• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dane Scarlett

My worry with Etete is his size.... I mean that because he was very big and strong, very young, and often those players do not develop as much skill and anticipation as they can just blow the opposition away by their size until they get to about 17, 18.
Can’t say I’ve seen him play to comment but I do agree with your logic
I mean Abraham is a classic big lad can’t play that well but can still be effective

Yes, saw that too. It might mean that we re-consider whether we want to shell out cash on Vinicius in the summer, particularly in a window when we might not have that much cash and some urgent priorities.

For example, could we go with Kane, Son, Scarlett and Parrott as CF options next season and not spend a penny on a CF?

If that's not enough, what about finding a Llorente Mk II who, given current financial conditions, you might get for say £5m - £10m.

I wonder whether we need to spent £20m - £25m on a CF who is mid-career (even if Vinicius did play better tonight)

I think Parrott needs another loan get more experience.

My tip for back up striker would Dzeko on a free. Think that vinny is a good striker but we need to spend money elsewhere.

Yes, saw that too. It might mean that we re-consider whether we want to shell out cash on Vinicius in the summer, particularly in a window when we might not have that much cash and some urgent priorities.

For example, could we go with Kane, Son, Scarlett and Parrott as CF options next season and not spend a penny on a CF?

If that's not enough, what about finding a Llorente Mk II who, given current financial conditions, you might get for say £5m - £10m.

I wonder whether we need to spent £20m - £25m on a CF who is mid-career (even if Vinicius did play better tonight)
Honestly people, can you not remember Fraser Campbell? Or Gregor Raziak? Or Bobby Soldier? Or Vincent Janssen? I'd bite Vicinius' agent's arm off for £20M! Goals in football are one of rarest things in sport. We've got someone who's had a season's training with the squad, in our current manager's system (whatever that is). In a world where some barely proven Championship youngster would set you back £10M, I'd be more than happy for Levy to shell out £20M for a proven backup goalscorer.

Honestly people, can you not remember Fraser Campbell? Or Gregor Raziak? Or Bobby Soldier? Or Vincent Janssen? I'd bite Vicinius' agent's arm off for £20M! Goals in football are one of rarest things in sport. We've got someone who's had a season's training with the squad, in our current manager's system (whatever that is). In a world where some barely proven Championship youngster would set you back £10M, I'd be more than happy for Levy to shell out £20M for a proven backup goalscorer.

Do you feel that we will have enough cash to sign two CBs this summer?

Good question. CBs are a priority. However, we've seen repeatedly that we also need 3 forwards who can score goals. Bale might be one of them, but I don't think Parrott is, unless he suddenly figures out where the goal is. On the other hand, we've got the opportunity to sign a proven quantity. I don't think he's worth £40M given our current situation, but I'm really hoping that'd come down to a lot less with a bit of Levy magic. Or negotiate payment in instalments. Or something. It's what he does.

I'd hope that leaves enough for one mid-priced defender -- either another Rodon or an experienced hand to take on the Alderweireld role. Our CB situation next season should be Rodon+1, so hopefully that one signing will do the job, with Sanchez/DIer/Tanganga filling in. I'm not sure that Eyoma will be ready.

I'd hope that leaves enough for one mid-priced defender -- either another Rodon or an experienced hand to take on the Alderweireld role. Our CB situation next season should be Rodon+1, so hopefully that one signing will do the job, with Sanchez/DIer/Tanganga filling in. I'm not sure that Eyoma will be ready.

You're a lot more optimistic about our CB options than I am!!

Parrot is still an unknown and has to show he's not going to be permanently crocked with injuries (he's struggled for some time now)

Scarlett being in first team doesn't mean we will be able to depend on him, I'd see it more like Kane/Son in PL, Vinicius/Scarlett in cups.

You probably looking at 2+ years before he's a dependable option, ideal would be he ends up being Kane's successor.

You're a lot more optimistic about our CB options than I am!!
We're not going to suddenly find a CB pairing as good as Toby and Jan. That just doesn't happen. But a solid pairing in a settled back 4 shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

One of my biggest disappointments with Mourinho has been the lack of defensive solidity. If nothing else, I expected a well drilled defensive unit. You don't do that by changing your CBs every two games. Are Dier, an ageing Alderweireld and Sanchez really so bad that one of the world's top defensive coaches can't get anything out of them? Or are they let down by the FB options alongside them?

Perhaps Mourinho got lucky with Terry, like Wenger did with Adams and clambell.

But anyway, this thread is about Scarlett. I hope to see him starting cup matches next season, or (if we still have Sonny and Kane plus a rejuvenated Bale and Vicinius) loaned out somewhere that he'll learn consistency and responsibility. Like Skipp is doing.

Last edited:
I think we could have
I do agree the deal for Vinny looks wrong at the agreed value. But I don’t think any fan wouldn’t want to keep him if we could do the right deal
On the CB front £50mmwoukd get us two more than capable players to improve the first 11 and we cAn fund that kind of move by selling players we don’t want/need next season.

We're not going to suddenly find a CB pairing as good as Toby and Jan. That just doesn't happen. But a solid pairing in a settled back 4 shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

One of my biggest disappointments with Mourinho has been the lack of a sold defence. If nothing else, I expected a well drilled defensive unit. You don't do that by changing your CBs every two games. Are Dier, an aging Alderweireld and Sanchez really so bad that one of the world's top defensive coaches can't get anything out of them? Or are they let down by the FB options alongside them?

Perhaps Mourinho got lucky with Terry, like Wenger did with Adams and clambell.

But anyway, this thread is about Scarlett. I hope to see him starting cup matches next season, or (if we still have Sonny and Kane plus a rejuvenated Bale and Vicinius) loaned out somewhere that he'll learn consistency and responsibility. Like Skipp is doing.

My point about CBs was in your response to signing Vinicius. If we're short of cash this summer, I'd rather we sort out our CB problems and then have to accept getting a Llorente type solution at CF, as opposed to short-changing the CB signing(s) and ending up with another Sanchez

On the CB front £50mmwoukd get us two more than capable players to improve the first 11 and we cAn fund that kind of move by selling players we don’t want/need next season.

Let's see. It depends on the finances of other clubs and us shopping well. To get two CBs, £50m might be pushing it. And I'm not convinced that we'll get much for Moura, Lamela, Sissoko, Sanchez etc. We can't assume that we'll be able to sign players on the cheap due to covid etc, but that players which we sell fetch normal prices

Let's see. It depends on the finances of other clubs and us shopping well. To get two CBs, £50m might be pushing it. And I'm not convinced that we'll get much for Moura, Lamela, Sissoko, Sanchez etc. We can't assume that we'll be able to sign players on the cheap due to covid etc, but that players which we sell fetch normal prices
Normal prices off those though IMO is £10m plus
I’d say that’s achievable

Normal prices off those though IMO is £10m plus
I’d say that’s achievable

And you might be right that we could get two CBs for £50m. I just think that offloading the unwanted players will be hard in those circumstances....and that will have implications for what we do with our CF options

Kane usually gets an injury and I don't think Son is as effective when he plays up top, better running in from the channels. I might be wrong but I think it's probably a couple of seasons to early for Scarlett and Parrott to be the first choice back up and playing in the early cup games - they've barely played any 1st team football really.

And you might be right that we could get two CBs for £50m. I just think that offloading the unwanted players will be hard in those circumstances....and that will have implications for what we do with our CF options
It’s always hard shifting our players in any window

Back