• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I see this story about Grealish and Levy not agreeing a deal is still floating around, he agreed a deal for 25 million with the then owners. It was only after that deal had been accepted that the new owners came in and put a block on it saying no deals until the take over was completed ( for any players) if there was they threated to pull out of the deal.

Once the new owners took charge they doubled the fee that had already been agreed and it never went further.
Levy fcuked around for weeks lowballing as Villa were desperate for money, Overplayed his hand. We put our first (stupidly low) bid in for Grealish before Leicester started talking to Norwich about Maddison. Leicester still managed to sign Maddison before Villa’s new investors had even started talking about putting money into Villa. The deal was there to be done nice and early. Our chairman waited, tinkled around with low bids and the chance evaporated as the new investment arrived at Villa.

We even ended up bidding £35m on deadline day. Only Levy knows why a player is worth £35m on deadline day but not £25m on day 1 of the transfer window?

Last edited:
Naglesmann is an upcoming manager. Still think we need someone with premiership experience.

Don't get the link with Hasenhüttl. Not impressed me at all.

Rodgers, well, he'd be number 1 but we're having an argument right now, and a lot may disagree with me, but we're hardly a step up from Leicester are we? Yes we're a bigger club and a nice shiny stadium, but we're hardly worlds apart. They've also just bought a new training centre i believe? Anyway, it's hardly a bottom half team. Can't see it personally.

Don't get the link with Hasenhüttl. Not impressed me at all.

Rodgers, well, he'd be number 1 but we're having an argument right now, and a lot may disagree with me, but we're hardly a step up from Leicester are we? Yes we're a bigger club and a nice shiny stadium, but we're hardly worlds apart. They've also just bought a new training centre I believe? Anyway, it's hardly a bottom half team. Can't see it personally.

Southampton have punched above their weight but have had a few injuries of late which like quite a few team's has takes the edge off their recent games.
Rodgers would my first choice

What is truly stressing me is the thought of Mourinho's reaction to letting in 5 goals:eek:
8 at the back?

Last edited:
Levy fcuked around for weeks lowballing as Villa were desperate for money, Overplayed his hand. We put our first (stupidly low) bid in for Grealish before Leicester started talking to Norwich about Maddison. Leicester still managed to sign Maddison before Villa’s new investors had even started talking about putting money into Villa. The deal was there to be done nice and early. Our chairman waited, tinkled around with low bids and the chance evaporated as the new investment arrived at Villa.

We even ended up bidding £35m on deadline day. Only Levy knows why a player is worth £35m on deadline day but not £25m on day 1 of the transfer window?

Until we upgrade on half of this squad, and stop fannying around as described in the post quoted above, we are trapped in football’s version of Groundhog Day - no matter who is in charge.

The last couple of games and his general demeanour suggest to me that the camp is not yet mutinous and that Jose can still get a reaction out of them. I think Levy will be concerned by the overall showings this year though.

Until we upgrade on half of this squad, and stop fannying around as described in the post quoted above, we are trapped in football’s version of Groundhog Day - no matter who is in charge.

It feels pretty similar to the end of AVB into Sherwood. Poch came in and sorted it quite quickly. I think the right manager could do similar, especially with two of the worlds best attackers.

Feels pretty similar to when Poch took over IMO

Ultimately he did fix it and relatively quickly if you consider the progress we made from Spring 2014 over an 18 month period through to Autumn of 2015. However, that's easier to reflect on in hindsight and its often easy to forget that there were some really painful moments in Poch's first season - remember that first part of the season when we lost at home to West Brom and Stoke and laboured to a draw with Palace?

We then had a fantastic mid-season which included the wins over Chelsea and Woolwich and the emergence of Kane. But towards the end of the season, after the excitement of the League Cup Final we lost at home to Villa and then got thumped at Stoke. At those moments it was very hard to predict the incredible journey we were about to go on.

It's further evidence of the need to step back out of the here and now and try to view things through a wider lens.

Ultimately he did fix it and relatively quickly if you consider the progress we made from Spring 2014 over an 18 month period through to Autumn of 2015. However, that's easier to reflect on in hindsight and its often easy to forget that there were some really painful moments in Poch's first season - remember that first part of the season when we lost at home to West Brom and Stoke and laboured to a draw with Palace?

We then had a fantastic mid-season which included the wins over Chelsea and Woolwich and the emergence of Kane. But towards the end of the season, after the excitement of the League Cup Final we lost at home to Villa and then got thumped at Stoke. At those moments it was very hard to predict the incredible journey we were about to go on.

It's further evidence of the need to step back out of the here and now and try to view things through a wider lens.
He also had to manage the exit of some big name players who didn’t get with the programme, even after he made them vice captain... (ade, Kanboul and Lennon)
But your comment about seeing things through a wider lens is so key

He also had to manage the exit of some big name players who didn’t get with the programme, even after he made them vice captain... (ade, Kanboul and Lennon)

Yep this is definitely one of those intangibles its hard to quantify - Poch also had the issue that his profile and reputation was nothing like it was by the time he left - you've listed some high profile players who I imagine had dominant personalities.
There are actually many similarities - the need to move some high profile players who were either too old, not performing and had visibly downed tools which created a malaise of indifference towards the 'project'.

Can't see us changing half this squad, too costly in the current and coming financial difficulties.

Yep this is definitely one of those intangibles its hard to quantify - Poch also had the issue that his profile and reputation was nothing like it was by the time he left - you've listed some high profile players who I imagine had dominant personalities.
There are actually many similarities - the need to move some high profile players who were either too old, not performing and had visibly downed tools which created a malaise of indifference towards the 'project'.
The big difference is expectation and hunger for change

Back