• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

What is Englishness?

Well I think it should be able to incorporate many different areas and cultures as we have a long standing history of welcoming other nationals and cultures here.

But I think specifically in this sense you need to think about what riles the metropolitan elite so much. So think mainly about things that would be described as old or specifically white traditions.

Now and again the MP's and civil servants let slip how much they despise it, think the labour politician in essex at the last election who saw the union jack hanging from a house and said "that says it all really"

Hell even on here in the past 6 months we have had posters a few of them tell us that people should hate the British or more specifically the English (as the Welsh and Scots never seem to make mistakes, they also more commonly vote left by coincidence) because of the Empire something that all of us on here were born after it ended.

At the heart of the remoaners criticising of the people who voted to leave a corrupt political union was a sneering hatred of the people of the North and the Midlands. Of all the people I have met and known that voted out all said they did not think the EU treated as fairly and all referenced a sense of fair play.

Now some national characteristics can be played up to. The English stiff upper lip(no one who was her after princess diana died would agree with that) or the rather offensive one of all Irush liking a drink (my wife's family is Irish and a few of them dont drink)

But I know many people who consider a sense of fairness to be an English characteristic and a defining attribute to Englishness. The has been an almost constant campaign to undermine it, notably with people spending 4 years trying to over turn a democratic referendum.

They are all trying to erase history. There’s only Laurence Fox, Lord Sumption, a few Tory backbenchers and Scara left.

He's already done it, hence his post yesterday, saying my comments were useless without quotes. Unlike him I haven't got time to wade through hundreds of pages of nonsense.

Well I think it should be able to incorporate many different areas and cultures as we have a long standing history of welcoming other nationals and cultures here.

But I think specifically in this sense you need to think about what riles the metropolitan elite so much. So think mainly about things that would be described as old or specifically white traditions.

Now and again the MP's and civil servants let slip how much they despise it, think the labour politician in essex at the last election who saw the union jack hanging from a house and said "that says it all really"

Hell even on here in the past 6 months we have had posters a few of them tell us that people should hate the British or more specifically the English (as the Welsh and Scots never seem to make mistakes, they also more commonly vote left by coincidence) because of the Empire something that all of us on here were born after it ended.

At the heart of the remoaners criticising of the people who voted to leave a corrupt political union was a sneering hatred of the people of the North and the Midlands. Of all the people I have met and known that voted out all said they did not think the EU treated as fairly and all referenced a sense of fair play.

Now some national characteristics can be played up to. The English stiff upper lip(no one who was her after princess diana died would agree with that) or the rather offensive one of all Irush liking a drink (my wife's family is Irish and a few of them dont drink)

But I know many people who consider a sense of fairness to be an English characteristic and a defining attribute to Englishness. The has been an almost constant campaign to undermine it, notably with people spending 4 years trying to over turn a democratic referendum.

Alot to digest there but if someone chose to feel like that, surely that is their prerogative, right?

is this a lefty echo chamber?

or is this government so far to the right that liberals like me look like lefties?

I'm as far from these fudgers as I am from Corbyn

I put it down to having 12 years of a conservative government. It was the same in America with a Republican president. He was a mental idiot president but issues such as race relations were not as widespread under the previous democratic president.

The left are certainly good at whipping up a frenzy in the press. The is plenty to criticise this government for particularly over its handling of the covid pandemic.

For any side of the political spectrum to be in opposition for so long you can expect it's followers to become ever more vocal.

The country feels to me much like it did in 1996 at the end of that tory government. Change will come.

My political agenda is that I think that the government has continually fudged up with covid. And on the face of it the vaccine roll out has been going well but they have decided to gamble on the efficacy of single dose... with their track record during this pandemic I would have preferred them to be more risk adverse... and dare I say it more conservative.
I genuinely believe that the JCVI have developed this strategy based on sound immunological principles. It is a gamble of course but one borne out of necessity . As I have said we have to vaccinate as many people as we can because due to the shambolic government infection control strategy, the vaccine is all we have. It suits the government of course because it enables them to reduce the strategy to a numbers game. A numbers game is easy because it doesn’t require difficult decisions something that the government fail at repeatedly. If you are Australia, South Korea or New Zealand you don’t need to be so desperate to roll out the vaccine, as important as it is for them too, because your other measures are bringing your numbers are under control.

Mercifully those who’ve been immunised / infected appear to still be protected from current mutations by T-cell response; so the decision to give 24 million people 82% protection over the next 3 months does seem preferable to having half of them with 95% but leaving the other 12 million with no immunity and thus continuing to be ripe breeding ground for the coronavirus to mutate further.

I agree that this government’s response has been an utter shambles but this decision does make sense to me based upon the data available.

But what about if the efficacy of the first dose wains over a period of time without the second dose?

Has that been checked?

If it does wain without the second dose then we could see a scenario where we could be heading into a far worse scenario than we have now.

Back