• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official TV Thread ***

No, haven't seen either of the two above referenced series. Maybe Ballers borrowed and expanded some of the themes and translated them to US sport. All the best American TV shows steal from British TV. They might run close, but not sure they represent a direct comparison either.

Ballers has current or, now former, NFL and US college players, coaches and media personalities in it which lend a strong level of authenticity. We get to see Baltimore's Terrell Suggs - an active player at the time - banging a babe in one scene. Apart from these tasty bits, it's clear the NFL provided great access and co-operation to make Ballers happen and they use actual team names and facilities. And it's not all happy times and positive imaging. There's players using guns in one segment. Drug dependency - Vicodin, steroids - is also looked at. Multi-million dollar stars looking to get out of the game due to concussion fears. All very current themes and issues.

The NFL might not be your cup of tea but the show carries enough general interest and humour for non-fans, incl. my wife.

i nearly gave up on Wandavision myself after the first couple - if you went in cold not knowing *something* was coming i don't think there was much there to keep you interested but now having got to the reveal things are picking up it looks like it'll be a good show. Shame Disney do things week by week as id rather binge it, last night i watched all 5 with the GF as she hadn't seen 1&2

I watched the first episode, but had reservations about it before watching. I thought that the show trailers presented a weird sidestep for Marvel. The trailers showed a sitcom style, and a not very funny one at that. Given the height of the humour shown by Marvel through the history of their films, this show definitely felt out of place.

I thought that perhaps they were trying different styles for the different character sets, and this one just happened to have a sitcom style to it. Why would Marvel do this? I don’t know, but Agents of Shield was disappointing, so perhaps Wandavision would be.

I watched the first episode, and it was as poor as the trailer suggested. It was boring, not funny, and I gave up on it. I couldn’t finish watching it but tried a couple of times.

It was only in this last week that I read about people’s excitement in having watched episode 5. I thought I’d give it a go and just keep going, even if the rest was to continue in the same style, it was worth a try due to the hit ratio that Marvel has operated with.

I’m happy that I did give it another try. The first couple of episodes were awful, and there is still an element of awkwardness/cringe running through it and with the humour. It’s not funny. But, there is something about it, and as the mystery unfolds I now can’t wait to see the next episode. It’s going to be interesting to see where the ‘cameo’ of episode 5 leads, how events unravel and to see the path that the show takes from here. Definitely worth persevering with.

Finished The Serpent last night. Thought it was excellent. Incredible to think it's actually a true story.
The short dedication at the end was very poignant.
Finished The Serpent last night. Very near the top of the list of things i have watched over the last year. I've done pretty much all of the locations the story was set in, thankfully after The Serpents time...eek.

As you say, when you know something is true, it adds on a whole new layer of how you view it, and the impact.

Just finished the Comey Rule. Very fine, engaging TV though does come off as a bit of an advert for the FBI at times. Strong cast.
Gleeson was a scene-stealer and portrayed Trump in such a way as to trigger (brilliantly) some uncomfortable emotions among the recently abused Americans. I've heard it described somewhere as invoking almost 'uncanny valley' like emotions at times. I thought on the whole it was very good, but certainly Comey's decisions, whether for altruistic motives or not, swung the election from Clinton to Trump and that ultimately will be his legacy. Good TV though.

Gleeson was a scene-stealer and portrayed Trump in such a way as to trigger (brilliantly) some uncomfortable emotions among the recently abused Americans. I've heard it described somewhere as invoking almost 'uncanny valley' like emotions at times. I thought on the whole it was very good, but certainly Comey's decisions, whether for altruistic motives or not, swung the election from Clinton to Trump and that ultimately will be his legacy. Good TV though.

I actually thought Daniels took the scenes (obviously helped by Gleeson in synergy) when it was just the two of them. The way he had to remain impassive despite the onslaught of irrelevance and boasting and you can only see it humming distantly at his features. Thought Gleeson was very good but not perfect, at times his voice was too deep and growly and the impression slipped for me (perhaps that isn't his fault though).

I’m happy that I did give it another try. The first couple of episodes were awful, and there is still an element of awkwardness/cringe running through it and with the humour. It’s not funny. But, there is something about it, and as the mystery unfolds I now can’t wait to see the next episode. It’s going to be interesting to see where the ‘cameo’ of episode 5 leads, how events unravel and to see the path that the show takes from here. Definitely worth persevering with.

Oh ye of little faith. Marvel have dropped the odd average movie for sure (Thor 2, Iron Man 2) but ultimately they are on top of their game. I'm glad you saw the light and returned because the show is purposely a massive mindfudge, a show within a show within a show (oooh Inception).

It purposely borrows tropes from TV Sitcoms throughout history and replays them into the modern day, it's an incredibly different show and pushing boundaries in that respect. As i said before, comic book movies and shows, when they get things right, never get the credit they deserve.

The MCU is 22 interconnected films leading to a culmination over 10 years, the sheer audacity to attempt to do such a thing across different characters and timeframes deserves far more respect than simply being one of the biggest earners in move history.

Logan, outside the MCU, had two phenomenal acting performances in Jackman and Stewart, was rightly lauded but received no official plaudits when they deserved better. The acting and relationship between the two of them, especially Stewart, is just amazing.

Anyway, apologies for the rant.

Watch WandaVision.

Anybody watched Its A Sin?

The main characters have very slightly more depth than you’d expect of an embattled space station crew in a mid-season 10th Doctor RTD script, but not enough to carry four episodes properly. The final episode has a turn from a hitherto supporting character, though, which is cleverly written, well acted and highly watchable. The reaction to pandemics, then and now, and the 80s nostalgia both add value. If you’re running out of unwatched telly, go for it.

The main characters have very slightly more depth than you’d expect of an embattled space station crew in a mid-season 10th Doctor RTD script, but not enough to carry four episodes properly. The final episode has a turn from a hitherto supporting character, though, which is cleverly written, well acted and highly watchable. The reaction to pandemics, then and now, and the 80s nostalgia both add value. If you’re running out of unwatched telly, go for it.

Oh I've seen it, was wondering what others thought

I don't massively disagree with your comments but I found it a really emotional portrayal of a situation that was awful at the time and even worse when looked back on now

Back