• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

In fact Levy should be working very hard to install this partnership for the summer and should only shelve the idea if mourinho manages to last the season and deliver minimum two trophies in the process.

I disagree, Jose is the ultimate short term manager. If he wins EL and another cup we should thank for getting the monkey of our back and CL football and show him the door.
Go out at the top, it will only get worse.
Not that I can see us winning two cups, but you live in hope.

My view is that Mourinho isn't going to be successful at Spurs - he's heading in the direction which his stints at Man U and Chelsea have taken. Squabbling with players, strops in the media (his comments to that female interviewer the other day were grossly unacceptable), performances getting ever worse and the team being painful to watch (George Graham's teams were more interesting - at least they had a plan).

Therefore if he's going to end up being sacked at some point in, say, the next 12-18 months we're better off shifting him sooner and then re-building under a next manager.

I've never wanted Spurs to do anything other than win before. Today, I'm completely ambivalent - a win is a win for Spurs; anything else moves Mourinho one step closer to the door.

I was open to him when he arrived; I accepted that the football wouldnt be great but that would be ok if we were going to be top 4 and regular contenders for trophies. We're completely directionless with the ball at the moment and play cowardly defensive football. Jose blames the team for sitting back and says that it isnt his instruction; if thats the case, why isnt he out screaming at players to push up?

If Jose stays the atmosphere at the games when fans are back will be toxic and we'll drift ever lower, taking the image of the club with it. Perhaps my ambitions for Spurs are higher htan some peoples? I don't want us to finish 6th-10th playing dull football. We need a change and I think probably around 50% of Spurs fan think similarly

I don't know whether this is really needed or not, but it goes without saying that you're entitled to write whatever you want. These days, it seems that people who talk about freedom of speech all day long are of the 'less is more' school of thought. I, for one, think it's healthy that everyone is allowed to state their frame of minde.

The counterpart of that is that I felt free to tell you I was disappointed with your stance but it doesn't go any further than that. Having read a couple of threads pretty thoroughly over the past week or so, I understand where you come from. Now, if you want a slightly more controversial opinion, I think you've reached the point where, if Mourinho was walking on water, you'd say 'I bet he can't swim' ;)

Now, if you want a slightly more controversial opinion, I think you've reached the point where, if Mourinho was walking on water, you'd say 'I bet he can't swim' ;)

Not really! The footballing equivalent of walking on water is getting top 4 regularly and success - I've always said that he'd be tolerated if he did that despite the type of football and baggage which he brings, and I still think that is true. However I think we're moving further away from top 4 standard under Mourinho given we don't have an engrained system, we surrender position and don't have any real attacking plan. As a result, I think its only a matter of time before he goes, so would prefer it sooner. Let's see what happens

As a result, I think its only a matter of time before he goes, so would prefer it sooner.

Alas, isn't that true for all of us?

On a more serious note, I'd say the footballing equivalent of walking on water would be winning the Premier League but that's splitting hair. He's probably safe for the rest of the month now, unless something catastrophic happens so, as you say, let's see what happens.

and it's to his credit

I think you’ll find that Liverpool made quite a lot of money out of Coutinho enabling them to buy players like VVD to massively upgrade on their squad and of course they won the PL and CL

so how was that “to his credit “?

I think you’ll find that Liverpool made quite a lot of money out of Coutinho enabling them to buy players like VVD to massively upgrade on their squad and of course they won the PL and CL

so how was that “to his credit “?

we wouldn't have been in that money laundering chain, we'd have ended up with the player, and the player is brick

Depressing that people think this

I suppose it depends on how you class. ‘Failing’

I didn’t want Poch in the first place because he hadn’t looked like winning anything but as I’m Spurs and have been since the early 60s so I always get behind the manager until it’s impossible
I warmed to Poch though and he gave us two good years before the wheels came off
I say failure because even with an excellent side he never came close to actually winning anything

Domestic cups he didn’t take seriously and somehow managed to finish 3rd in an alleged two horse race!

But for me although excuses can be made as to whether he was backed by Levy or not the defining moment was when he threatened to resign just before the biggest game in our history and then didn’t travel back with his beaten demoralised side
It could only end one way after that and the subsequent form of the following season

Levy should have pulled the trigger that Summer because he failed

Jose needs to be given until the end of the season despite the witch hunt already in progress

we wouldn't have been in that money laundering chain, we'd have ended up with the player, and the player is brick

How do you know that?

Pure speculation

Liverpool did very well out of the player and that’s my point whether he’s brick or not

I didn’t want Poch in the first place because he hadn’t looked like winning anything but as I’m Spurs and have been since the early 60s so I always get behind the manager until it’s impossible
I warmed to Poch though and he gave us two good years before the wheels came off
I say failure because even with an excellent side he never came close to actually winning anything

Domestic cups he didn’t take seriously and somehow managed to finish 3rd in an alleged two horse race!

