• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Libation Thread

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
Stressy day with everybody being grumpy in the house today

I got given a bottle of Brockman's Gin for my birthday

I followed this from their website, very nice Gin

upload_2020-11-22_15-37-34.png

I used to be very much a Vodka man until 18 months ago now I really enjoy different gins

Love gin and tonic and Island malts.

But right now I am drinking a small glass of chilli mead from Lyme Bay with some cheese n biscuits.

There's only a handful it could be around there. Is that a taste test or deduction?

I don't think that it is something that is available elsewhere under a different label. Deduction, it's not quite as peaty as Laphroaig but it's in that ballpark.

Quality gin - Hendricks, Boodles, Ungava, others - cold tonic, generous wedge of lemon. Served promptly at the end of a dock on a warm July afternoon at the lake.

Other than that, don't do liquor. Or beer. Gluten sensitive and since a bout with colitis a few years back - I'm fine now - the only bevvy that agrees regularly with me is a nice red wine, preferably a few years old to minimize the presence of fermenting accelerants or sulfites to halt the process.

The Spanish do it right. To be certified by a dominacion, a wine has to be in the bottle a minimum of two years before going to market. Little incentive to accelerate fermenting like what's done to cheap white wines out of California or Chile. Really liking the distinctive products coming from the Bierzo and Hecla regions of Spain. The Monastrell varietal from Hecla is routinely great value. Mencia wines from Bierzo are becoming expensive as demand has risen. The Corbieres region of France is also producing some very distinctive wines at great prices.

Quality gin - Hendricks, Boodles, Ungava, others - cold tonic, generous wedge of lemon. Served promptly at the end of a dock on a warm July afternoon at the lake.

Other than that, don't do liquor. Or beer. Gluten sensitive and since a bout with colitis a few years back - I'm fine now - the only bevvy that agrees regularly with me is a nice red wine, preferably a few years old to minimize the presence of fermenting accelerants or sulfites to halt the process.

The Spanish do it right. To be certified by a dominacion, a wine has to be in the bottle a minimum of two years before going to market. Little incentive to accelerate fermenting like what's done to cheap white wines out of California or Chile. Really liking the distinctive products coming from the Bierzo and Hecla regions of Spain. The Monastrell varietal from Hecla is routinely great value. Mencia wines from Bierzo are becoming expensive as demand has risen. The Corbieres region of France is also producing some very distinctive wines at great prices.

Plenty of decent gluten free beers/lagers around now. They de-glutenise the barley as opposed to using something else (like sorgham) so you don't get the 'odd' aftertastes any more.

Gin though - tastes bizarre. Much prefer a good single malt: Bowmore, Talisker, Laphroig for preference.

@johnola: Good shout on the chilli mead. I've had the Lyme Bay stuff and it is surprisingly pleasant. Burrow Hill Cider (local to me - not sure if they do ordering) also do an Ice Cider which is a thick, syrupy cider along the same lines as a mead. Very nice it is too.

A good beginner tip is to avoid it if it's spelled whiskey.

I take it you’ve never educated yourself around a black label Jameson’s?

Most of the Scottish stuff is bang average but sounds exotic so I suspect people of your ilk would ponce on about it at dinner parties.

If you want a recommendation try a Middleton Rare , you will never go near a Whisky after it

Either way , a good whiskey is a good whisky

Sent from a place where spiders kill you

Back