all the time
- after that, we took Bale off and had a RW who worked, and that stopped them killing us down our right

I think its hard to criticise Doherty much for today. He's been poor all season, but I dont see how we could have played well today given how exposed he was
It's easy to criticise him for the goal, it didn't come from an overload it was a simple 1 on 1 in which Tierney dropped his shoulder and destroyed him. The lack of support from Bale didn't help him in the first half, but its not a valid excuse for the goal.

It's easy to criticise him for the goal, it didn't come from an overload it was a simple 1 on 1 in which Tierney dropped his shoulder and destroyed him. The lack of support from Bale didn't help him in the first half, but its not a valid excuse for the goal.

I haven't watched it since the game, but Tierney wasnt his man

I haven't watched it since the game, but Tierney wasnt his man
He was challenging Tierney directly, there was no one else there and Tierney just dropped his shoulder and ran past him. On that play Tierney was 10000 percent his man and he did awfully.

So poorly 1 on 1 that it actually negates the defence of Bale not helping him out today. When he needed no help he fudged it up.

And as I said I've not even been one to criticise him this season, I'm willing to give him a season before passing my judgement but it's not looking good.

Back