But for me although excuses can be made as to whether he was backed by Levy or not the defining moment was when he threatened to resign just before the biggest game in our history and then didn’t travel back with his beaten demoralised side
It could only end one way after that and the subsequent form of the following season

Jose needs to be given until the end of the season despite the witch hunt already in progress

I like the Poch bit and totally agree there. I think though getting to the simi of CL is classed as ‘close’.
But Mourinho is not for me. Far too divisive and this defensive overkill is not necessary as we saw yesterday.

Alas, isn't that true for all of us?

On a more serious note, I'd say the footballing equivalent of walking on water would be winning the Premier League but that's splitting hair. He's probably safe for the rest of the month now, unless something catastrophic happens so, as you say, let's see what happens.

Most of the month yep; there more telling games were never West Brom, Wolfsburger or Emirates Marketing Project (first two they were always going to sit back, and vs City its justifiable to sit back), its Everton and West Ham

I like the Poch bit and totally agree there. I think though getting to the simi of CL is classed as ‘close’.
But Mourinho is not for me. Far too divisive and this defensive overkill is not necessary as we saw yesterday.

Yes I get what you say about Jose

Even though we had a good first half it wasn’t great to watch second half

Of course he will make the point that why expend more effort than necessary given that we have Everton on Wednesday and City at the weekend which is a fair one

If we get past Everton and get a point at City then it will be justified

Yes I get what you say about Jose

Even though we had a good first half it wasn’t great to watch second half

Of course he will make the point that why expend more effort than necessary given that we have Everton on Wednesday and City at the weekend which is a fair one

If we get past Everton and get a point at City then it will be justified

Its still to early for that do or die game, Everton are playing amazingly well under Ancelotti but we seem to have an indian sign over them bar the opener this season. We also seem to play well against City. The minimum i expect is a decent performance and executing a well thought out game plan. If we do that then we have a chance against most teams.

We came 2nd twice and runners up in two (?) cups, I'd say that's that's close to winning something but maybe you have a different way of measuring things.

But regardless, CL football was a higher priority for the club in the pre-stadium years than domestic cups - widely reported the target set to him by Levy was to deliver CL qualification by the time we moved in to the stadium and not only did smash that target 4 years early he nearly won the whole thing by the time we moved in. But hey didn't win a league cup so he's a failure, right?

I generally make a mental note to dismiss people who continue to take what he said in the build up the final seriously - obviously a cack handed "how can i top this?!" statement, but you're new here so I'll cut you some slack - but come on use some common sense.

Last edited:
I generally make a mental note to dismiss people who continue to take what he said in the build up the final seriously - obviously a cack handed "how can i top this?!" statement, but you're new here so I'll cut you some slack - but come on use some common sense.

Sadly Poch was let down by English not being his first language. This was then used by the press to then beat him with.
I now hope most Spurs fans finally understand.

2 good years? He gave us our best run of league finishes since the 60s, got us top 4 in his last 4 seasons. Remember how desperate we were for that under Jol and Harry. Remember how elated we were in 2010 when we finally got there. Well Poch made it a regular occurrence.

He also got us to the CL final. I never thought I’d see Spurs in the CL 20 years ago let alone the final.

The wheels came off at the end for a host of reasons but Poch, by any reasonable and balanced measurement, was our best manager for at least 30 years.

We came 2nd twice and runners up in two (?) cups, I'd say that's that's close to winning something but maybe you have a different way of measuring things.

But regardless, CL football was a higher priority for the club in the pre-stadium years than domestic cups - widely reported the target set to him by Levy his to deliver CL qualification by the time we moved in to the stadium and not only did smash that target 4 years early he nearly won the whole thing by the time we moved in. But hey didn't win a league cup so he's a failure, right?

Pochettino overachieved at spurs and we should never have even been in some of the finals and semis we found ourselves in. However, there were great opportunities that we squandered to really leave no question about Pochettinos tenure. Ultimately he failed Levy, but due to circumstances with the stadium rebuild and Levy being Levy, Levys failure towards Pochettino was greater still. Pochettinos last year was full of weird interviews, subtle quips and undertones of threatening to leave. I dont know the inside conversations between Levy and Pochettino, but by the end of it all, Pochettino cut a very frustrated figure that translated onto the pitch and players looking to leave, and not signing contracts. The internal rifts within the team and lack of commitment by some of the players washed the team and ultimately Pochettino was probably somewhat relieved to be out and needed a break to analyze and reinvent himself.

The recruitment during Pochettinos reign was generally shockingly poor, who do we look at for that?

Like I say, life and football are always about learning from previous and moving forward, the common denominator is Levy I'm afraid. He really needs to evaluate his conclusions for matters on the pitch. He is flawless with matters off the pitch that much I can say, and he is really in his own league when it comes to such matters.

