• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory - Podcast Episode 1

We've only saved it in draft form at the moment because we wanted to share it with GG and get feedback from you all before we went fully public. So it can only be accessed on a browser at the moment.

I completely agree on your other points and they are stuff that we are working on.

Great - that makes sense. I was starting to get very annoyed at my acast app as it wouldn't find it!

Of course the great thing about the concept of a Podcast is that anyone, from someone with over 500 appearances as a player to a bar stool preacher down the local can record one.

I've listened to the first 20 minutes now; its hard to comment because the Wolves game seems an ice age ago and the narrative has obviously moved on.

Perhaps there would be some merit in recording a two-weekly or monthly podcast - that could be your USP. With games so thick and fast now each episode - which takes so much time and effort to put together - becomes obsolete if not played before the next match. It would also allow for some measured insight and opinion across a number of matches. I've heard a few podcasts immediately after Wolves game....all were all so negative. I get the feeling that 12 days on there's a bit more perspective about this performance and result.

I also feel as though all the other podcasts ignore the macro climate out there - becoming despondent over drawing at Wolves should be put into perspective of Liverpool drawing with Saudi Sportswashing Machine and WBA, Chelsea losing at Arsenal etc. Maybe a feature on how other PL results affect/impact us would be good. Having an opposing fan on would also be a great addition and add an extra dimension - its such a shame Rule the Roost stopped this feature.

I would imagine the art to building a podcast is not so much getting listeners to their first episode but equally getting them to listen to a second.

Great - that makes sense. I was starting to get very annoyed at my acast app as it wouldn't find it!

Of course the great thing about the concept of a Podcast is that anyone, from someone with over 500 appearances as a player to a bar stool preacher down the local can record one.

I've listened to the first 20 minutes now; its hard to comment because the Wolves game seems an ice age ago and the narrative has obviously moved on.

Perhaps there would be some merit in recording a two-weekly or monthly podcast - that could be your USP. With games so thick and fast now each episode - which takes so much time and effort to put together - becomes obsolete if not played before the next match. It would also allow for some measured insight and opinion across a number of matches. I've heard a few podcasts immediately after Wolves game....all were all so negative. I get the feeling that 12 days on there's a bit more perspective about this performance and result.

I also feel as though all the other podcasts ignore the macro climate out there - becoming despondent over drawing at Wolves should be put into perspective of Liverpool drawing with Saudi Sportswashing Machine and WBA, Chelsea losing at Arsenal etc. Maybe a feature on how other PL results affect/impact us would be good. Having an opposing fan on would also be a great addition and add an extra dimension - its such a shame Rule the Roost stopped this feature.

I would imagine the art to building a podcast is not so much getting listeners to their first episode but equally getting them to listen to a second.

We realised that the conversation had dated pretty quickly but wanted to put it out anyway. We recorded one last weekend but we did a review of 2020 that ended up being quite a long conversation and too long to put out. We'll do one on Sunday and will turn that around quickly.

Looking at other results and how they impact us is a great idea. We'll do that.

A random side note
Who ever mentioned about Jose improving a player ... watch the Netflix doc on him called coaches I think
It’s a great insight into his views and style
Basically he says he can’t improve a player like Lampard, Ronaldo etc... what he can do is improve the team though and there role in that

Nice one lads, would be up for joining in on a future episode sure, do a wrestling podcast on and off so have used a few platforms for recording, Zencastr is a good one, currently doing unlimited guests and recording time due to the pandemic: https://zencastr.com

I spend most of my life listening to Spurs podcasts so having been on this forum on and off since 2004 I'm intrigued to listen and would be very happy to contribute.

However, I cannot find it on Acast via my phone so can only listen through the PC.

Before listening my general feedback is that there are so many Spurs podcasts out there that you need to find some sort of USP - what would make someone want to listen to this rather than Fighting rooster, Last Word on Spurs, Extra Inch, View from the Lane, Hotspurs Podcast etc. I have my usual running order that I listen to after each game - those I will always listen to and some that I will listen to some weeks if I have time and others that I have unsubscribed from.

