• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

When he did the 'backing in' thing.

I haven't seen seething spitting anger like that for a long time. He should drop into our mental health thread, I'm sure we could help him.

I prefer the version in my head of that reaction being to his goal. It works just as well. "He's done it again, the effin qunt Kane, he's only gone and done it again!" :D

Yea I’m actually not saying I think he’s definitely going to be a failure, just that we need to see how it plays out. What I’m querying is why/how he seems to have started off his career, before he’d even managed a game, with this reputation that you can trust him to rebuild a club the size of Arsenal? What is that confidence in him based off?

They probably think he is young and has a vision and energy that means there may be a longer term goal and ambition.

Yea I get that, I just don’t understand why so many are convinced Arteta will work. I asked back when he was appointed as well why it seemed unanimous in the media that Arsenal had pulled off some sort of coup to get him. What is the confidence in him based off that other first time managers aren’t afforded?

Didn't pay much attention to what the media were saying then, but if anyone claimed to know that it would work that's just silly. If anyone could predict these things they would be making more money than journalists do.

He was seen as a bit of a coup as he was highly thought of. He was being talked of as a potential successor to Guardiola at City. So getting him ahead of the competition, based purely on potential, could be seen as a good move.

I think the potential for the move to not work was probably understated. But that's often the case with new managers from the media.

I'd be most worried about Allardyce to be honest.

Simone would probably do a GHod job given time, but he'd need to buy a whole new squad of players to replicate what he's done in Madrid, it wouldn't happen overnight.

Simone would probably do a GHod job given time, but he'd need to buy a whole new squad of players to replicate what he's done in Madrid, it wouldn't happen overnight.

I think he has put so much into Madrid he will be one of those guys who can only do it one place and then is not as good anywhere else.

Agreed. I’d love it if they ended up with Pulis for a generation. Kronke might be happy with boring dog brick football, provided they stay in the league. What does he care, he doesn’t watch it anyway. And it would be good for AFTV, an endless supply of terrible results for them to bitch and whine about.

They have a tough set of fixtures for the rest of the month. Would be funny to see them sack Arteta. Normally I would worry that there is a January transfer window coming up to sort things out but there is nothing they can do about all the issues they have at the minute!

They have a tough set of fixtures for the rest of the month. Would be funny to see them sack Arteta. Normally I would worry that there is a January transfer window coming up to sort things out but there is nothing they can do about all the issues they have at the minute!
They could buy Chris Wood, their only tactic of crossing it in to the box from anywhere within 30 yards of the byline might actually work then?

Back