• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Australia has all kinds of advantages to stopping the spread of something like this:

• Their country is mainly sheep
  • If you can't fly it's pretty much not worth moving between population centres
  • If you do drive, there's not many roads between the areas zoned off
  • Their inhabitants are happy to act like good little sheep when their govt tells them to
  • It's summer
Compare that to the UK, where a supermarket was simultaneously in zones 2 & 4.

Do you put special effort into being wrong? Not one of those dot points was even remotely accurate.

Australia has all kinds of advantages to stopping the spread of something like this:

• Their inhabitants are happy to act like good little sheep when their govt tells them to
  • It's summer

Its a matter of fact that they have gone for suppression of the virus and put protecting the vulnerable as a priority and as a result they have now have a summer they can enjoy.

Its a matter of fact that they have gone for suppression of the virus and put protecting the vulnerable as a priority and as a result they have now have a summer they can enjoy.
And have had all the advantages (except govt overreach which I would call a massive disadvantage under any circumstance) that I listed to do so.

What they did is neither possible nor wanted in the UK.

To paraphrase your pandemic greatest hits to date:

- The Swedish approach is the right one (now has one of the highest per capita death rates in the world; Swedish king feels moved to make extremely rare intervention; Swedish government changes tack)
- Protect the vulnerable and let everyone else get on with life (policy not adopted by a single country in the world and viewed as unworkable by the vast majority of scientists)
- Let the virus run its natural course (many UK hospitals now under severe strain again, and NHS staff struggling to cope with a second wave in which numbers are rising rapidly - this despite significant interventions)
- Autumnal infection rates high in the north and low in the south because the virus was probably moving through the south of England earlier in the year without anyone being aware and there is now a level of herd immunity there (check out the news this evening)
- How can people in Taiwan/South Korea/Australia/New Zealand etc bear these extended restrictions to their freedoms? (Life in these countries has largely returned to something approaching normal; large swathes of England face months in further lockdown)
- Schools won’t close for any longer than the Christmas holidays as the government realise this had terrible economic ramifications in the last lockdown (I think we can all see where that is headed)

I could go on, but you get the jist, I’m sure.

So you’ll perhaps understand if I don’t invest too much thought in your theories around Nightingale Hospitals. :D

Hilarious, it’s like his greatest hits of being wrong. Volume 1, 2020. Can’t wait for next years..

• It's summer

Amazing that you know so much about a place you’ve never been to.

• It's summer

This is a great post. Well done as usual.

THis feels massive. Any idea of how many doses there are ready to go?

They've been manufacturing since the autumn and it is far easier to make than the other licensed vaccines. It can also be made in the UK. I doubt supply will be an issue at this stage.

As @LutonSpurs says, the issue is more likely to be availability of medical staff to give it. I have heard reports of retired doctors, nurses and dentists volunteering but not getting responses. I know that some councils are recruiting volunteers directly.

They've been manufacturing since the autumn and it is far easier to make than the other licensed vaccines. It can also be made in the UK. I doubt supply will be an issue at this stage.

As @LutonSpurs says, the issue is more likely to be availability of medical staff to give it. I have heard reports of retired doctors, nurses and dentists volunteering but not getting responses. I know that some councils are recruiting volunteers directly.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55280671

Looks like full approval only given to the two full jabs method that is 62% effective, not enough data to to approve the 90% half jab/full jab method. Think that probably stinks of the time frame to collate all that data is just too long for the government who want to get a wriggle on with roll out?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55280671

Looks like full approval only given to the two full jabs method that is 62% effective, not enough data to to approve the 90% half jab/full jab method. Think that probably stinks of the time frame to collate all that data is just too long for the government who want to get a wriggle on with roll out?

62% is still very good, that is higher than the flu vaccine and well above the 50% level that was the target before trials.

The differences in methodology between the trials of the various vaccines makes direct comparisons of effectiveness very difficult.

It's still a huge undertaking. Just under 20% of the UK's population is over 65. If we get to 2m vaccinations a week, it'll take you three months to give each of them two doses.

On top of that you need to prioritise people with long term health conditions, key workers and possibly secondary school pupils.

62% is still very good, that is higher than the flu vaccine and well above the 50% level that was the target before trials.

The differences in methodology between the trials of the various vaccines makes direct comparisons of effectiveness very difficult.
The yearly composition of the flu vac (ie some guesswork) is not really something to positively compare it against.

I'm not sure how they measure effectiveness but does it lit.erally mean that 38/100 shots do nothing ?

Back