However, once I've heard 2 or 3 different podcasts discuss the same match and incidents I dont really need to hear a fourth. So, its really important that as a podcast you can do one or more of the following:

1. Provide genuine insight that most of us won't know - this is why I really like 'View from the Lane' as at least one of them is reporting from the game and has attended pre and post match interviews which provides some valuable context.
2. Tell me something I don't already know or have considered - The Extra Inch provides some tactical context and reasoning to what we've just seen. Equally Last Word on Spurs is far poorer for not having Jason McGovern on to provide some slightly off centre but well considered and articulated views.
3. Really well articulated and considered opinions - Extra Inch again. When Rule the Roost is recorded they are excellent communicators and not just applying knee-jerk reactions.
4. Well planned with a clear narrative and flow - The Fighting rooster is really well put together even if some of the content isn't to everyone's taste!
5. Really knowledgable - as someone has mentioned having a fixture list or record of recent games is really important; I had to stop listening to The Spurs Show as it frustrated me how infrequently they knew who the next game was against or whether it was home or away!
6. Good characters and chemistry - this clearly only comes with time but what sets the better pods apart.

Have you defined a purpose? - it is a way of making this forum more dimensional? is it trying to add to what is already out there? There are merits to both of these but probably important to give some thought to.

Will you have the same panellists on each week? If so, listeners will become more familar with each as time goes on - will recognise individual voices etc - it took me a good 12 months to distinguish between the crew on Fighting rooster for example.

All of this is only my opinion so hope its helpful but real credit to you all for putting this together; I'll look forward to listening to more!

When did you stop listening to The Spurs Show? Was it before Phil Cornwell left? If so, I’d advise giving it another go. Like you, I listen to a few Spurs Podcasts. I’d rate The Spurs Show as consistently the best (Mike Leigh and Theo Delaney are both great), followed by View From The Lane, and then Last Word on Spurs.

I started the GG one last night and finished it on a dog walk this afternoon. I thought it was really great as a first effort. It’s probably too long (the same can usually be said for Last Word on Spurs. For me, around 45 minutes is perfect).

My feeling would be that you definitely need an introduction each week - one that clearly links the show to the forum and gives us a bit more of an idea as to who is contributing on a particular show.

I found it wandered a bit - which can be fine, but has been a feature of other Spurs podcasts that I’ve binned off, as they tend to end up sounding a bit like a chat down the pub (too much swearing tends to lead to the same effect). I like The Spurs Show because it’s got a familiar and clearly defined structure: review of the latest fixture(s), some guest input, and then a look ahead to the next game. They’ll also have the odd special - and the first GG pod felt a bit in that sort of territory (it could have been called What Has Mourinho Ever Done For Us?).

I was taken aback a bit by the pretty negative views being expressed on Jose and I didn’t feel they reflected the wide range of opinions expressed about him on these boards, or by Spurs fans more generally. Again, nothing too wrong with that, as it still made for interesting listening, and I appreciate the pod was recorded off the back of a couple of iffy results.

One thing Spurs podcasts don’t do very much of is look back to the club’s history, and it might be good to have a regular feature that did that - 15 minutes each (or every other) week on a classic match, a controversy from the past, or a look at an old player or manager.

Anyhow, I definitely thought it was a good start and I’m looking forward to hearing it develop.

Oh what a night has a good clear format

good, bad, ugly and beautiful of the most recent game

works really well

Spurs show I like but sometimes they just want to rant

I genuinely believe a podcast that has found many negative comments in it will die

I know people crave bad news but not in their ears... there’s enough on TV for that

Last edited:
When did you stop listening to The Spurs Show?
The biggest annoyance for me was about a year ago they kept having guests on who would say "I didn't see the match but I can tell you that..."

So they hadn't even watched the game but still wanted to air their views!

And they were so ignorant of the latest news, like "apparently Spurs are interested in some Danish bloke... oh are they, I haven't heard that... yeah apparently he plays for some team on the south coast... oh, must be Bournemouth, no idea mate, but I have to say that I think BLAHHHH"

I think what you'll see is the chemistry getting ever-better and personalities coming to the fore. Some will be perhaps more emotional (!!! ) some more analytical. I think we want to make this first and foremost an entertaining listen whilst affecting the professionalism necessary not to see it teeter off the rails every 5 mins.

The feedback has been wonderful, hope you come back for the next one and once we'd be established, we would love to revolve some people in and out.

When did you stop listening to The Spurs Show? Was it before Phil Cornwell left? If so, I’d advise giving it another go. Like you, I listen to a few Spurs Podcasts. I’d rate The Spurs Show as consistently the best (Mike Leigh and Theo Delaney are both great), followed by View From The Lane, and then Last Word on Spurs.

