• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

I was of the opinion that he'd stay there another season but the more i think about it the more a HG player coming in to the squad next season for free will likely be appealing in the current climate.

I was of the opinion that he'd stay there another season but the more i think about it the more a HG player coming in to the squad next season for free will likely be appealing in the current climate.
And he looks to have grown massively as a player this season which can only benefit us

... then at 22 with him having two full seasons of games, including one at PL level, he could fit into our midfield easily.
As someone who has also been mighty impressed with him from Day 1 (see my OP) nothing would delight me more!

But we all know what can happen, even with the brightest of young talents. Think Alex Pritchard, Marcus Edwards, Tasha Oakley-Boothe, Luke Amos, Andros Townsend et al. You can be sure the minute Skipp has a stinker in a Spurs shirt those fans who are getting over-excited right now will waste no time turning on him big time.

Hence I repeat, we probably need to dampen our excitement somewhat.

As someone who has also been mighty impressed with him from Day 1 (see my OP) nothing would delight me more!

But we all know what can happen, even with the brightest of young talents. Think Alex Pritchard, Marcus Edwards, Tasha Oakley-Boothe, Luke Amos, Andros Townsend et al. You can be sure the minute Skipp has a stinker in a Spurs shirt those fans who are getting over-excited right now will waste no time turning on him big time.

It's a fair warning, but none of those to my recollection had played 26 games in a row for a top of championship club having just turned 20 (took a look, Townsend had one season early on loan with 26 total, Skipp will double that this season)

Lets give him time, but why not?

Ideally he'll be better off staying for another year at Norwich to experience the step up to the prem with a winning bunch of team mates. But it really do depend on our circumstances regarding HG quota, finances for players and priority positions for upgrades. All of which could see him staying with us.

It's a fair warning, but none of those to my recollection had played 26 games in a row for a top of championship club having just turned 20 (took a look, Townsend had one season early on loan with 26 total, Skipp will double that this season)

Lets give him time, but why not?
Actually, I think Pritchard did. IIRC, he was on loan to Brentford for their first season in the Championship -- he was one of their key players as they finished in the play-off places. He even got in the Championship team of the season. I was very excited about his prospects back at the Lane.

Also coming to the Lane that season was some lad called Dele Alli who'd made it into the Div 1 team of the season. I wasn't alone in expecting him to be below Pritchard in the pecking order. Instead, I think Pritchard got injured, Dele hit the ground flying, and the rest is history.

Pritchard had also had a solid season-long with Swindon Town the season before that.

I'm expecting Skipp to go one better and make it with Spurs. However, there's a lot that can happen between now and then. We've been lucky to have some world class CMs over the last decade, so it's a tough crowd to please. It's always Modric this and Eriksen that.

Just playing devils advocate but perhaps skipp like other lauded academy players before him, has found his level.

I dont want to put pressure on him but he seems like a bigger robust version of winks, in that he plays it simple and safe, nothing spectacular or the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

I would really like to see him push on and not just put in good performances in the championship.

Would be great for him to work closely with PEH, get the right mentality to push himself to the limits all the time.

So far he looks like he does all the basic things really well and that's a start. Would like to see him score some goals and assist also, really put his stamp on games.

Just playing devils advocate but perhaps skipp like other lauded academy players before him, has found his level.

I dont want to put pressure on him but he seems like a bigger robust version of winks, in that he plays it simple and safe, nothing spectacular or the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

I would really like to see him push on and not just put in good performances in the championship.

Would be great for him to work closely with PEH, get the right meteorology to push himself to the limits all the time.

So far he looks like he does all the basic things really well and that's a start. Would like to see him score some goals and assist also, really put his stamp on games.
A lot of people seem pretty keen to lob Winks comparisons at him and I can understand this from a with the ball perspective. However, one thing that has been consistently called out by his current teammates is his nack of being in the right place at the right team to help out defensively, which feels like a big step on from Winks.

It would also potentially enable Hodge to play a bit further up and help us to win the ball back higher up the pitch if he could screen us effectively. Just a thought.

Ideally he'll be better off staying for another year at Norwich to experience the step up to the prem with a winning bunch of team mates. But it really do depend on our circumstances regarding HG quota, finances for players and priority positions for upgrades. All of which could see him staying with us.

One position where we're struggling with being able to rest our first choice players this year is in PEH's position. Having Skipp would be a GHod-send and I think he'd also learn as much playing in a good team as he would playing in a Norwich teams which is struggling to stay up

See how the second half of the season goes at Norwich - if he's consistent or has a dip and recovers, then put him in the squad next year.
Give him chances - if he's ready he'll step up, if not he can have another development loan for the second half of next season..

Sadly, so have most people. Another one who didn't quite make it right to the top. Still, he'll hopefully forge a solid lower-Prem / Championship career.
The margins between where he is now and PL top 6 are so fine.
Solid championship career - that's pretty good going.

Would be great for him to work closely with PEH, get the right meteorology to push himself to the limits all the time.

I get that you're advocating for a position you don't necessarily hold, but I think at 20 for a deep midfielder is a very early age to start talking about someone finding their level. His first season of regular football too, to be an automatic starter for a league topping Norwich is good going.

I don't think goals and assists will be a big part of his game. It's holding him up to a standard it's going to be extremely difficult to live up to.

Will have to keep developing and get better, but all signs point towards a very good young pro that's likely to do just that.

I get that you're advocating for a position you don't necessarily hold, but I think at 20 for a deep midfielder is a very early age to start talking about someone finding their level. His first season of regular football too, to be an automatic starter for a league topping Norwich is good going.

I don't think goals and assists will be a big part of his game. It's holding him up to a standard it's going to be extremely difficult to live up to.

Will have to keep developing and get better, but all signs point towards a very good young pro that's likely to do just that.
Goals and assists are rarely part of any deep midfielders game. There isn’t one out there that does it yet strangely people pull out midfielders who play there for us, up on it

Goals and assists are rarely part of any deep midfielders game. There isn’t one out there that does it yet strangely people pull out midfielders who play there for us, up on it
There are some, though I think usually that's mostly from set pieces.

There are some with great long shooting ability that can get a small handful in a season. Rarely more than that, can make a difference of course, but very rare that they are also great in the other aspects of the game.

There are some that can play deeper, but often with a more roaming role, and can play further forward thus getting more goals. So they can be seen as scoring more goals than they actually would from a deep midfield role.

There are some, though I think usually that's mostly from set pieces.

There are some with great long shooting ability that can get a small handful in a season. Rarely more than that, can make a difference of course, but very rare that they are also great in the other aspects of the game.

There are some that can play deeper, but often with a more roaming role, and can play further forward thus getting more goals. So they can be seen as scoring more goals than they actually would from a deep midfield role.
I can’t think of any TBH. Not in the world game currently
It’s just not how that role works now
Especially with more teams playing with only one striker
Doesn’t mean they don’t get the odd one as you say but it’s an odd measure for a DM

Back