• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

is it safe to stick a 48" tv on plaster board?

Want to put one up in the bedroom, but thinking i may as well use the tv from the lounge (and upgrade that to a 60"). It's a 14kg Samsung 48" but once you add a bracket on too, am wondering if it's a bit too big and heavy to be sticking on plasterboard? thoughts?

Not planning to drill into any wooden studs behind, talking pure plasterboard.

I wouldn't...

Want to put one up in the bedroom, but thinking i may as well use the tv from the lounge (and upgrade that to a 60"). It's a 14kg Samsung 48" but once you add a bracket on too, am wondering if it's a bit too big and heavy to be sticking on plasterboard? thoughts?

Far better off going into the studs if you can. I've used these successfully before though:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/gripit-plasterboard-fixing-25-x-14mm-8-pack/682gk

Plasterboard fixings will not hold that weight. You'll need to get some proper grounds into a stud or two, or alternatively the wall behind with some frame fixings maybe.

Last edited:

Depends on your wall.

Is it an external wall or internal.

If external and you have platerboard it is almost certainly dot and dabbed on. This means they'll be a 10/20mm void between the plasterboard and wall material (blockwork or brick) where the adhesive has been blobbed on to stick the plasterboard up. So you can easily get a fixing into the block or brick work and that will easily hold the bracket and TV.

If internal it's most likely to be studwork (timber framework with plasterboard screwed to it. If you can find a stud it helps but whether that would be wide enough to get all your TV bracket fixings into is debatable. You could cut a piece of the plasterboard out and fix a more suitable timber piece inside the wall to fix to.

You could find where the vertical studs are (400-600mm apart) and put a timber plinth across from one to another and use that as the fixing point for your bracket. You could paint it but It'll probably be hidden by the TV anyway ?

But in NO WAY could you support a TV just of the plasterboard, no matter what fixing you use. It's just too iffy.

Last edited:
Obviously the plasterboard has to be in good condition
As soon as you start fiddling with plasterboard it's dying to fall apart.

I suggest those fixings are rated on the amount the fixing can tolerate. The Achilles heel is the plasterboard, that is all it has to grab onto. If you think you can hang 100kg ie 4 bags of cement off a sheet of plasterboard...good luck with that.

thanks all. so basically i'm left just as clueless as before, i want a tv on the wall but want it to be worth having properly, i.e. not need binoculars to watch it.

Fridge freezer broke overnight, lost about £200 worth of food, ggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr
New one coming tomorrow and I've put a claim in on my home contents insurance

Have you asked Bullet if you can borrow some glue?

Really chuffed today! Applied for a couple of jobs yesterday, and got a call from one of them today, asking if I could do an interview tomorrow! And of all the jobs I've applied for in the last 5 months, this is the one I least expected to be considered for. Totally different area of work from anything I've ever done before! But if I get the chance, I'll take it!

Really chuffed today! Applied for a couple of jobs yesterday, and got a call from one of them today, asking if I could do an interview tomorrow! And of all the jobs I've applied for in the last 5 months, this is the one I least expected to be considered for. Totally different area of work from anything I've ever done before! But if I get the chance, I'll take it!

Good luck pal hope it works out.

Back