• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool ***

Every season they find a way
That also includes when they were inferior to us
What does that say to you? it says we are horrendous there and even if we’re not we still don’t get wins (5 in the our league history I believe)
So it’s nothing new
We’ve in and fight again
Win the next few games and it’s a pick me up
The players will be hurting
The manager is hurting

That really is a disgusting record. 5 fudging league wins. Shows that these things are more than just coincidence - mentality and club culture are factors in that brick.

That really is a disgusting record. 5 fudging league wins. Shows that these things are more than just coincidence - meteorology and club culture are factors in that brick.
And also the way we play at certain grounds
I don’t believe we won there when we won the league
We won once there in the 80s when we had great sides
I don’t think we won a game there under Poch
It’s not new
People are over reacting like we should go there and spank them
People are saying their weakened but they have won everything on the last 18 months and we’re missing 2 starters from that team (yes firmino was playing a different position)
I’m still waiting to see pool get some big away results now to ramp up their lead (I believe they haven’t won an away game so far) and then judge how we compare

And also the way we play at certain grounds
I don’t believe we won there when we won the league
We won once there in the 80s when we had great sides
I don’t think we won a game there under Poch
It’s not new
People are over reacting like we should go there and spank them
People are saying their weakened but they have won everything on the last 18 months and we’re missing 2 starters from that team (yes firmino was playing a different position)
I’m still waiting to see pool get some big away results now to ramp up their lead (I believe they haven’t won an away game so far) and then judge how we compare

Nope, Poch didn’t win there. Harry won 2-0 there against a mediocre Dalglish side and Ossie won there against a poor Souness side. Other than that, in my time supporting Spurs, it’s been misery after misery up there. The FA Cup win under Gerry the Mullet was one bright spot but we still managed to go on and get tonked by an inferior team in the next round. fudging Tottenham.

That really is a disgusting record. 5 fudging league wins. Shows that these things are more than just coincidence - meteorology and club culture are factors in that brick.
Didn’t realise our shocking record at Clanfield stretched back quite that far, makes Stamford Bridge seem like a happy hunting ground :eek:

Played:78 Won:6 Drawn:22 Lost:50 For:65 Against:154

29th October 1910 we won 2-1
16th March 1912 we won 2-1
16th March 1985 we won 1-0
11th October 1986 we won 1-0
25th August 1993 we won 2-1
15th May 2011 we won 2-0

http://www.mehstg.com/livestat.htm

I'm still tinkled off, but think we can take some heart from the way we played. They're arguably the best team in the league, and only had that one chance in the second half. If we had been more clinical we would've won. I think we can win the league. Upgrade on Dier and Sissoko in January and we'll be in the mix.

Nope, Poch didn’t win there. Harry won 2-0 there against a mediocre Dalglish side and Ossie won there against a poor Souness side. Other than that, in my time supporting Spurs, it’s been misery after misery up there. The FA Cup win under Gerry the Mullet was one bright spot but we still managed to go on and get tonked by an inferior team in the next round. fudging Tottenham.
Yeah next round vs Neverton

I'm still tinkled off, but think we can take some heart from the way we played. They're arguably the best team in the league, and only had that one chance in the second half. If we had been more clinical we would've won. I think we can win the league. Upgrade on Dier and Sissoko in January and we'll be in the mix.
I thought Dier had a really good game
The defence played well
Aurier made 10 tackles which explains why mane was so quiet
I do agree that an upgrade on sissoko is the next level move but we should also recognise how important abs key he has been to date

Gutwrenchingly disappointed to lose. That one hurt.

The performance was rather good though. Particularly the second half, less so the first half.

Probably the most difficult game of the league season. We need to bounce back though, and quickly.
I thought Toby and Dier had solid games myself but ultimately they win because of an OG (where both players went in to block) and Tobys inability to win balls in the air.

