• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

Hoping for another magical performance from him tonight. Thought he looked sloppy when he came on against Antwerp and a bit more average than usual against Palace.

A real Ndombele show could make such a difference tonight. Think he has it in him.

Hoping for another magical performance from him tonight. Thought he looked sloppy when he came on against Antwerp and a bit more average than usual against Palace.

A real Ndombele show could make such a difference tonight. Think he has it in him.

We missed him. Our central midfield was lame apart from Hojbjerg who was on a yellow and therefore having to watch himself.

We missed him. Our central midfield was lame apart from Hojbjerg who was on a yellow and therefore having to watch himself.
Agreed that he was missed. Can understand the decisions made, but his quality was missed none the less.

I still think there's some way to go before he's at full fitness, if that's true things will get a lot better.

I can’t understand why he wasn’t the Lo Celso sub at least
His work rate has been great this season
Has he ever played wide?

I guess we could have moved Son wide, but he already looked to be getting tired. I think the decision made was to get someone in that position who knows that position with fresh legs to keep their fullbacks quiet. Perhaps Ndombele could have done that, but I can understand not throwing him on in an unfamiliar role at that stage.

I wanted him on for Son for the last 10-15 minutes. But Son is Son, he only needs that one break, that one counter to get the goal so I could understand keeping him on. When Son was eventually subbed the decision to bring Alli on instead of Ndombele surprised me. But it's Alli and "everyone" seems to want him to get more minutes so fair enough.

Ndombele for Sissoko would have been the sexy, high risk move. I would have loved it, but can certainly understand that it didn't happen.

Has he ever played wide?

I guess we could have moved Son wide, but he already looked to be getting tired. I think the decision made was to get someone in that position who knows that position with fresh legs to keep their fullbacks quiet. Perhaps Ndombele could have done that, but I can understand not throwing him on in an unfamiliar role at that stage.

I wanted him on for Son for the last 10-15 minutes. But Son is Son, he only needs that one break, that one counter to get the goal so I could understand keeping him on. When Son was eventually subbed the decision to bring Alli on instead of Ndombele surprised me. But it's Alli and "everyone" seems to want him to get more minutes so fair enough.

Ndombele for Sissoko would have been the sexy, high risk move. I would have loved it, but can certainly understand that it didn't happen.
No but Lo Celso has abs could have moved wide
Moura came on and literally offered nothing anywhere other than getting in the way

No but Lo Celso has abs could have moved wide
Moura came on and non-figuratively offered nothing anywhere other than getting in the way
I thought your were talking about when Lo Celso came off.

Lo Celso did move wide in the second half.

Who would you have taken off to bring on Ndombele and how would you have moved the players around?

Who would you have taken off to bring on Ndombele and how would you have moved the players around?
Think I would have just done the usual sub of Ndombele for Lo Celso.

Bringing Sissoko off would if been a risk with PEH on a yellow (As I did have a bit of a bad feeling that PEH was gonna get a second yellow in a moment of desperation or clumsiness, fairplay it didn happen)

Bergwein

I’d have kept Lo Celso on and gone 4-4-2 proper
Lo Celso left, sissoko right and Ndombele and PEH central
Own that space then

Bergwein

I’d have kept Lo Celso on and gone 4-4-2 proper
Lo Celso left, sissoko right and Ndombele and PEH central
Own that space then
That would have been exciting, brave, risky.

You said you didn't understand the decision not to bring on Ndombele. The option you present would leave a tiring GLC on a yellow down one flank, Hojbjerg on a yellow in the centre along with Ndombele.

There would be clear upsides and clear downsides to that. I think it's fairly easy to understand why Mourinho weighted those as he did.

You said you didn't understand the decision not to bring on Ndombele. The option you present would leave a tiring GLC on a yellow down one flank, Hojbjerg on a yellow in the centre along with Ndombele.

There would be clear upsides and clear downsides to that. I think it's fairly easy to understand why Mourinho weighted those as he did.
But instead we brought in Moura who didn’t get close enough to any for a yellow and his passing was awful
We lost anything when he came on

Fear of losing lost us the game. Being brave might have won it for us.

But instead we brought in Moura who didn’t get close enough to any for a yellow and his passing was awful
We lost anything when he came on
In hindsight, knowing that we lost, knowing how the game developed it's easy to point to things that could have been done differently.

Doesn't really help if we're trying to understand why Mourinho did what he did. Then again trying to understand that might not be what we're talking about.

Fear of losing lost us the game. Being brave might have won it for us.
Only Mourinho has to live with his decisions. Everyone else gets to second guess them with the benefit of hindsight.

The cautious counter attacking strategy could have won us the game, could have secured us a point, could lose us the game. All of those are also true of a more expansive approach.

Mourinho has to try to evaluate which changes increases or decreases the likelihood of the different outcomes. The fact that he chose one approach and a loss was the outcome tells us little to nothing about if his decision was right or wrong.

In hindsight, knowing that we lost, knowing how the game developed it's easy to point to things that could have been done differently.

Doesn't really help if we're trying to understand why Mourinho did what he did. Then again trying to understand that might not be what we're talking about.
Well he said he took GLC off to save him from getting a second yellow so the change was out of necessity from his viewpoint. Presumably he didn't sub Ndombele on because GLC had been moved out wide by that point and Ndombele probably doesn't suit the role and maybe he doubted his workrate?

Back