• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Japhet Tanganga

Its the way
I posted in the youth thread an interview with Alex Inglethorpe and he talks about youth development
Most players have the talent, very few have the meteorology
They look at 3 stages of development. Boys footy, boys to men, men to mindset basically
And they can’t and don’t predict when it will happen for each player

Having worked with many young players over the years i could not agree more with that. The playing fields all over the country on SAT/SUN are full of players who have once been on the books of Pro clubs but failed to step up as they get older. I think s ome fans would be amazed at just how many fall by the wayside once they move into their teens.

Last edited:
Having worked with many young players over the years i could not agree more with that. The playing fields all over the country on SAT/SUN are full of players who have once been on the books of Pro clubs but failed to step up as they get older. I think I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you would be amazed at just how many fall by the wayside once they move into their teens.

I think a lot are at clubs as a kind of 'best of the rest' - never likely to make it to full pro level, but needed to provide a certain level of ability to train and play with those who are ear-marked as the ones with the real potential to break through.
Plus it must be incredibly hard for a teenager : the level of dedication and sacrifice needed is huge. You see your mates outside football going out, having fun, eating/drinking as they please etc. while you are having your BMI measured every week by your club, have restrictions on what you can/can't do socially and have to work so incredibly hard to keep advancing through the youth ranks. It's easy to understand why so many don't make it. I wonder how many regrets there are later in life.

I think a lot are at clubs as a kind of 'best of the rest' - never likely to make it to full pro level, but needed to provide a certain level of ability to train and play with those who are ear-marked as the ones with the real potential to break through.
Plus it must be incredibly hard for a teenager : the level of dedication and sacrifice needed is huge. You see your mates outside football going out, having fun, eating/drinking as they please etc. while you are having your BMI measured every week by your club, have restrictions on what you can/can't do socially and have to work so incredibly hard to keep advancing through the youth ranks. It's easy to understand why so many don't make it. I wonder how many regrets there are later in life.

Are you guys discussing Balotelli...?! LOL

#askingforafriend

This without a doubt is the main thing along with the talent of course. Sadly a lot of young players ( kids really) are not always aware that although they have been asked to join a pro club the real hard works starts there. A lot of these kids have been feted at school and among their peers and are not always prepered to do what is asked of them.

Not going to name names but there was one kid ( one of the best i have seen) taken on at a premership club ( while i was doing courses there) who was not always willing to listen or put the work in to pr ogress up the c hain. He made his debue against Liverpool ( and played well) but failed to keep working and he eventually dropped down the Leagues and is now playing non league football. Sad really because he had it all really and a good reader of a game.

Last edited:
That’s the interesting, you’d think the first 2 positions at either full back position are pretty much sewn up, yet with Toby out, Sanchez behind Rodgers and Rodon himself being new to the division it would have been a clearer path to game time for him as a centre back. Unless he sees Davies as a cb now which opens up the left back berth.

I believe its incredibly difficult for a youngster to play centre defence in the PL, it's a critical position and ability isn't enough, experience is vital. There are exceptions but they are rare.

He looked pretty good last night against a poor side, it will be good to see him progress because he seems to be a calm player who gets into the right positions.
Agree with this, I was hoping the layoff hadn’t skewed my view as I thought he looked a great prospect last season but even against the limited opposition he looked very comfortable on the ball and with his decision making. I wonder if he might make the bench ahead of Sanchez given he can play full back too, or if he’s going to be eased back in?

Agree with this, I was hoping the layoff hadn’t skewed my view as I thought he looked a great prospect last season but even against the limited opposition he looked very comfortable on the ball and with his decision making. I wonder if he might make the bench ahead of Sanchez given he can play full back too, or if he’s going to be eased back in?

Who knows ( i guess Jose does :)), we now have a very good squad of players so no need to rush him i guess. But it would be good to see him get a few games along the way.

He looked pretty good last night against a poor side, it will be good to see him progress because he seems to be a calm player who gets into the right positions.

He probably couldn't have asked for an easier game to get some minutes in

Back