• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European and Global Super League Plans

I admit to feeling the same. The visceral anger at being excluded is not there.

I think it would get dull pretty quickly. The Champions League games against the elite of the game are special occasions, which will be lost if they are regular. I don't think increasing the number of Old Firm games in Scotland has made them more special.

I admit to feeling the same. The visceral anger at being excluded is not there.

I think it would get dull pretty quickly. The Champions League games against the elite of the game are special occasions, which will be lost if they are regular. I don't think increasing the number of Old Firm games in Scotland has made them more special.

Thats a fair point.

Although I’d also say that Olsson saying “it would be like a US sport!” isn’t necessarily the burn he intends it to be, a lot of people around the world love the NFL/NBA/MLB etc.

They would need to have some kind of system for swapping teams around.

The latest proposals could easily result in us meeting a minimum of two out of Arsenal, Chelsea, the two Manc clubs and Liverpool six times in a season: twice in one of the 10-team League groups, twice in the knock-out phase and twice in the PL.

And that's assuming we do not also meet in the FA Cup.

On that basis a European Super League would run the risk of eating itself in very short order.

It's all about the money, who cares about the mugs paying at the gate the money is in worldwide audiences who will watch anything if theres a nutter going ape brick on the commentary. I use to look forward to "big European nights" at the lane, but the neverending catalogue of games against teams from countries I've never heard of drainedany excitement I had of attending them. Playing the same clubs more than 2 or 3 times a season is only interesting when you win.

The latest proposals could easily result in us meeting a minimum of two out of Arsenal, Chelsea, the two Manc clubs and Liverpool six times in a season: twice in one of the 10-team League groups, twice in the knock-out phase and twice in the PL.

And that's assuming we do not also meet in the FA Cup.

On that basis a European Super League would run the risk of eating itself in very short order.

I love NFL, my team play around half of their games against the same 3 teams, it's been that way for decades.

Its just another way to make money for all concerned ( ie the big clubs), they did the same with the old European Cup and changed it to the Champs Lge. Now the clubs just want to make even more money.

Greedy Bastards.
Yep, it's about locking the money into the few clubs at the expense of others. It would ultimately make the domestic competitions more predicable too as those few clubs would hover up the talent.

I hope this idea dies on the operating table.

I don't see how any domestic league could agree to teams being in both their league and the Super League.
The teams in the Super League are going to dominate it. PSG would be the only team from France, then Ligue 1 is basically dead if they remain in it.
Nobody can compete with them now, nevermind if they are also getting the money from the Super League.
Even in the Premier League it would mean the top 6 have an even bigger stranglehold with other teams struggling to get close to the top 6.
Domestic football would quickly die unless they are told to do one if they join the Super League.

Think our new stadium might demand we have to be in it.
PL TV money is massive and world wide at the moment, would that still be the case with this league getting all the attention?

This would be boring as fudge after a few seasons.
The CL is boring enough already, with everything arranged in favor of the richest teams already. The whole seeding system should be scrapped! I would like complete random draws.
This would be good. We need more groups of death. But you know, money.

Yep, it's about locking the money into the few clubs at the expense of others. It would ultimately make the domestic competitions more predicable too as those few clubs would hover up the talent.

I hope this idea dies on the operating table.

If it does, the cycle will repeat itself with a new, rehashed proposal in a year or so. The greedy fudges won't give up until they've thoroughly destroyed football as we know it, unfortunately.

If it does, the cycle will repeat itself with a new, rehashed proposal in a year or so. The greedy fudges won't give up until they've thoroughly destroyed football as we know it, unfortunately.
Exactly. Bottomless greed is driving this and it'll keep coming back again and again like bad slasher movie sequels.

We talk about greed but is it not driven, at least in part, by us fans? I always find it ironic when fans urge that Kane, Son, whoever be paid £200k/week, or when Levy is urged to get the cheque book out to bring some big name in.

We are hardly blameless in this, are we!

We talk about greed but is it not driven, at least in part, by us fans? I always find it ironic when fans urge that Kane, Son, whoever be paid £200k/week, or when Levy is urged to get the cheque book out to bring some big name in.

We are hardly blameless in this, are we!
It’s sheers stupidity from fans combined with blind ambition
I’ve argued this for ages. Why should the club be criticised for not over paying wages to players who havent earned it
When you see the money other clubs pay I just think his stupid are they to pay more to get less arguably

It is all about the money, and about greed, time for some self reflection. As others have said

- Even our fans are often "Levy is skint, pay whoever whatever they want, why didn't we buy x player"
- The infiltration of American owners into the sport (they will look for minimizing the risk to their investment as it's often done in US)
- Other European teams are bricking themselves with the EPL success, another 10 years like the previous would leave them unable to compete with top 10 EPL sides, not just top 4.

The part about boring is irrelevant, if you think so, you are the wrong audience, look at the numbers between Barca +Real/other top team vs. the majority of their games.

A European Superleague would be successful, that's why everyone's dismissal/witch hunt of the PL proposal this season without a counter was fudging stupid (how are the lower level teams doing now btw?)

It makes particular sense for us so that if it happens we are part of it. It seems inevitable at some time, at least probable, and who knows how many English clubs will be invited in future versions. We want one involving six, so being on the side of those promoting it makes sense.

Back