There is a very clear pattern to most of our concessions this season. Set-pieces in the air. I think Mourinho will ask for Skriner (Sp)...something like that could make the difference.
Hopefully Rodon will soon be up to speed, as he’s supposed to be dominant in the air.

Last edited:
I'd say that part of the problem lies with the expectations.

Apparently, some people out there believe we have to win the league this season. I suppose that's because they expect Mourinho to leave in a year or so. Regardless of whether that happens or not, I think Mourinho's right to say we're not there yet. We might pull out a Leicester and win it but we certainly don't have to. I'd say the most important thing this season is to get back in the Champions League, if only for financial reasons, and winning a cup would be a bonus as it would validate our current approach.

While watching the game yesterday, I remembered a few things. First, when we lost to Everton on the opening day of the season, a lot of people (myself included) thought the writing was on the wall.

Second, a lot of people (myself included) thought the squad needed a complete overhaul in order to taste success again. As it stands, we gave one of the best teams in Europe a run for their money with only two players (Bergwijn and Hojbjerg) who weren't there at the start of last season, when we were flirting with disaster. A lot of people (at least on here) didn't trust Mourinho to rebuild the squad, yet Hojbjerg and Reguillon have proved to be excellent signings.

For nearly six months, we received a lot of very negative comments from a lot of different pundits, almost week in, week out. Now, that idiot Craig Burley is 'enjoying watching Spurs'.

I don't see myself as one of Mourinho's fanboys but you have to give credit where it's due: he's done an excellent job so far. Quite frankly, apart from the long period when we didn't have a striker in the squad, nothing ever went the way most people expected.

I was as gutted as the next guy when Firminio scored - even more so because we could have been a goal (or two) up at that point but we shouldn't forget where we come from. Also, Liverpool have hardly lost a home game under Klopp. So, until I see proof of the contrary, I'm going to remain optimistic for the rest of the season!

Well, had some time to digest...

Our counter attacking has been exceptional this season though we have let ourselves down in our two recent games.

We need to work on a strategy for aggressive high pressing, we need to be better with our distribution from the back, we are bypassing the midfield too often with too many unsuccessful long balls.

For the longest time I have felt the attitude towards sissoko on here is harsh, yet perhaps the sitter next to Hoijberg is key, to the point I'm wishing for someone like Tielemans, someone technically better who can pick a pass.

We came so close to winning with the chances we had and they pressed us at superhuman levels in that 1st half so I'm not going to complain about the strategy, though I'm upset we didn't see Ndombele and I felt our subs didn't make the required impact.

Not going to give up hope, but we still have loads to work on, lots to improve on.

Dust ourselves down and go again, we need to respond against Leicester

I think Bergwijn is getting undue criticism on here.

He played a stormer defensively. Essentially having the same role on the left that Sissoko had on the right in the first half. He kept Alexander Arnold very quiet, he and Davies kept that side very quiet.

Yeah he could/should have scored. But on the other hand he got into good goalscoring positions. Kane too should/could have scored. Kane should/could have played players through on goal had he gotten a better touch in several situations. All of our attacking players could have done more, getting into the right positions, getting the chances is a positive.

If Bergwijn keeps getting into those positions he will get goals. Defensively I think only Sissoko matches his impact in games like this from wide positions, and Sissoko has only a fraction of the attacking impact.

I'd say that part of the problem lies with the expectations.

Apparently, some people out there believe we have to win the league this season. I suppose that's because they expect Mourinho to leave in a year or so. Regardless of whether that happens or not, I think Mourinho's right to say we're not there yet. We might pull out a Leicester and win it but we certainly don't have to. I'd say the most important thing this season is to get back in the Champions League, if only for financial reasons, and winning a cup would be a bonus as it would validate our current approach.

While watching the game yesterday, I remembered a few things. First, when we lost to Everton on the opening day of the season, a lot of people (myself included) thought the writing was on the wall.

