• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

TalkRadio, Spectator, all continually damaging the UK with people like her, Toby Young etc. Absolute fudgewits but given air time, chucked on to BBC to espouse their views, never mind their views again and again are proved wrong, "we need balance so get them in again".

Wait til we get the 2 new right wing news channels, will just exacerbate these fudgewits further and dumb down the population more.

Thank you. That is relevant but does still leave room for the virus to mutate in to a vaccine resistant strain.
Mercifully those who’ve been immunised / infected appear to still be protected from current mutations by T-cell response; so the decision to give 24 million people 82% protection over the next 3 months does seem preferable to having half of them with 95% but leaving the other 12 million with no immunity and thus continuing to be ripe breeding ground for the coronavirus to mutate further.

I agree that this government’s response has been an utter shambles but this decision does make sense to me based upon the data available.

We could have had a zero Covid policy if we had a competent govt. What we have now is the worst of everything bar an exceptional roll out program mostly based on a good gamble on the AZ vaccine.

You saying we couldn't achieve it is just you saying it. We never tried. Not even close.
Given that so many people aren't sticking to the fairly lax rules we currently have, do you honestly think they would have stuck to much harsher ones without serious encroachment on civil liberties?

Everything we're seeing suggests otherwise.

Mercifully those who’ve been immunised / infected appear to still be protected from current mutations by T-cell response; so the decision to give 24 million people 82% protection over the next 3 months does seem preferable to having half of them with 95% but leaving the other 12 million with no immunity and thus continuing to be ripe breeding ground for the coronavirus to mutate further.

I agree that this government’s response has been an utter shambles but this decision does make sense to me based upon the data available.

massive worry that.

My political agenda is that I think that the government has continually fudged up with covid. And on the face of it the vaccine roll out has been going well but they have decided to gamble on the efficacy of single dose... with their track record during this pandemic I would have preferred them to be more risk adverse... and dare I say it more conservative.

I was under the impression the government hadn't decided this at all, it was a recommendation from the MHRA and the government implemented it. That's far different from BoJo waking up one morning and deciding to space out the doses.

Given that so many people aren't sticking to the fairly lax rules we currently have, do you honestly think they would have stuck to much harsher ones without serious encroachment on civil liberties?

Everything we're seeing suggests otherwise.

Yes they would have. The reason they haven't is that we had Cummins and we had ridiculous eat out to help out and we had Xmas has been saved. We took ages to get a test and trace system and all sense of trust had been lost.

The ideas behind zero Covid work when the authority is competent. We are ruled by idiots who might give you a tax break while they kill your Gran.

A properly enforced lockdown policy that saves lives doesn't encroach on your pesky civil liberties BS either. It would have been a set of laws that stopped 1000s of deaths a day.

There have been 18 years since 2003. Other than Branston doing the unthinkable and producing "small chunk" pickle, do you think there have been any other notable developments in both society and science? Y'know, things like fast-tracking our disastrous march into fudging the climate up? My instinct is that there have been a fair few...
There have been many advances, but this is about perspective.

2003 wasn't the dark ages, it wasn't even the 80s. It was a year with a very high quality of life and good life expectancy.

[QUOTE="thfcsteff, post: 1407888, member: 85"
...out of interest, what would you have said about the AIDS crisis? Would you have dismissed the idea of safe-sex as percentage-based "cowering"? Look, just like safe-sex, masks and social distancing cannot ever be implemented with the iron fist you appear to believe exists.[/quote]
If we had all been told to stay indoors and businesses had to close then I would have said the reaction was way over the top.

[QUOTE="thfcsteff, post: 1407888, member: 85"
They are recommendations based on firm scientific/biological information.
MOST people would, I think, trust this information, especially when it revolves around an unknown medical foe. Granted, there will always be David Icke and like-minded folk who believe that all gvmt and scientists who consult with them are reptiles from the planet Zaarg, and there will further be a proportion of people who are simply paranoid about trusting anyone. But the vast majority of people I know are willing to back experts in their field and follow a few simple recommendations. It is not "cowering in the corner.

I still cannot fully grasp your view on COVID. This is what it comes across as:

You believe in people going about their lives as normal.
You believe that if the death rate is largely restricted to the elderly and people with pre- conditions, then you're fine just going on with life.

Again, this is what it feels like you believe. If I have got that wrong, corrections would be appreciated and apologies will ensue.[/QUOTE]
It's close.

I believe that those who fear the virus, especially those with reason to, should keep themselves safe and away from harm. Those that don't and needn't, shouldn't.

Yes they would have. The reason they haven't is that we had Cummins and we had ridiculous eat out to help out and we had Xmas has been saved. We took ages to get a test and trace system and all sense of trust had been lost.

The ideas behind zero Covid work when the authority is competent. We are ruled by idiots who might give you a tax break while they kill your Gran.

A properly enforced lockdown policy that saves lives doesn't encroach on your pesky civil liberties BS either. It would have been a set of laws that stopped 1000s of deaths a day.
Properly enforced lockdown sounds a lot like a lack of liberty to me. As does track and trace.

This place (Random anyway) is very much a lefty echo chamber.

Noticeably a lot of people who think the other way dknt post in threads anymore. Backed up by the private messages I have received on this matter.

I dont mind left wing politics and intend to vote labour but those on here who post in the political and covid threads have a clear agenda that you can tell by their writing, and in the case of several not uk based posters a seething dislike of Englishness.

I post this on the day the dingdonghead Trump leaves office,glad to see the back of him. But think the demonising of his supporters stores up trouble for the future. The constant narrative that the brexit supporters are racist did not effect the vote for a leave oriented party at our last election. Imagine what a right wing nut in America who has a brain cell could do if they got in the White House.

Life saving temporary laws are an acceptable lack of liberty in a pandemic. You've read too much of this libertarian gonad*s and lost of sight of reality here.
I guess that's all down to acceptance of risk.

There's almost nothing I think dangerous enough for businesses to be told to close, for people to be told to stay home, for kids to miss out on a year of education and bonding.

The biggest operational failure is test, trace and isolate. The government bangs on about testing numbers but what’s the point in all the community tests if those with covid or their close contacts don’t isolate themselves? Every problem stems from that. So lockdown after lockdown tries to compensate for the system failure with all the negative consequences that are associated with them. Yet apparently £22 billion has been spent on it.

I guess that's all down to acceptance of risk.

There's almost nothing I think dangerous enough for businesses to be told to close, for people to be told to stay home, for kids to miss out on a year of education and bonding.

If there was a bomb threat at the kids school you would be opposed to them closing. Cool.

Over 1800 deaths reported today, 900 of those happened in the last 24 hours.

This will get worse over the next week or so IMO.

Noticeably a lot of people who think the other way dknt post in threads anymore. Backed up by the private messages I have received on this matter.

I dont mind left wing politics and intend to vote labour but those on here who post in the political and covid threads have a clear agenda that you can tell by their writing, and in the case of several not uk based posters a seething dislike of Englishness.

What is Englishness?

Back