One thing Spurs podcasts don’t do very much of is look back to the club’s history, and it might be good to have a regular feature that did that - 15 minutes each (or every other) week on a classic match, a controversy from the past, or a look at an old player or manager.

Good shout...maybe a 'Spurs on this day/week' feature.

Great first effort guys! It’s was lovely to put voices to avatars.

People have certainly covered most of the main constructive points, but just to add a couple of thoughts.

1) It definitely would be good to get some ‘dissenting’ voices to balance things up a bit, but I appreciate that’s hard after a tough game like Wolves and we all care so deeply for this great institution, it might be hard to find a few positives.

2) I also agree about having a USP if you’re serious about growing the audience, as we’ve definitely reached peak podcast. Having said that, for me, it is a genuine delight to hear this (often) wonderful corner of the internet made flesh.

Lastly, I appreciate that there will be many more at the front of the queue, but I’d also be up for coming on if you ever find yourself short after a few test positive in the latest round of testing! My only reservation would be that I’d basically come across as a baritone version of @thfcsteff, as his views expressed on here frequently mirror my own.

Bravo chaps. Onwards!

You'd welcome to join us @DaveT316. We're probably going to let it settle a bit this month and then start bringing in some new people from next month onwards.

You'd welcome to join us @DaveT316. We're probably going to let it settle a bit this month and then start bringing in some new people from next month onwards.
Nice one. See how you go.

What would be great in the next episode would be a bit more of an introduction to you all - what’s your age, where you come from etc etc - and maybe one thing like earliest spurs memory or favourite player you’ve seen or one thing that winds you up about modern football etc. Keep it snappy, but it just helps us invest in you guys individually a bit more.

Just a thought...

Nice one. See how you go.

What would be great in the next episode would be a bit more of an introduction to you all - what’s your age, where you come from etc etc - and maybe one thing like earliest spurs memory or favourite player you’ve seen or one thing that winds you up about modern football etc. Keep it snappy, but it just helps us invest in you guys individually a bit more.

Just a thought...

A fine suggestion and if we don't get to it this week, next week methinks (depending on what the team feel)

Bit late to the party but finally listened to the recording.
I really enjoyed it. I liked the "rambling" nature of the chat and how it naturally moved from one topic to another, exactly as it does when you're talking about football with mates. But... it was too long. An hour max, probably 40-45 mins would be better. People will consume their podcasts differently of course. I used to listen to quite a few when I was commuting every day. Now that it's all work from home I find I've really cut back. But time availability will be a common factor.
And as much as I liked the natural flow of the conversation, I don't think it would work long-term for a podcast. Unless you are going to limit it to a match review (in which case 30 mins is probably more than enough), it needs the structure that comes from a distinct running order with different segments. Finish one (e.g. match review), start the next (inevitably there will be overlaps) - this also gives natural breaks for the listener to stop and then pick up again. It will also save you from running out of material for future pods. e.g. I was thinking you could have an ad-hoc/occasional section where you focused on one player - the good, the bad, what they bring, how they fit in (or not), how they've developed (or not) etc. Then you touched on Dele. Then later talked a lot about Ndombele. Then a lot about Winks. Then a bit about Lo Celso...etc. all good conversations and of course you can't avoid talking about particular players but some of the detailed thoughts you made could be spread across a number of pods.

Given where we are in terms of PL games played, you could do a (high-level) half-season review. It might even lead to a bit more positivity as well. :)
I am far from Mourinho's biggest fan but the negative vibe was a bit strong across the whole hour and a quarter (of course I get it, given when this was recorded and the match under review).
Maybe when everyone is of the same view, someone needs to play a bit more of a devil's advocate role.

As well as introducing each participant at the start (as someone already mentioned) I think it would be helpful to use each other's names a bit more as the conversation moves back and forth. Difficult to do maybe without it sounding shoe-horned in and too much, but it would help with distinguishing the voices.
And a more definitive finish as this one just kind of petered out.

I've just read that back and it sounds a bit negative which certainly wasn't my intention.
It was a good listen, and I'm looking forward to the next one (as long as it's on the back of a win!).

Oh - the other thing I noticed was in the little 'epilogue' at the end, where Steff (?) referred to the forum, I think he said 'gloryglory.co.uk'. Clumsy as it might sound, you need to mention the hyphen between glory and glory.

Back