Second, a lot of people (myself included) thought the squad needed a complete overhaul in order to taste success again. As it stands, we gave one of the best teams in Europe a run for their money with only two players (Bergwijn and Hojbjerg) who weren't there at the start of last season, when we were flirting with disaster. A lot of people (at least on here) didn't trust Mourinho to rebuild the squad, yet Hojbjerg and Reguillon have proved to be excellent signings.

For nearly six months, we received a lot of very negative comments from a lot of different pundits, almost week in, week out. Now, that idiot Craig Burley is 'enjoying watching Spurs'.

I don't see myself as one of Mourinho's fanboys but you have to give credit where it's due: he's done an excellent job so far. Quite frankly, apart from the long period when we didn't have a striker in the squad, nothing ever went the way most people expected.

I was as gutted as the next guy when Firminio scored - even more so because we could have been a goal (or two) up at that point but we shouldn't forget where we come from. Also, Liverpool have hardly lost a home game under Klopp. So, until I see proof of the contrary, I'm going to remain optimistic for the rest of the season!
Great post
I’ll add that pool have players who has never lost a league game at home ... never
That includes
Salad
Fabinho
Allison
VVD
Robertson
Mane
Keira
oxo
Shaquiri

now to me that’s a mental stat alone

Even though we have done great so far this season, our expectations should be warranted.

Not to say we haven’t had our share of rooster ups. Should have done better vs everton. Should have beat Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Should not have thrown a 3 goal lead vs spammers and probably could have done better vs palace and liverpool (kane should have buried that chance)

Bu overall when we look at the season, lets face it our main rivals have all been brick. Chelsea look the strongest and even they have messed up quite a few games. There is no stand out team from the top 6. So therefore with the strength of our team and the mourinho factor we should be doing better.

We do not have alot of new players ( our core have been playing together for quite a long time) and we don’t have any major injuries.

United are brick. City and liverpool are nowhere near the level they were these past seasons. Arsenal are the disgrace of the league. And all those minor teams that have strengthened or are in hood form (villa, everton, soton, spammers etc) will not be able to keep going the full season.

This is our best shot yet. Even in previous seasons when we were beaten to the title there has been at least 1 team that were better, luckier or stronger. I cannot see it this year.

I am actually feeling quite reasonable this morning about the whole thing - am absolutely deveastated - don't get me wrong...

BUT!

There are going to be lots of twists and turns this season - Liverpool will drop points against teams - league feels very open this year - look at the chelskum and marketing project results this weekend.
On the Atheltic podcast - (view from the lane) - I really like those guys they said that each game will be a learning/lesson for Mourinho.
We draw with West Ham - we tighten up the defence etc - so I am sure there will be learnings yesterday on what we need to do to compete with Liverpool at home - better ball retention in the midfield and being more clinical with chances.

We just need to start to put away the midtable/lesser teams a be more ruthless against them.

Well, had some time to digest...

Our counter attacking has been exceptional this season though we have let ourselves down in our two recent games.

We need to work on a strategy for aggressive high pressing, we need to be better with our distribution from the back, we are bypassing the midfield too often with too many unsuccessful long balls.

For the longest time I have felt the attitude towards sissoko on here is harsh, yet perhaps the sitter next to Hoijberg is key, to the point I'm wishing for someone like Tielemans, someone technically better who can pick a pass.

We came so close to winning with the chances we had and they pressed us at superhuman levels in that 1st half so I'm not going to complain about the strategy, though I'm upset we didn't see Ndombele and I felt our subs didn't make the required impact.

Not going to give up hope, but we still have loads to work on, lots to improve on.

Dust ourselves down and go again, we need to respond against Leicester
Sissoko is excellent at some things and that has been very valuable to us in key areas and key games. For this game and several others he's an automatic starter, rightly so with the options available to us.

His weaknesses are clearly apparent and I struggle to think of a title challenging team playing with someone as limited as him on the ball in central midfield. We can make it work, but we will probably have to rely on being solid in the extreme defensively and brilliant/clinical on the break. I'm not sure we can expect us to keep that up for a full season.

Back