• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A worrying trend?

Dier, Alderweireld, Aurier, Son, Ndombele, Lo Celso or Sissoko.... that is 6 spots in our best current team filled with Poch signings. Two were here pre Poch (Lloris and Kane).
Aurier this season I’d agree but not on any previous season
And he of course needs to get his head right after Leicester
Everyone wants a pacey new CB. Think you said it yourself didn’t you so that’s one CB here (you went for the lad from Fiorientina)
Sissoko shouldn’t be starting for a top side. He can play odd games when the team aren’t gonna have the ball but not agains5 the normal sides. It’s why Jose was in shock when he joined at his influence on the dressing room as he thought he would be a player out the door or out the team at least (%he also said he isn’t a CM)
So far we haven’t seen tanguy and lo Celso play well well together so that’s an issue and why we play one of them only
Son is undebatable.
So I still make it 1 CB he signed, a possible right back depending which head he has on, one CM and son

Aurier this season I’d agree but not on any previous season
And he of course needs to get his head right after Leicester
Everyone wants a pacey new CB. Think you said it yourself didn’t you so that’s one CB here (you went for the lad from Fiorientina)
Sissoko shouldn’t be starting for a top side. He can play odd games when the team aren’t gonna have the ball but not agains5 the normal sides. It’s why Jose was in shock when he joined at his influence on the dressing room as he thought he would be a player out the door or out the team at least (%he also said he isn’t a CM)
So far we haven’t seen tanguy and lo Celso play well well together so that’s an issue and why we play one of them only
Son is undebatable.
So I still make it 1 CB he signed, a possible right back depending which head he has on, one CM and son
Well before Aurier it was Trippier, who he also brought in. The facts are that our current strongest team has in it a minimum of 6 players who were signed by Pochettino (and perhaps 7 as Dele could easily play ahead of Bergwijn if we had a less defensive oriented manager).

Yes I would like to see two of those players swapped out though (CH and CM)

This is one of the reasons i keep saying its a work in progress as our team does need changes, a lot of fans have praised Toby this season but he is well below his best and at his age will not get better. We have not seen the best of either Lo Celso or Tanguy and its still to be proved if they can play together, Sanchez does not seem to be improving and i am not sure he will. Early days ( i know so me fans want it now) but it rarely turns out to do a overall of a squad quickly.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons i keep saying its a work in progress as our team does need changes, a lot of fans have praised Toby this season but he is well below his best and at his age will not get better. We have not seen the best of either Lo Celso or Tanguy and its still to be proved if they can play together, Sanchez does not seem to be improving and i am not sure he will. Early days ( i know I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you want it now) but it rarely turns out to do a overall of a squad quickly.
I think Lo Celso and Ndombele could play together in midfield.... but not in this Jose ball team of out and out deep defence. Get ourselves 15 yards up the pitch, on the front foot and pressing and I think we’ve got an excellent player in every position other than centre back.

I think Lo Celso and Ndombele could play together in midfield.... but not in this Jose ball team of out and out deep defence. Get ourselves 15 yards up the pitch, on the front foot and pressing and I think we’ve got an excellent player in every position other than centre back.

Not saying your wrong and you make a good point but we shall have to see. At the moment we have not seen them together very often and i must admit i am concerned that Lo Celso gets a lot of injurys. ( or seems to)

Not saying your wrong and you make a good point but we shall have to see. At the moment we have not seen them together very often and i must admit i am concerned that Lo Celso gets a lot of injurys. ( or seems to)
Indeed. I am hoping Sabitzer comes in January. He could also play in that 3 (but again, would need us higher up the pitch).

———————— Lloris
Aurier——-CH——————CH———-Regulion
————————Hojbjerg
————Ndombele———Sabitzer
—-Bergwijn————Kane—————Son

Is a fantastic line up to play pressing, attacking football. Put a proper, top class, commanding centre back in there and then either of Dier or Toby could play in that team alongside. Pace out wide and skill and invention through the middle and (in theory) goal potential from several players. Hojbjerg tucks in as our CH’s fan out when the full backs overlap.

Indeed. I am hoping Sabitzer comes in January. He could also play in that 3 (but again, would need us higher up the pitch).

I agree we need to be more progressive then we have been lately ( not getting overhyped about it like some though), i know i keep saying it but we ARE a work in progress and i if/when we are finished that work i have no doubt that we will play higher up the pitch.

Jose is not daft ( despite the comments of those who have never liked him) and i have in the past seen his sides tear other teams apart by attacking. We have seen examples of that this season ( Utd/Southampton}. I know fans want it now but we had a lot of work to do after Pooch went and its not been easy for a couple of reasons.

Do not get me wrong i want us to play great exciting football like most others but it takes time to find the right blend, as yet we have not.

Last edited:
Waiting approximately a decade for a trophy (1991 > 1999 > 2008 > ?), now that is a worrying trend.

Despite this being the longest wait for a trophy since the turn of the 1950s, if we don't win something this year, I wouldn't be so annoyed. For me, it's not just about ending the wait, it's about winning trophies consistently. I remember the joy of the League Cups in 1999 and 2008 but I remember the trophy droughts afterwards equally.

Well before Aurier it was Trippier, who he also brought in. The facts are that our current strongest team has in it a minimum of 6 players who were signed by Pochettino (and perhaps 7 as Dele could easily play ahead of Bergwijn if we had a less defensive oriented manager).

Yes I would like to see two of those players swapped out though (CH and CM)
From memory Dele signed six months before Poch arrived and was loaned back to MK Dons. It was always the plan that he would come to WHL at the end of that loan which just so happened to coincide with Poch's arrival. So not a Poch signing.

From memory Dele signed six months before Poch arrived and was loaned back to MK Dons. It was always the plan that he would come to WHL at the end of that loan which just so happened to coincide with Poch's arrival. So not a Poch signing.
I don’t think that’s correct
Sure he signed mid way through Poch first season
Although it’s recognised that was a David Pleat signing. I was still amazed at how quickly Poch integrated him into the first team and more so as an AM

This is one of the reasons i keep saying its a work in progress as our team does need changes, a lot of fans have praised Toby this season but he is well below his best and at his age will not get better. We have not seen the best of either Lo Celso or Tanguy and its still to be proved if they can play together, Sanchez does not seem to be improving and i am not sure he will. Early days ( i know I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you want it now) but it rarely turns out to do a overall of a squad quickly.
Yup, Alderweireld is not the player he was during Pochettino’s heyday and whilst Dier is improving at LCB he ain’t at same level as Vertonghen was.

Hojbjerg is starting to fill the void left by Wanyama but Ndombele needs to be able to regularly complete 90 minutes before he can be truly considered Moussa’s heir, as Winks just don’t quite cut it for me.

Lo Celso has shown some promise but looks as injury prone as Lamela, which just emphasises how fortunate were to have Eriksen orchestrating our attacks (Dele certainly misses his link-up play) and he might prove to be as difficult to replace as Modric was.

Back