• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

He looked like he enjoyed it, but he was given a free role last night which I think he prefers, not sure Jose will be that generous in a league game. I love Dele as he does things others can't.

He looked like he enjoyed it, but he was given a free role last night which I think he prefers, not sure Jose will be that generous in a league game. I love Dele as he does things others can't.
Can’t see any player getting a free role in a League game, but dele will get a chance still I’m sure

In terms of creative output he was good, but that's hard to judge given the opposition.

What wasn't hard to judge is his effort and professionalism. He looked like a player trying to prove to the manager that he deserves more games. That's good to see.

Do we measure creative output or just admire it. Oh captain my captain.

Do we measure creative output or just admire it. Oh captain my captain.

Admire it, I've got little time for stats, when you're on the pitch and a forwards running at you with the ball theres little time to reflex on his career stats, that's for the wise men and pundits who have all the answer sitting on their arses after a game. Some players have a massive influence on a game simply by being on the pitch.

What do you mean by free role exactly?

I wouldn't have described it as such.

He played just behind the striker and could drift across midfield, he did not appear to have much of a defensive roll but that possibly due to the opposition's lack of threat. I dont think he would have been allowed to do that against City if he had played.

He played just behind the striker and could drift across midfield, he did not appear to have much of a defensive roll but that possibly due to the opposition's lack of threat. I dont think he would have been allowed to do that against City if he had played.

BT sport after the game showed a few clips of his pressing from the front - the 4th goal came from him chasing down a defender, forcing a mistake. I think he showed as much defensively as any other attacker.

Positionally he was floating inbetween opposition lines, finding pockets of space in and around the attacking third - if that's what you meant then i agree

BT sport after the game showed a few clips of his pressing from the front - the 4th goal came from him chasing down a defender, forcing a mistake. I think he showed as much defensively as any other attacker.

Christ I'm not criticising him but I'm not going fudging mental about a tidy game against a bunch of sub standard players. I'm one of his biggest fans but I can see when he really good and when he's just ok. Its the same old problem on here you can only love or hate a player and you must never see any good points in those deemed brick or point out a fault in a golden boy.

Christ I'm not criticising him but I'm not going fudging mental about a tidy game against a bunch of sub standard players. I'm one of his biggest fans but I can see when he really good and when he's just ok. Its the same old problem on here you can only love or hate a player and you must never see any good points in those deemed brick or point out a fault in a golden boy.

Erm I'm just trying to have a discussion about his performance and what i saw differently to you with regards to his role.

Won't bother next time, crack on

It would be nice to see him getting some first team minutes in the league to bring along his confidence. If he can back anywhere close to his top level, he'd be like a new signing for us. Kane and Son know they can benefit from his inventiveness, it's just a case of rebuilding his confidence.

This kid's a beauty, eh? Ya see that mustache? He's gonna be sumptin', I'm tellin' ya.

Hadta go back and rebuild his basic approach to the game. Instinct and evry'think can only take ya so far at the top end. Ya gotta be doin' more to get more. And he's doin' it the right way - lookin', listenin' and layin' it out there. You kids pay attention.

Everybody hits a wall now and then and everythink. Ya can't let it knock you down. Gotta go over, go around, go through or knock it down. But get past it and move on. Jos'eh's got 'im movin' and I'm lovin' it.

Lol you might want to take a look in the mirror with an open mind mate!

It would be nice to see him getting some first team minutes in the league to bring along his confidence. If he can back anywhere close to his top level, he'd be like a new signing for us. Kane and Son know they can benefit from his inventiveness, it's just a case of rebuilding his confidence.
Play him where though?

he isn’t as good as Lo Celso at moving with the ball or Ndombele at passing and beating a man
He could be one of the attacking 3 of course

QUOTE="Bedfordspurs, post: 1383094, member: 150"]Play him where though?

he isn’t as good as Lo Celso at moving with the ball or Ndombele at passing and beating a man
He could be one of the attacking 3 of course[/QUOTE]
It’s a bit of a conundrum but I’m not 100% sure what the first choice trio is, I’m hoping Mourinho wants to see Gio and Ndombele 100% fit before he unleashes them both with Hojberg sitting.

Even then I think the pair of them prefer to be deeper as there is more space to exploit. Although we don’t seem to have a true number 10 role when they play they do seem to have been rotated as the most advance midfielder. There is some flexibility in the line for me, depending on the opponent, I think Mourinho likes to have Sissoko in there as a disruptor, which then means one of GLC and NDom would be on the bench. Again I am really hoping that a fit GLC takes the role of the box to box ball carrier, with sissoko his deputy. Winks can shadow PEH which would then leave Ndombele as the creative force, I see no reason why a hard working pressing Dele cannot compete for that role, albeit with a skill set that is more effective slightly higher up the pitch l, which would lead to his introduction if we were desperate for a goal or against a weaker team where we expect to be playing in their half against a deep lying defence.

Of course there are overlaps with all those 6 players and their attributes and in many ways I think Hojberg, Lo Celso and Ndombele are the perfect complimentary trio - the one thing it may lack is goals and to have the option of switching Dele in for one of them when chasing a game or needing a change of attacking options would be fantastic.

One of the things that may really make the difference this season is the rotation of players, Mourninho seems to be doing this shrewdly so far, perhaps mindful of the situation we had last season. If we can keep our best players fit it allows for more and more rhythm to build both in training and matchday , gives genuine competition for places as the backups are getting minutes to both prove themselves and keep match sharp and hopefully when it comes to the business end of the season our match winners will be a available and be sharp enough to make that 1% difference that we’ve been missing when we approach the final hurdle. There will be a few unsung heroes along the way, possibly one player who we don’t see as first x1 today who can force the issue too. I just love the depth we have, the austerity years were painful and I’d still debate the alternative approaches but seeing what we have now is starting to justify the means, as whilst we managed to get a competitive first X1 our wage and appeal wasn’t quite enough to attract the level of squad player that our rivals could introduce either in game or in rotation.

Sorry got carried away there, in short Dele will be an important player for us, even if he is now a backup!

Last edited:
Back