• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Spurs - Fulham

UK will be in a very good place come the end of Q1 2021 given we're ahead of other countries in terms of vaccinations. 40m of the Astra one by end March alone...

I think that is probably a little optimistic. We might have got a headstart from starting vaccinating in early December but we don't have a good record of delivering big programmes and I think that better run countries could overtake us quite quickly.

I don’t know mate, whilst obviously on a little poor run a home game against Fulham is a good way to start things up again - of course there’s no easy games but on the face of it this is one of the nicer ones. And regardless of our form, I always miss that ride of Spurs playing whether we are useless or not....
Fulham have been in form lately, so I wouldn't have put it past us to get an early goal and concede an equalizer in stoppage time.

I wrote in another thread of the need for players to wear masks even during PL games. And it goes without saying during training and all other team activities. No matter how much you test, the only way to avoid catching the bug is to wear the proper mask properly any time you are in close contact with others, be it your teammates or staff or anyone outside your home bubble. Testing is a tool, but it's not a panacea.

And no, wearing a mask during training and PL games will not cause any issues. The body will get used to it and you will be able to function just fine.

It' unfortunate that we have different matchday from Fulham over the split midweeks in January (we play Villa on 13/1 and they play Man U on 20/1) as that would have provided a simple and instant solution.

Next available date, as discussed, is 10 Feb but this is only available of both of us are out of the FA Cup. Then we are looking at any midweeks that may open up when Europa ties are scheduled.

Despite this fixture headache and the risk of 'kicking the can up the road' I actually think us having this midweek free may be a blessing for us.

I have seen a couple of people speculate about the Euro's being cancelled and with this competition providing a natural roadblock from end May it would seem a logical approach. However, one has to remember the macro football climate and the reliance that the funding this competition provides not only for UEFA but for the 24 participating country's respective FA's - to deny the likes of Wales, Macedonia, Finland this much needed income would be the equivalent of denying Non-league or League 2 clubs FA Cup 3rd round.

Personally, and I'm sure I am not alone on this forum, I'd happily sacrifice the Euros to provide extra time to complete the domestic and European schedules (which we all hope will still be relevant for us well into April/May!). An international tournament free summer also allows proper recuperation for all players ahead of 2021/22 and whilst we (as fans) probably don't care this would also allow the club to participate in the lucrative overseas summer tour too.

However, this simply won't happen - most likely scenario is that the close window of 23 May gets put back a week.

There should be a better system for this.

Also, looking at that fixture schedule they will almost certainly need to come up with a structure for cancelling games and awarding points.

We also have pointless international breaks in March we could cull.

They're WC qualifiers aren't they so hardly pointless unless you're @scaramanga. However, I agree with your point - they should be looking at alternatives rather than dragging players across the continent in the middle of a pandemic when the fixture list is already crammed.

I think that is probably a little optimistic. We might have got a headstart from starting vaccinating in early December but we don't have a good record of delivering big programmes and I think that better run countries could overtake us quite quickly.

You dont need to vaccinate everyone in order to start to return to normal. Just vaccinating the most at risk people (over 75s plus care home staff) takes the vast majority of covid pressure off the NHS and health system, and we should have at least half of those vaccinated by the end of Jan and all during Feb

Not surprised, no clarity at all. What's the point of a protocol if you can just make an appeal on health grounds and call it off just a few hours beforehand. There needs to be more transparency on how many players are unavailable and in what circumstances they postponed the game.

Does it matter?

Footballs in an extremely privileged situation to even continue when the sport flies in the face of what is currently safe by its own nature. The correct decision was made in my opinion because on BBC1 we are announcing 1000 deaths, the fact Fulham Spurs was called off last minute which has no real knock on effect is not the most important thing here.

They're WC qualifiers aren't they so hardly pointless unless you're @scaramanga. However, I agree with your point - they should be looking at alternatives rather than dragging players across the continent in the middle of a pandemic when the fixture list is already crammed.
I see you've correctly identified the opinion that matters.

I can confirm, they're pointless.

Not surprised, no clarity at all. What's the point of a protocol if you can just make an appeal on health grounds and call it off just a few hours beforehand. There needs to be more transparency on how many players are unavailable and in what circumstances they postponed the game.

Does it matter?

Footballs in an extremely privileged situation to even continue when the sport flies in the face of what is currently safe by its own nature. The correct decision was made in my opinion because on BBC1 we are announcing 1000 deaths, the fact Fulham Spurs was called off last minute which has no real knock on effect is not the most important thing here.

You dont need to vaccinate everyone in order to start to return to normal. Just vaccinating the most at risk people (over 75s plus care home staff) takes the vast majority of covid pressure off the NHS and health system, and we should have at least half of those vaccinated by the end of Jan and all during Feb

1-4 would take 3.5 months if we get up to vaccinating 2m people a week. Of course, every person that we vaccinate potentially reduces pressure on the NHS but there is a world of difference between that and hosting an international sporting event.

2adede5b-162d-45ae-9059-92b119de2909-jpeg.10460

Damn it. I should be watching football but instead, I am going to have to spend time with the family!

Does it matter?

Calling off the Spurs match in isolation makes no difference though does it? If the PL announced they were stopping matches altogether then fair enough but calling off a match that would have been played between players who have been tested not to have COVID doesn’t change anything, especially when the league is determined to continue as normal....

Back