• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

So funny how some post about Mourinho being past it as a manager and that his historic pedigree counts for nothing, even though I'm sure he won a cup or two in his last occupancy... yet want to give dele some sort of pass because of his history for us ...

At the very least it can be said that Mourinhos past it and still won things that any manager would take. Whereas Dele looks shockingly poor, not even average over the last year or so.

He possibly needs a move to revive his career. There is a player there for sure but perhaps his heart isn't in it at spurs.

I'd happy sell and replace rather than having this urge or willingness for him to miraculously turn things around.

He doesn't fit into the current managers plans, and I think it's only fair on all parties that he is moved on.
I think your probably right. He could revive things here but let's face it, it doesn't look like he has a relationship with the manager that inspires a turnaround, and considering how he was playing pre Jose, a good inspiring relationship is probably what he needs.

Just to point out, I know all players are different but Lamela has had similar playing time to Dele but comes in for the last two games firing.

I think your probably right. He could revive things here but let's face it, it doesn't look like he has a relationship with the manager that inspires a turnaround, and considering how he was playing pre Jose, a good inspiring relationship is probably what he needs.

Just to point out, I know all players are different but Lamela has had similar playing time to Dele but comes in for the last two games firing.

Was Dele playing well pre-Jose? I thought he was poor even under Pochettino who I thought had Dele down as one of his favourite players? Perhaps he has peaked and is exhausted physically or mentally or even wants a new challenge or there is off pitch rubbish affecting him. I honestly don't know. All I do know is that if he continues like this, it is the end of him at the highest level. He may still get clubs based on past glories.

Was Dele playing well pre-Jose? I thought he was poor even under Pochettino who I thought had Dele down as one of his favourite players? Perhaps he has peaked and is exhausted physically or mentally or even wants a new challenge or there is off pitch rubbish affecting him. I honestly don't know. All I do know is that if he continues like this, it is the end of him at the highest level. He may still get clubs based on past glories.

Half way through Poch's last season this thread/forum seemed pretty unanimous in it's praise of him :

https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/dele-alli.7406/page-200

He was poor but as a fans favourite a lot of excuses were made for him ie. playing a different position, working hard for the team etc etc.

That's why when Mourinho came in a lot of expectation was that he would get him back to top form die to a similarity to Frank Lampard and initially he did get some goals from him but it seems he wasn't happy with the rest of his performances.

From the bits I saw, he looked decent against WolfsB. We all know they aren't the sternest test, but hopefully he'll gain some confidence in himself and from The Lord GHod Jose. A fit and firing Dele would be like a, he'd be like... like a new signing?

Agreed. Lost possession more times than ideal I thought, but showed a good few flashes of quality and I thought worked extremely hard. Really hope he makes his way back into genuine first team plans.

From the bits I saw, he looked decent against WolfsB. We all know they aren't the sternest test, but hopefully he'll gain some confidence in himself and from The Lord GHod Jose. A fit and firing Dele would be like a, he'd be like... like a new signing?

Flashes of what could be and right application, but probably not enough and a few silly decisions as per normal Dele (notably when he nutmegged the defender and could have squared the pass for an easy goal, instead decided to try to nutmegg keeper from a crazy tight angle). I'd play him again Wednesday on that performance but not Sunday.

... a few silly decisions as per normal Dele (notably when he nutmegged the defender and could have squared the pass for an easy goal, instead decided to try to nutmegg keeper from a crazy tight angle).
Maybe, but I thought Dele's attempt was worth a try. It reminded me of how Les Allen scored a few of his 23 goals in the Double winning season. His favourite ploy was to dribble his way right down to the goal line and inside the six yard box, then feint to pass before slotting the ball in at the near post from the very tightest of angles, leaving the goalie and his defence utterly bewildered.

The sort of goal you rarely see nowadays, but Les made a habit of it.

i don't think he tried to nutmeg the keeper he just tried to shoot, which he was well within his rights to do. We saw in the Plovdiv game that having a hand in multiple goals doesn't seem to count for much so he probably thought best to try and get on the scoresheet.

Flashes of what could be and right application, but probably not enough and a few silly decisions as per normal Dele (notably when he nutmegged the defender and could have squared the pass for an easy goal, instead decided to try to nutmegg keeper from a crazy tight angle). I'd play him again Wednesday on that performance but not Sunday.
You can't hold that against him, do you not want to be entertained! Very close to going in. Fair enough if he does that somewhere else on the pitch which results in a turnover, but you can't restrict his instinct in front of goal.

You can't hold that against him, do you not want to be entertained! Very close to going in. Fair enough if he does that somewhere else on the pitch which results in a turnover, but you can't restrict his instinct in front of goal.

It was early in the game, there was an easier option, in this case it might have been a better call (with pressure on team coming into this game) to go for safe option early.

I don't hold it against him, my rule is if you go for it, make the keeper work (i.e. it has to be on target), which he did.

Dele was improved and has tremendous ability, as 'most' of us appreciate.
Dele and Gareth need to get themselves fit above all else.
Though Bale could well be out of our price range for a permanent place. Which makes me think he may not be of good value.

It was early in the game, there was an easier option, in this case it might have been a better call (with pressure on team coming into this game) to go for safe option early.

I don't hold it against him, my rule is if you go for it, make the keeper work (i.e. it has to be on target), which he did.
That moment created a chance out of nothing. It's what we are crying out for someone who can have a flash of imagination, who can do something that your opponents are not expecting. It's a rare quality in English football and where players have it, our English coaches in particular tend not to encourage.

I can also guarantee that shooting in that position is something any forward would do including Kane and Son. So he should be applauded for that piece of skill not criticised. Focus on the idea rather than the outcome which could be different.

Dele was improved and has tremendous ability, as 'most' of us appreciate.
Dele and Gareth need to get themselves fit above all else.
Though Bale could well be out of our price range for a permanent place. Which makes me think he may not be of good value.

Best scenario for Bale was always - he performs well enough this season for us to take up the 2nd year loan option

I really don't see him playing at top level beyond that unless he really rediscovers a hunger/love for the game

Best scenario for Bale was always - he performs well enough this season for us to take up the 2nd year loan option

I really don't see him playing at top level beyond that unless he really rediscovers a hunger/love for the game

My vote sell Steven B and 'maybe' help fund Bale (if the sums add up)?

PS Gareth's fitness still makes me uneasy.

i don't think he tried to nutmeg the keeper he just tried to shoot, which he was well within his rights to do. We saw in the Plovdiv game that having a hand in multiple goals doesn't seem to count for much so he probably thought best to try and get on the scoresheet.
That's right. Replaying in slo-mo you see his shot just catch the outstretched heel of a defender which deflects it between the the keepers legs.

Back