• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

They don’t seem to be going crazy on second jabs. I wondered yesterday whether, given that the immunity conferred by the first seems to be at a good level, they will carry on giving as many first doses as possible through the Spring and Summer (while case numbers are likely to be much lower) and then give an Autumn booster as the only follow-up.

The suggestion seems to be that the Autumn jab will be ‘next generation’ and will do an even better job of offering protection.

Is that likely to happen, especially if protection from the first jab is seen to be staying at a good level?

Not unless the regulator changes it’s advice- and it will be a major headache to move all of those existing appointments for the second jab.

remember it is 12 weeks gap for the booster and we really only got going in the new year which was 8 weeks back.

I've seen a little bit of Atkins stuff recently. It doesn't seem typical for the BBC

Seemed odd.

I mean he was right on every point. But I don't get the criticism of the EU, never seen that before in the BBC, I assume he has been sacked or demoted.

In the video Macron said the British need to decide what we are, we can't be a great friend of Europe and America and become a European Singapore. I would ask why the hell not. It is a big world, we should make alliances with lots of different countries. Don't see why wanting to trade, buy and sell stuff from Europe should stops us from being allies with America.

I feel a lot of European politics comes from their hatred of the USA and the politicians of Europe desire to conquer and control people. It is perfectly shown up by Macron in that video and it is why I have had my long held stance as a leaver.

On covid news the sister and brother in law have had it so we are inching closer to all being vacanited. Sadly not the lot living in Ireland yet.

What a mess they’ve made of it!

That reporting is too simplistic.
It highlights what will be a defining issue of 21/22.
We have seen concerns over AZ vaccine in the EU and in SA.
The UK is taking a big risk by using a vaccine that has a few question marks over it - the main one being a possible inferior reaction to the SA variant.
If the SA variant gets to the UK in large volumes we met be back to square one.
Anyone not using AZ is leaving their population open to prolonged restrictions.
There are few black or white answers, just lots of grey. Unfortunately we live in a world where people can't cope with nuance.

Any over politicising any part of vaccine roll out is irresponsible. But inevitable.

Any over politicising any part of vaccine roll out is irresponsible. But inevitable.

I bit like the start of the pandemic then.

Except it is the EU in the wrong this time so we have to find excuses for them.

If Johnson had come out and said what macron said about the Oxford vaccine he would have been vilified and rightly so. For macron to say that despite none of his scientists giving him that information means he has put French lives at risk. He is on a par with Trump and his drink bleach nonsense. Trump said what he said because he is stupid, Macron was motivated by pure hatred, misplaced hatred because the vaccine had precious little to do with Britain.

As for the South African variant it remains a real concern and it is why air travel should really be banned till enough of the world has been vaccinated that covid dissappears.

The lack of criticism of the behaviour over some on the EU side when compared to the criticism the UK government got for it's slow reaction and muddled start makes me even more sure that people were taking pot shots because they just don't like the government. Not criticising the EU because it is nothing to fo with us won't hold any water because people were more then ready to rightly have a go at Trump.

The UK is taking a big risk by using a vaccine that has a few question marks over it - the main one being a possible inferior reaction to the SA variant.
There are few black or white answers, just lots of grey. Unfortunately we live in a world where people can't cope with nuance.

In no way is it a big risk wtf are you going on about?

There are other vaccines on the horizon.

I don't see using the AZ vaccine as a risk at all, new vaccines are being developed to combat the SA and other variants but in the meantime surely we should be vaccinating with whatever we have that's approved.

Looks like the South African variant is yesterday’s news...

Looks like the South African variant is yesterday’s news...

That is what I was trying to explain above - it's not yesterday's news in terms of its rhetoric and the feeling towards it.
SA and the EU seem reluctant to use it - that's now news, because it affects the world.
The EU and SA might (probably will) end up being overly cautious (I won't say wrong - it's too binary), but there are clearly concerns around AZ.
We are being not cautious at all re; vaccine roll out, and If goes smoothly we'll be in a fantastic position (which is the likely outcome). If something does go wrong (and something will, probably minor) it won't be a failure, it will be a consequence of taking a different approach to risk.

The overly politicing and use of binary arguments is damaging.

That is what I was trying to explain above - it's not yesterday's news in terms of its rhetoric and the feeling towards it.
SA and the EU seem reluctant to use it - that's now news, because it affects the world.
The EU and SA might (probably will) end up being overly cautious (I won't say wrong - it's too binary), but there are clearly concerns around AZ.
We are being not cautious at all re; vaccine roll out, and If goes smoothly we'll be in a fantastic position (which is the likely outcome). If something does go wrong (and something will, probably minor) it won't be a failure, it will be a consequence of taking a different approach to risk.

The overly politicing and use of binary arguments is damaging.

No.

Back