• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Nobody is saying that it's not reasonable to have a discussion on how the team is currently performing or the position of the manager (I've called for his head myself).
But all the crying about a massive rebuild that is going to take 5 years is nothing but hyperbole.

First time here?

- We were never going to get a better manager than Jol
- We were never going to replace Berbatov, Carrick, etc.
- We were never going to get another shot at top 4
- Levy is just in it for a quick buck and flip (20 years later)

This place is nothing but hyperbole ..

A lot of the not goods are punts or players for the future.

Players signed for the first team :

Hojberg
Regulion
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Bergwijn

Pretty good succes rate there.

The rest are a mixture of prospects, squad improvements or freebie punts/loans.

A CB (or 2) and a Midfielder signed of the level of the first group would go down a treat in the summer and a couple more squad/prospect options to bolster the squad in light of some hopeful outgoings

Wasn't directed at your post mate
That's 5 first team players signed over 4 transfer windows. Only 3 of which look like bona-fide upgrades to the first team. That doesn't fill me with great hope if I'm honest.

That's 5 first team players signed over 4 transfer windows. Only 3 of which look like bona-fide upgrades to the first team. That doesn't fill me with great hope if I'm honest.

4 windows if you want to make it sound bad - 2 seasons if you don't.

I'm not sure what sort of success rate you are expecting with transfers but you'd be hard pressed to call GLC and Bergwijn flops at this stage so 3 hits out of 5 and 2 that are ok (at worst?)

I'm not sure what sort of success rate you are expecting with transfers but you'd be hard pressed to call GLC and Bergwijn flops at this stage so 3 hits out of 5 and 2 that are ok (at worst?)
Usually 2 new first team players a year is how much you need to look to be improving. Our problem is that our lack of investment up until Summer 2019 gave us quite a bit of catching up to do.

If we want to become a top 6 team again then this summer I think we need 2 x CB and 1 x AM (unless the manager finds a way to integrate Dele). So 3 in one window. That has to be our minimum aim for the summer and we need to start with the 2 centre backs and have them signed reasonably early in the window.

If we want to be a top 4 team then on top of that I think we also need 1 x GK, 1 x wide forward and 1 x left back capable of challenging Regulion for a place in the team (to be fair that should be Sessegnon).

The above assumes that Ndombele continues to play and develop further in that deeper partnering Hojbjerg.

Exactly! 2 seasons, 5 potential first team players, with Kane and Son (who you aren't going to upgrade on) plus decent squad depth.

You add another 5 over the next 2 years and you would be fine

Exactly! 2 seasons, 5 potential first team players, with Kane and Son (who you aren't going to upgrade on) plus decent squad depth.

You add another 5 over the next 2 years and you would be fine

I think we need 8 (decent) signings over the next few windows - 2 keepers, 2 CBs, replacements for Sissoko, Moura and Lamela, and a Vinicius replacement. Some first-team, some squad players.

Forget January window. Can you do that lot in 2 summers? Perhaps, 3 summers certainly

We need to more than double our investments to catch up with the two years that we did not buy anyone. Always wondered if there was any disagreement in the transfer committee.. Budget wise poch would have been ideal to trade good talent for a war chest to continue investments in young talents and improving the total team quality.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think we need 8 (decent) signings over the next few windows - 2 keepers, 2 CBs, replacements for Sissoko, Moura and Lamela, and a Vinicius replacement. Some first-team, some squad players.

Forget January window. Can you do that lot in 2 summers? Perhaps, 3 summers certainly

It looks crazy when you put it as 8, however

Year 1

1 first team keeper, 1 first team CB
I disagree re Vinicius, I think there is something there, we just need to be braver and give him minutes with first team (play alongside/with one of Kane/Son)
I think you keep one of Lucas/Lamela for squad
CM addition depends on Gio getting fit and proving himself

Backup keeper, Rodon, Tanganga, Skipp, Sessegnon all fight for first team rotation

-> Dele, Sanchez, Sissoko, Rose, Winks out

Year 2

- 2nd CB, 2nd Keeper +FB/AM/CM (depending on who worked out or didn't in year 1)

-> Lloris, Toby, Dier, Davies out (at this stage refresh is pretty much done)

We need to more than double our investments to catch up with the two years that we did not buy anyone. Always wondered if there was any disagreement in the transfer committee.. Budget wise poch would have been ideal to trade good talent for a war chest to continue investments in young talents and improving the total team quality.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

This has been done to death, several people close to club including Hoddle are insistent that Poch was offered players and didn't take them in the windows we didn't buy.

Was that due to disagreement of the players, or him just gun shy after the failures of Sanchez and the french winger rotation we had going? that we won't likely ever know.

