• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2020 - Pushing up the daisies

Different times, but but the ball and tackles were much heavier then, and refs more prone to look the other way to let the game flow. The Messi we know wouldn't last 3 matches during the era maradonna played in.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It's a valid point. The tackles Maradona took were vicious particularly the Goikoetxea one which basically amounted to GBH. But I will say this for Messi - he takes his fair share of punishment and he's never really been theatrical in the same way most other players are (some of our own included).

I just finished watching the film (for the first time) about an hour ago. I didn't really appreciate how much he was hung out to dry by the people who had been happy to take advantage of him previously.
You can't help wonder what might have been had he been able to leave Napoli when he first spoke about wanting to move on.
But maybe it was already too late by then, who knows.
Such a fantastic player. Such a sad way for his career to end.

I just finished watching the film (for the first time) about an hour ago. I didn't really appreciate how much he was hung out to dry by the people who had been happy to take advantage of him previously.
You can't help wonder what might have been had he been able to leave Napoli when he first spoke about wanting to move on.
But maybe it was already too late by then, who knows.
Such a fantastic player. Such a sad way for his career to end.

Same here, brilliant watch. Treated soo poorly in Italy. But he was basically surrounded by mobs, looking terribly uncomfortable from the age of 16. No wonder he turned to taking gear. He was totally failed.

But his absolute physical commitment, his skill while having the brick kicked out of him. Taking Napoli from nothing to winning everything. Best player of all time, hands down.

So he's called a cheater by the English, but half of England should've been sent off for their treatment of him in the same game.

Spotted a re-run of the 86 game was on BBC sport and iPlayer earlier, so poured a drink and sat thru it.

Maradona won them the game, he'd would have won the game without the hand of GHod goal. England were just as I remember it, living up to our tournament stereotype, play with fear, punt it long, far too cautious, void of creativity. Give it a go for the final 10 mins, realise we can hurt them, all too little too late.:rolleyes:

We had our genius, Hoddle, playing a GHod awful game in midfield, misused? Whatever, it just shows what level Maradona was on, spinning, driving past players, 100% committed, pure belief he'll drag his country over the line.

Nice to hear the excellent Barry Davies on commentary.

Maradona's quip re the 66 World Cup Final goal that didn't go over the line is a nice piece of spin, but that is all. There is no comparison between that goal and the
Hand of GHod' travesty. England didn't set out to cheat and I'll bet most of the England players were unsure if it went over the line or not. Maradona knew exactly what he did and how he did it. He cheated, pure and simple.

Maradona's quip re the 66 World Cup Final goal that didn't go over the line is a nice piece of spin, but that is all. There is no comparison between that goal and the
Hand of GHod' travesty. England didn't set out to cheat and I'll bet most of the England players were unsure if it went over the line or not. Maradona knew exactly what he did and how he did it. He cheated, pure and simple.

Let it go.

the england players in that 86 game did set out to cheat though, kicking him up in air whenever they could, kicking someone on purpose is worse than a sneaky handball imo

there is no moral high ground to be had here

Back