• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

We had a great time under Poch for sure but we did let ourselves down when the crunch came, not putting all the blame on Poch but we did lack the winning meteorology in the real big games and that was down to the players and Poch.

We had more big games/significant games under him than any manager of the last two decades plus; Redknapp is the only one who got close!

We had more big games/significant games under him than any manager of the last two decades plus; Redknapp is the only one who got close!

So if we had more crunch games under a certain manager does that not mean he had more chance of winning those crunch games then other managers we had?. Or am i missing you point?

Yes, I could. But so could you if you looked through. The Emirates Marketing Project CL QF for a start...but tell you what, if you really want to go here, let's head to the Poch thread.

Ok let's list the big games in that thread. First of all establish what a big game is so we have consistency on that point.

My point. To make it much more glaring.

Was it? I thought you were trying to say that if you adjust for inflation it makes it look like Mourinho had less to spend in relation to Poch - glad we're both in agreement that isn't the case

I see this comment a lot about Mourinho being backed as if he has bought in a load of galacticos. The window we had was massively over hyped due to the Bale loan signing - Mourinho got Reguilon for twenty something million, and beyond that? Hojberg didn’t cost much, and the rest have been squad fillers either on loan or for insignificant amounts. Poch had NDombele cost 50m plus, Sanchez around 40, Lo Celso wasn’t cheap etc so how exactly has Mourinho been backed so much more?

I agree and also think Mourinho does want the same in terms of better football - we do it in periods but not for whole games, partly I don’t doubt by design but the team aren’t fully playing as he truly wants. It also doesn’t help that Lo Celso and NDombele are never fully fit at the same time - the CM options are devoid of creativity and now NDombele is fully match fit if we could get Lo Celso back to fitness we would automatically have more creativity without having to really change anything.....

In terms of identifying positions in the team and going out there and getting those players Jose has been backed more than Poch so far. We wanted a CB, a backup CF, a DM, a left back and we got all of them plus a new right back who i suspect was meant to be first choice but Aurier has upped his game and cut down on the rash mistakes. Poch was backed more towards the end and I accept he was a bit too picky if you consider we signed no one for two straight windows but If you’re asking me if they have been backed the same I would say no.

I think if your point overall was big match choking -and it embraced the last 12-15 years, it'd be hard to disagree. But you only mentioned Poch, who won MORE big matches than anyone I remember in recent times. We just looked back on 2017 in the pod - the man was horribly unlucky.

We were talking about Alli and the greater context of the last few years which Poch was the manager for a large part of. All Spurs managers choked in big games but Poch IMO had the most balanced squad of any spurs manager in recent times. Maybe it was his relative inexperience (although I’m not entirely sure as he is 48 now which is not young for a manager) which led to him making weird decisions in big games. Personally I think he overcomplicated things, playing top players out of position. Also think he froze and wasn’t proactive enough with subs. I read his book and cringed at his comments about subs. It’s clear he has a problem using them. Hence why he typically left it to 70 mins before using them.

On the flip side I agree fully we had a better record against the top teams than we did with any other spurs manager in modern times. He did well against teams like Emirates Marketing Project when he was at Soton as well.

Rather than replying to questions about our former manager any further here, might I be as bold as to suggest that there is a thread for him, and if anyone wants to engage in that discussion part 324, I'll meet them over there? Thanks!

Nah unfortunately he tried a layoff with the outside of his boot so can never play again.
Ah yes, I forgot how they immediately (40 seconds) scored straight away after he gave the ball away. He really should've passed it 30 yards backwards to one of our 5 defenders.

Back