• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - SPURS vs LASK***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LutonSpurs

Eric Dear
Spurs v LASK

03 December 17:55

UEFA Europa League

Linzer Stadion, Linz

Hart
Dohert Sanchez Tangange Davies
Winks Lo Celso
Moura Bale Dele
Vinicius

COYS

To a certain extent, this game is probably more or less meaningless when it comes to whether we top the group:

- if we win, then we'll still have to beat Antwerp to top the group (assuming Antwerp beat Ludo) given that its the head to head record not GD which would decide it between us and Antwerp and, after this game, we'd both be on 12 points
- if we lose, then a win over Antwerp would almost certainly put us above them and we'd probably top the group unless LASK beat us by more than the 3-0 that we beat them by

To a certain extent, this game is probably more or less meaningless when it comes to whether we top the group:

- if we win, then we'll still have to beat Antwerp to top the group (assuming Antwerp beat Ludo) given that its the head to head record not GD which would decide it between us and Antwerp and, after this game, we'd both be on 12 points
- if we lose, then a win over Antwerp would almost certainly put us above them and we'd probably top the group unless LASK beat us by more than the 3-0 that we beat them by
Meaningless? If we lose this one, we probably need to win by two goals in the last game to even qualify, assuming LASK beat Ludogoregrets in the last match. A win will secure progress into the next round.

But if we lose this and then don’t beat Antwerp then wouldn’t we be completely exiting the competition? (assuming everyone beats Ludogrets as seems very likely).

As others have already said , definitely not meaningless and you have forgotten the draw.
If we draw don't we qualify as our H2H with Lask is superior ?

I quite like the idea that we still need to play two strong games to top the group and get a more favourable seeding going into the knockout rounds. The players who beat Ludo will be asked to deliver an important outcome and, considering they're not starting in PL play, this will be their chance to state their case for moving up in the rotation. Soft games that mean nothing don't really serve a purpose.

I quite like the idea that we still need to play two strong games to top the group and get a more favourable seeding going into the knockout rounds. The players who beat Ludo will be asked to deliver an important outcome and, considering they're not starting in PL play, this will be their chance to state their case for moving up in the rotation. Soft games that mean nothing don't really serve a purpose.
It's a good thing as long as we get the necessary result at least.

Getting more players fit and firing could end up being a very good thing for us and as you point out the way to that is meaningful football. Hopefully we won't see another Anderlecht game as a result of the rotation.

Hopefully we won't see another Anderlecht game as a result of the rotation.

I'm hoping that the European side is more settled now. The issue with Anderlecht is that we put out a scratch side against very organised opposition. The more they play together, the less that should be a problem. The risk is that they just look good against brick opposition.

I'm hoping that the European side is more settled now. The issue with Anderlecht is that we put out a scratch side against very organised opposition. The more they play together, the less that should be a problem. The risk is that they just look good against brick opposition.
I see that I'm not alone in calling Antwerp Anderlecht [emoji6]

Hopefully the lads getting EL game time will improve with that as you say.

Right now I don't think we have much of a choice in terms of at least moderate rotation. Yes there's a risk, but the risk of injuries is we don't rotate is to me more concerning.

Meaningless? If we lose this one, we probably need to win by two goals in the last game to even qualify, assuming LASK beat Ludogoregrets in the last match. A win will secure progress into the next round.

Please re-read the first line of the post!

And the point you raise saying: "If we lose this one, we probably need to win by two goals in the last game to even qualify" isn't right. If we lose and Antwerp win this week, we'd go into the last game with A on 12pts, Us on 9 and LASK on 9. However in all probability we will have a better head to head vs LASK meaning any win vs Antwerp puts us ahead of LASK....and we similarly will have a probably better GD than Antwerp so a 1-0 win puts us above Antwerp and a 2 goal win definitely does (given head to head is the first tie-breaker)

Last edited:
But if we lose this and then don’t beat Antwerp then wouldn’t we be completely exiting the competition? (assuming everyone beats Ludogrets as seems very likely).

My point point was that even if we lose, we probably have a get-out by beating Antwerp in the final game and that would mean we top the group anyway. Similarly if we beat LASK - then we need to beat Antwerp to top the group...and if we can't beat LASK or Antwerp in successive games as you suggest then we deserve not to go through!!

As I said above, its meaningless in terms of topping the group. There's actually quite a big difference in the last 32 between winning the group and finishing 2nd in terms of who we can face.

Back