• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Deaths tend to lag behind. Think it’s about two weeks.

Cases are down today. So hopefully see a fall in deaths soon.
Will probably go up again in the lead up to Christmas through a combination of people furiously shopping for presents and traders desperate for business, kids still at school, then celebrations of the festivities. January could be a difficult month. We are so close to vaccines being rolled out I think the Christmas loosening of restrictions is madness. Boris trying to please everyone as usual.

The Christmas thing is crazy to me. Most of the country doesn't celebrate it for religious reasons so why can't it be delayed like everything else.

We were told to not celebrate Eid or gather in Ramadan and we generally complied. At the time flag nonces on twitter were raging that Muslims would be out celebrating and something needed to be done. The same flag nonces now are frothing with rage about Xmas being limited. And the government have opened things up for 4 days of mayhem.

And we still don't have effective test and trace.

Shambles really.

The Christmas thing is crazy to me. Most of the country doesn't celebrate it for religious reasons so why can't it be delayed like everything else.

We were told to not celebrate Eid or gather in Ramadan and we generally complied. At the time flag nonces on twitter were raging that Muslims would be out celebrating and something needed to be done. The same flag nonces now are frothing with rage about Xmas being limited. And the government have opened things up for 4 days of mayhem.

Shambles really.

Are you mad? Christmas is a national holiday in the uk.

Will probably go up again in the lead up to Christmas through a combination of people furiously shopping for presents and traders desperate for business, kids still at school, then celebrations of the festivities. January could be a difficult month. We are so close to vaccines being rolled out I think the Christmas loosening of restrictions is madness. Boris trying to please everyone as usual.

Agreed ,did not want to be seen as the PM who cancelled Xmas .

I know it is. I was born here and live here. There's also a pandemic and people haven't been able to see their loved ones while they were dying.

I just think that concessions for Xmas don't make sense.

Yeah I get you. Easter was locked down and is more or less the same socially, however, Christmas is a HUGE money spinner for so many shops/tax authorities.

Xmas is also a huge spreading event with people indoors, maskless, getting drunk and essentially killing off grandma. Unbelievable decision from Boris and his muppets in Government. The cases numbers around 10-15 January will be in the tens of thousands which means the death rate in late Jan will be closer to a thousand a day. Hope that's worth saving the High Street businesses for.

Shambles really.

I said previously, the “right” moan about the left’s obsession with political correctness, often with good reason. However, if you criticise a position the right hold dear, they can also engage in shouting down, belittling and suppressing opposite views.

Going to defend the Gov on this one

they have 2 choices

1: Not lift anything and some people will ignore the rules, you can’t police it.

2: Lift it for 5 days and people are more likely to follow the 5 day rules as a cut off.

it's a tough one, i see @Legohamster point, people will blatantly ignore the rules, it's going to happen, so the Govt are trying to limit the interactions so i guess i get that.

The wider issue though,is the handling of the pandemic itself in the UK (per the Reuters tweets above from @SteveAWOL )

It didn't have to be this bad.

Only handled worse by Trump and it's marginal. That's the benchmark and it's disgusting England are anywhere near that level of incompetence.

Edit: If I were to by cynical I'd call it deliberate neglect, rather than giving the 'out' of incompetence.

What I will say, is based on what i'm seeing, the lockdown should not be ending plain and simple on 2nd Dec.

It could probably end before Xmas still, but based on current death and infection rate, has the last month really 'saved' Christmas? Given 600 deaths yesterday, and still a high proportion of R rate and infection rate, it feels this lockdown needs to run until middle of December at least to really enable a Christmas get together?

Unfortunately, infighting within the Tory ranks costs this country again, and in 2024 we'll simply vote them back in for more.

Edit (from BBC looking at what Germany are doing):

Germany, with plans to allow two households with a maximum of five people aged over 14 to celebrate Christmas together. But Germany's daily death toll has hit a new high of 410 in the past 24 hours.

I think (not checked) Germany has a lower R rate and lower infection rate and lower death rate than the UK, yet are still being more conservative on Christmas rules. Gonna be a free for all here, imagine Christmas Eve 'Meals' in the pub? All that's going to happen is this will be uncontrollable through the first 3 months of next year too.

Last edited:
Back