I sincerely hope Levy trusts his managers a lot more and delivers for them in full, rather than putting his own appointments under unnecessary pressure and without meddling too much.
This does not mean signing Neymar, Mbappe etc, it just means to back to deliver the game changers on the pitch rather than getting a hard-on for average squad fillers.

Personally, I think we have enough talent coming through our academy for roles to fill the squad, and if supplemented with the likes of targets that we have historically wanted, then i see no reasons to excuse the manager, Levy, and the board.

There is something great happening at spurs in terms of finance, and it's now up to Levy to deliver also. I have no doubt he can do better, and now with the stadium, he really does not have an excuse, where previously it was 100% right that our infrastructure had to be right to compete with the big boys. I believe Levy used this as a way of backing up his decisions and mentioned that the stadium will make us competitive in the market.

Lets see what happens after things have settled.

But regardless, CL football was a higher priority for the club in the pre-stadium years than domestic cups - widely reported the target set to him by Levy was to deliver CL qualification by the time we moved in to the stadium and not only did smash that target 4 years early he nearly won the whole thing by the time we moved in. But hey didn't win a league cup so he's a failure, right?

We finished 5th 3rd 2nd 3rd and 4th
We didn’t finish 2nd twice
Should have but we didn’t

He wasn’t a failure because he didn’t win the League Cup

He was a failure because he didn’t win anything with us, Saints or Espanyol but he has broke his duck
with PSG
There’s a surprise!

You could argue that getting to a final was close but we never looked like winning it
And I still maintain that he should not have said anything until after the CL final

I agree that qualifying for the CL takes priority but I still think we should have won something with the side we had
Nobody remembers losers

Yes I suppose that I am relatively new on here but can’t see what that has to do with anything as I’ve been a Spurs fan since the early 60s which qualifies me to have an opinion more than being on a particular Forum surely!
In any case I’ve been posting on Forums similar to this one for over ten years

A Forum is surely about opinions
That seems to be the whole point so I should still be able to post an opinion on here even if it differs to yours?

Very surprised at your remark about cutting me some slack because a) It’s different to yours and b) because I haven’t been on the Forum long!

I don’t agree with you saying that Poch was just making some ‘cack handed’ comment leading up to the CL final either but respect your right to make it

Anyway rant over and hopeful of a win on Wednesday
COYS

Pochettino overachieved at spurs and we should never have even been in some of the finals and semis we found ourselves in. However, there were great opportunities that we squandered to really leave no question about Pochettinos tenure. Ultimately he failed Levy, but due to circumstances with the stadium rebuild and Levy being Levy, Levys failure towards Pochettino was greater still. Pochettinos last year was full of weird interviews, subtle quips and undertones of threatening to leave. I dont know the inside conversations between Levy and Pochettino, but by the end of it all, Pochettino cut a very frustrated figure that translated onto the pitch and players looking to leave, and not signing contracts. The internal rifts within the team and lack of commitment by some of the players washed the team and ultimately Pochettino was probably somewhat relieved to be out and needed a break to analyze and reinvent himself.

The recruitment during Pochettinos reign was generally shockingly poor, who do we look at for that?

Like I say, life and football are always about learning from previous and moving forward, the common denominator is Levy I'm afraid. He really needs to evaluate his conclusions for matters on the pitch. He is flawless with matters off the pitch that much I can say, and he is really in his own league when it comes to such matters.

I sincerely hope Levy trusts his managers a lot more and delivers for them in full, rather than putting his own appointments under unnecessary pressure and without meddling too much.
This does not mean signing Neymar, Mbappe etc, it just means to back to deliver the game changers on the pitch rather than getting a hard-on for average squad fillers.

Personally, I think we have enough talent coming through our academy for roles to fill the squad, and if supplemented with the likes of targets that we have historically wanted, then i see no reasons to excuse the manager, Levy, and the board.

There is something great happening at spurs in terms of finance, and it's now up to Levy to deliver also. I have no doubt he can do better, and now with the stadium, he really does not have an excuse, where previously it was 400% right that our infrastructure had to be right to compete with the big boys. I believe Levy used this as a way of backing up his decisions and mentioned that the stadium will make us competitive in the market.

Lets see what happens after things have settled.

As I recall Poch wasn’t keen on a DOF but Jose can work with one so maybe the way to go

Would have liked to have seen more of Scarlett yesterday and can’t really see the point of coming on for just a couple of minutes when the game was all but won

Wijnaldum turned us down after speaking to Poch
We actually never met either Saudi Sportswashing Machine's transfer terms or Wijnaldum's pay terms.

The player was given permission by Saudi Sportswashing Machine to talk to us and Liverpool prior to the payment structure being agreed with Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Liverpool then met Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Wijnaldum's payment terms and he went there.

Back