Year 1

I disagree re Vinicius, I think there is something there, we just need to be braver and give him minutes with first team (play alongside/with one of Kane/Son)

Backup keeper, Rodon, Tanganga, Skipp, Sessegnon all fight for first team rotation

Year 2

- 2nd CB, 2nd Keeper +FB/AM/CM (depending on who worked out or didn't in year 1)

Yes, whether its 8 or not its close to 8. There's also a chance that Regi will be grabbed back by Real, replacements for Bale/Dele etc if they go

Point is that there's enough incomings needed that we won't be able to pay £50m+ for each and need to take slightly less proven players but with potential

Obviously happy for Levy to prove us wrong and us be able to spend that cash! Withou CL football, and with the stadium debt, I dont see it though

Year 1

Year 2

Year 1:
Whether we keep or replace Vinicius it costs us money - so that is one signing required.
1 GK that's two signings. If we're expecting him to take over from Lloris one year later then it needs to be a very good keeper we're signing here and not just a backup.
Plus 1 CB - that's three signings.

3 signings here leaves us:
Still having to play one of our current comedy options at centre back, unless Rodon happens to already be surprisingly good.... and if he is then let's see him in the team now!
Now having central midfield options of Hojbjerg (v good), Ndombele (v good), Skipp (big step up to PL football) Lo Celso (usually injured). That looks VERY light to me.
As our wide forward options we have Son, Moura and Bergwijn. So unless Clarke happens to step up very quickly we look a bit light here.
As our attacking midfield options we have Lamela (usually injured) and Lo Celso (also usually injured and one of only four players listed as a potential central midfield player). Again - VERY light!
Signing 1 CB, 1 keeper to challenge Lloris and making Vinicius's loan permanent doesn't get us anywhere near the big trophies mate unfortunately.

Then we move on to year two:

Son now has 1 year left on his contract and Kane has 2. Neither are sitting down with the chairman to discuss a new contract as we're clearly nowhere near challenging for the big trophies. Aurier is also now out of contract.

*edit.... It's not all bad news as there are a bunch of very good players out there out of contract this summer or with 1 year left on their current contract. I'll list a bunch of them now in the transfer thread. I don't trust Levy to get over the line the 4 or 5 we need both this summer and next summer though.

Last edited:
First time here?

- We were never going to get a better manager than Jol
- We were never going to replace Berbatov, Carrick, etc.
- We were never going to get another shot at top 4
- Levy is just in it for a quick buck and flip (20 years later)

This place is nothing but hyperbole ..

More like this is some cases.

OIP.woTTQXO95Ifx93oVby1QmQHaEK

Needs to find a way of getting a cash injection into the club or he will have to sell more of his prized assets. I assume son is off in the summer because he understandably won't sign a new contract.

Time to earn that increased wage of yours danny boy.

Needs to change the manager. Otherwise we'll have Jose ruining next season as well as this one
Problem is that the reports suggest he’s been bent over by Jose and getting rid of him will cost the club over £30m.... Still, the second highest paid chairman in the PL is great value for money!

Problem is that the reports suggest he’s been bent over by Jose and getting rid of him will cost the club over £30m.... Still, the second highest paid chairman in the PL is great value for money!

I really can’t believe that Levy has been that naive. I know he admires Mourinho but to not give himself a get out clause when you look at Mourinhos recent record and how risky an appointment he was (given our way of doing business) would have been reckless. I don’t believe Daniel Levy is that reckless.

i thought you don't pay managers off in one lump, they just carry on picking up their weekly wage until they are working again?

The club will be going into this summer in one of the weakest positions it's ever been in under ENIC.
  • COVID has blasted a gaping hole in Danny Boy's plan with the stadium - we're haemorraging money at the moment while indebted, and literally the only worse outcome would have been if the pandemic had hit while it was still under construction.
  • Kane and Son will be looking to leave - I don't blame them, either.
  • If this useless Portuguese waster is still around, he will demand 500m for new players.
  • We have loads and loads of absolutely terrible rubbish to clear out, but I doubt anyone in football has money to pay for them right now.
  • Will season ticket holders actually go back in numbers after this summer if we finish 15th, sell Son and Kane, and look as hopeless as we look now?
The only way I can possibly see to stave off some of this is to bring capital into the club to fund a squad rebuild - something to get folks excited for the future, a new start.

But to do so will require a large injection of capital from somewhere - preferably a sale of equity, or an outright change in ownership. Enough to eat the below-market prices we'll get for wasters like l Sanchez and Dier and buy quality to replace them.

Also, it would be an opportunity to catch up with the football world - overhaul our data analytics teams, hire a sports psychologist, hire some new scouts, hire some new physios. That part, Levy used to be good at. He isn't anymore.

But without an injection of capital, I don't see how we avert a looming disaster this summer. I think Levy and Lewis need to think about selling a stake or full ownership if they actually care.

Weirdly enough, I think Lewis might be open to it as well - if I recall correctly, Tavistock Group is extremely heavily invested in commercial real estate, restaurants, hotels and retail, all of which have been decimated by the pandemic. Selling us might be a way to recoup some losses.

i thought you don't pay managers off in one lump, they just carry on picking up their weekly wage until they are working again?

You do if you straight up sack them, I think - then it's just one lump-sum payment. The situation we had with Poch is the minority outcome, where we didn't actually sack him as I recall - he was still employed by the club until he found a new job.

Back