• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

I try my best to keep posts at an accessible level for normals, but clearly don't always achieve it.

Next time you don't understand one of them just let me know, I'll do my best to explain it to you.

I understand clearly, as do most. You're a self-involved, uncompassionate clam.

Then ship in cheap staff.

It's not like we're after consultants, we need people capable of putting a needle in someone's arm and giving them a biscuit.

To paraphrase your pandemic greatest hits to date:

- The Swedish approach is the right one (now has one of the highest per capita death rates in the world; Swedish king feels moved to make extremely rare intervention; Swedish government changes tack)
- Protect the vulnerable and let everyone else get on with life (policy not adopted by a single country in the world and viewed as unworkable by the vast majority of scientists)
- Let the virus run its natural course (many UK hospitals now under severe strain again, and NHS staff struggling to cope with a second wave in which numbers are rising rapidly - this despite significant interventions)
- Autumnal infection rates high in the north and low in the south because the virus was probably moving through the south of England earlier in the year without anyone being aware and there is now a level of herd immunity there (check out the news this evening)
- How can people in Taiwan/South Korea/Australia/New Zealand etc bear these extended restrictions to their freedoms? (Life in these countries has largely returned to something approaching normal; large swathes of England face months in further lockdown)
- Schools won’t close for any longer than the Christmas holidays as the government realise this had terrible economic ramifications in the last lockdown (I think we can all see where that is headed)

I could go on, but you get the jist, I’m sure.

So you’ll perhaps understand if I don’t invest too much thought in your theories around Nightingale Hospitals. :D

Last edited:

- The Swedish approach is the right one (now has one of the highest per capita death rates in the world; Swedish king forced to make extremely rare intervention; Swedish government changes tack)
- Protect the vulnerable and let everyone else get on with life (policy not adopted by a single country in the world and viewed as unworkable by the vast majority of scientists)
- Let the virus run its natural course (many UK hospitals now under severe strain again, and NHS staff struggling to cope with a second wave in which numbers are rising rapidly - this despite significant interventions)
- Infection rates high in the north and low in the south because the virus was probably moving through the south of England earlier in the year without anyone being aware and there is now a level of herd immunity there (check out the news this evening)
- How can people in Taiwan/South Korea/Australia/New Zealand etc bear these extended restrictions to their freedoms? (Life in these countries has largely returned to something approaching normal; large swathes of England face months in further lockdown)
- Schools won’t close for any longer than the Christmas holidays as the government realise this had terrible economic ramifications in the last lockdown (I think we can all see where this is headed)

So you’ll perhaps be understand if I don’t invest too much in your ideas around Nightingale Hospitals. :D
And all of that stands for anyone with the balls to go through with it.

Unfortunately the general public are prone to panic and hysteria (see number of people who claim to be afraid of the virus in opinion polls). That doesn't work for elected officials as for a generation now, public opinion holds more value than fact.

And all of that stands for anyone with the balls to go through with it.

Unfortunately the general public are prone to panic and hysteria (see number of people who claim to be afraid of the virus in opinion polls). That doesn't work for elected officials as for a generation now, public opinion holds more value than fact.

So the majority of the world’s governments and scientific communities are wrong, and you are right.

Okkkkkkayyyy...you do realise what one major definition of madness is, right? :rolleyes:

So the majority of the world’s governments and scientific communities are wrong, and you are right.

Okkkkkkayyyy...you do realise what one major definition of madness is, right? :rolleyes:
Actually I'd phrase it as "All the governments of the world are concerned with re-election and I'm not" coupled with "Epidemiologists work in a very limited field and are not concerned with more important aspects such as the economy."

- The Swedish approach is the right one (now has one of the highest per capita death rates in the world; Swedish king feels moved to make extremely rare intervention; Swedish government changes tack)
- Autumnal infection rates high in the north and low in the south because the virus was probably moving through the south of England earlier in the year without anyone being aware and there is now a level of herd immunity there (check out the news this evening)
- Schools won’t close for any longer than the Christmas holidays as the government realise this had terrible economic ramifications in the last lockdown (I think we can all see where that is headed)

So you’ll perhaps understand if I don’t invest too much thought in your theories around Nightingale Hospitals. :D
But on the other hand, money.

AZ said there's some evidence it reduces transmission but didn't provide any other details.

My understanding is that they weren't testing for it specifically and it would probably take longer and be harder to test for. Any reduction would be helpful right now.

Actually I'd phrase it as "All the governments of the world are concerned with re-election and I'm not" coupled with "Epidemiologists work in a very limited field and are not concerned with more important aspects such as the economy."

Let's be fair. The vast majority of Epidemiologists have been consistent about the need for schools to remain open as much as possible. And this government hasn't acted on their advice quickly or consistently. If you want to see a country where they have listened then look at Australia where they have large crowds at the Boxing day test. The economy there is up and running and they have minimised the loss of life of their most vulnerable.

Let's be fair. The vast majority of Epidemiologists have been consistent about the need for schools to remain open as much as possible. And this government hasn't acted on their advice quickly or consistently. If you want to see a country where they have listened then look at Australia where they have large crowds at the Boxing day test. The economy there is up and running and they have minimised the loss of life of their most vulnerable.
Australia has all kinds of advantages to stopping the spread of something like this:

• Their country is mainly sheep
  • If you can't fly it's pretty much not worth moving between population centres
  • If you do drive, there's not many roads between the areas zoned off
  • Their inhabitants are happy to act like good little sheep when their govt tells them to
  • It's summer
Compare that to the UK, where a supermarket was simultaneously in zones 2 & 4.

Back