• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

I don't think thats a more unacceptable ask than telling another player that he has to jump just because someone else has.

For me it does. The guy jumping for the header is making an attempt to play the ball and if the opposing player decides to just stand there, the fella going for the header is going to win it every time. So Kane's is not an honest attempt to play the ball because he's giving himself absolutely no chance to win it.

Instead, what Kane is doing, and you can clearly see it on the West Ham one, is taking a look at where the other player is and positioning himself so he'll be hit. He's even protecting himself and going down before he feels the contact. It's poor form which is fair enough because so may players are dishonest. The difference here is that it's dangerous.
You get that with tackles too though. Players getting their body in the way meaning that the tackler has to go through them to get the ball, and it can be dangerous. And with duels for contested balls on the floor.

Plenty of situations most games where long balls are lofted to strikers who control them without heading. By taking up good positions. Most centre backs don't try to go though the opponent to head the ball away, even though they could have headed the ball away if the striker wasn't there.

I agree that it's dangerous, not just sure Kane isn't well within his rights to take up a position where he can win the ball without jumping. Why isn't it the other player causing the danger by jumping into a situation where Kane can win the ball without jumping?

If he was charging into a jumping player with no chance of getting the ball that would be something else, but in these situations he would control the ball if the opponent didn't jump.

Should he surrender possession just because the other player is putting himself and Kane in danger?

If so time for our centre backs to start charging into unwinnable headers just because the opponents aren't jumping.

It’s dangerous. A player could end up with a broken neck falling like that. Harry’s not being malicious or trying to cause injury - he’s just trying to buy a foul. But it’s dangerous. Players are running and jumping for headers, he’s getting in their way to draw contact and it’s throwing them dangerously off balance.

But its up to the ref and the game to get that kinda stuff right, not Kane in my opinion. Too many Mendes, Fashanu and Neville/Keane comments about Spurs being soft and beat before a ball kicked for me to care about it TBH. If the ref sends him off so be it, if he doesnt and he gets away with it, we win the league, I take that all day long.

TBH if you look around teams and all they have done over the years, the players kicking lumps etc I dont care about what they say about us? I am not taking moral outcry from Liverpool fans, its laughable.

If the rules changed on this, I would be telling players to get into the air every time we put a ball into the box and look for contact with a standing defender.

Which would also not be an honest attempt to play the ball...same as Kane is doing.

Which would also not be an honest attempt to play the ball...same as Kane is doing.

It is impossible to judge intent in a situation like that. If a player jumps towards the path of the ball and makes contact with a standing player, it would be a foul and a penalty. I think that a rule change on this is a potential minefield and could end up being more dangerous than the problem you are trying to fix.

It’s hard to express all what I want to say in English but I will try, we have to differentiate between different situations, if a player from a standing position or moving jumps for the ball and then Kane “ as example ;) ) challenge him while he Is in the air push his leg or waist this situation is foul for the other player. But if Kane put his body in the position between the player and the ball before he jumps and doesn’t lean or bridging the player a foul is for Kane.

It’s hard to express all what I want to say in English but I will try, we have to differentiate between different situations, if a player from a standing position or moving jumps for the ball and then Kane “ as example ;) ) challenge him while he Is in the air push his leg or waist this situation is foul for the other player. But if Kane put his body in the position between the player and the ball before he jumps and doesn’t lean or bridging the player a foul is for Kane.

You did a great job of it. The rules are exactly as you describe

I’ll just add... never ever apologise for your English and your effort to write in another language. It’s hard enough for those of us who have English as our mother tongue

It is impossible to judge intent in a situation like that. If a player jumps towards the path of the ball and makes contact with a standing player, it would be a foul and a pelanty. I think that a rule change on this is a potential minefield and could end up being more dangerous than the problem you are trying to fix.

Rather like the stupid handball rule. Or the stupid offside rule where a player is offside because his toenail is offside.

There's no bigger Harry fan than me. I love the guy. I love his dedication, his professionalism and what he can do on the pitch. I’m certainly not saying he’s a dirty player. He’s not trying to do anyone, he’s trying to buy a foul. But by doing it, he is risking opposition players’ safety. He does dive but so does every other striker in the league. And I give Salad and Mane stick for it but Kane does it as well and so does Alli.

The point here is that he’s done the same thing three times in the last 6 weeks and it’s dangerous. If he keeps doing it, sooner or later we’ll have an opposition player with a broken neck or another player might do it to one of our players.

My first question...is it a rule that when the ball is in the air and there to be won, both players have to jump? Why can't there be an onus on defenders not to go roaring into these challenges with full-blooded (and often reckless) gusto? Sorry, I've seen Kane absolutely battered in the last few seasons, and it is no surprise to me whatsoever that since Mourinho came in (a man who has worked with some of the best CFs in the world) he has become a lot more protectionist and a lot less earnest. Let's face it, he has not had to "work" very hard to get these fouls because players clatter into him. But for me, the core of the point is that unless there has been a rule change, I don't see why Kane has to jump for an ariel ball if he doesn't want to.

Back