• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

he is becoming one of our most important players. Works hard. Defensively very good and has some great ball ability. I was worried we was going to lose him yesterday when he was down. He is one of the first names on the team sheet now. Amazing. Bargain really.

It's amazing how important this guy is for our team now....scary to think what we'd be like without him...is there ANYONE in the youth set-up (aside from Skipp) who can be moulded into being a combative central midfielder??

I've changed my mind. He may well be the most important player in the squad now and we look half the team when he is out.
May very well be. The drop in quality from Kane, Son, Ndombele etc to our other options is of course big. Missing Hojbjerg would be different to me though, not just the one player, missing so much of our structure and what makes others good.

It's amazing how important this guy is for our team now....scary to think what we'd be like without him...is there ANYONE in the youth set-up (aside from Skipp) who can be moulded into being a combative central midfielder??
Maybe we will go back to Soton and scrape Ward-Prowse out from their grave. Cracking 2 free kicks yesterday. A fighter. Turning 27. Knows PEH.

Maybe we will go back to Soton and scrape Ward-Prowse out from their grave. Cracking 2 free kicks yesterday. A fighter. Turning 27. Knows PEH.

I think it's more likely we pick up Oriol Romeu, tbh. He'll have 6 months left on his contract in Jan, so would be very cheap (if not free if he just came next summer), and has apparently been a different player since lockdown - hustling, harrying, aggressive, disciplined, great long pass on him, and basically the solid base of the midfield from which everything goes on higher up.

He'll be about 30, but for backup/competition for PEH from Soton, he'd probably do. JWP would cost a lot more.

I think it's more likely we pick up Oriol Romeu, tbh. He'll have 6 months left on his contract in Jan, so would be very cheap (if not free if he just came next summer), and has apparently been a different player since lockdown - hustling, harrying, aggressive, disciplined, great long pass on him, and basically the solid base of the midfield from which everything goes on higher up.

He'll be about 30, but for backup/competition for PEH from Soton, he'd probably do. JWP would cost a lot more.
I like JWP, but not sure he'd be a good option for the role PEH plays for us. As an option next to Hojbjerg he would be great, but don't think he'll be easy to get.

Romeu might be an option, but we have problems with the home grown quota already. Can we recall Skipp if he's ready? Some other HG deep midfielder that could be signed?

I think we might just have to hope for Hojbjerg to stay fit.

I like JWP, but not sure he'd be a good option for the role PEH plays for us. As an option next to Hojbjerg he would be great, but don't think he'll be easy to get.

Romeu might be an option, but we have problems with the home grown quota already. Can we recall Skipp if he's ready? Some other HG deep midfielder that could be signed?

I think we might just have to hope for Hojbjerg to stay fit.

I think the problem with the HG quota will resolve itself, more or less. At the very least, I see a number of spots being freed up by this time next year, and some possibly freed up if the market opportunity exists.

Gedson - most likely gone.
Aurier - most likely gone.
Gazzaniga - most likely gone.

Possible outgoings -

Sissoko - two years left on his deal, over 30, if we get the right offer.
Alderweireld - see above.
Lamela - see above, but with only one year left on his deal at that point.

Enough for at least four foreign players, maybe more. So I don't anticipate we would have to worry about that.

As for Skippy, seems to have faded after a bright start. Other HG deep midfielders would cost a lot - Kalvin Phillips et al.

Good player, but he'd be someone who be more of a forward/attacking type i'd a have thought, rather than one to stop opposition attacking us...

I think the problem with the HG quota will resolve itself, more or less. At the very least, I see a number of spots being freed up by this time next year, and some possibly freed up if the market opportunity exists.

Possible outgoings -

Enough for at least four foreign players, maybe more. So I don't anticipate we would have to worry about that.

As for Skippy, seems to have faded after a bright start. Other HG deep midfielders would cost a lot - Kalvin Phillips et al.

Possible outgoings -

Gedson and Gazzaniga were left out of the EL squad. Another non HG player in and he or someone else will have to be left out of the EL squad.

At least some of the players you mentioned would need replacing too if they were sold. Finding HG replacements would be difficult/costly, particularly in January. I don't think we'll do enough business in January to find room for a non HG Hojbjerg backup.

Possible outgoings -

Getting rid of non-HG players doesn't resolve the problem, there has to be suitable HG players to replace them with, that is where the true problem lies.

Thing is, so many pundits/fans thought he was a "meh" signing when made ..

Next summer it's either Skipp or we need to hunt for another backup/play alongside option
Some of us know our football.... ;)

I’m sure we’ll try to improve in the right back area (and perhaps left back as well). But having a player in the centre of midfield who actually knows when to sit, when to press, which runs to track and which players to cover and which positions to take up makes it immediately much harder for the opposition. Watching Winks play that position made horrific viewing. We’ll now be far more solid in defence and be able to commit better to the attack IMO.

This is quite a big story, that seems to have gone under the radar.

So if Højbjerg joins up with Denmark, he will have to selfisolate for 14 days when returning.

That would see him miss Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and 2 EL-games.

England v Iceland in doubt because of travel ban on Denmark visitors over mink Covid-19 fears

England's Nations League match against Iceland is in doubt because of the UK government's new travel ban on non-UK visitors coming from Denmark.

The restrictions relate to concerns over a new coronavirus strain that has spread from mink to humans.

Iceland are set to play Denmark in Copenhagen three days before facing England at Wembley on 18 November.

"Unlike other travel to the UK, there will be no exemptions to this quarantine policy," the guidance says.

Since June, elite sportspeople have been exempt from coronavirus-related travel restrictions.

The Football Association is awaiting clarification from the government. The latest rules, which took effect at 04:00 GMT on Saturday, will be reviewed after a week, the Department For Transport said.

European football governing body Uefa's coronavirus protocols state that international matches allow for a game to be rescheduled at a date fixed by Uefa, or to be played in a neutral venue if necessary.

BBC Sport has been told rescheduling is not an option. Uefa is understood to be studying the matter.

Under the new rules, UK citizens and visa holders can return from Denmark - but will have to isolate along with all members of their household for 14 days.

That means Danish Premier League stars may also have to isolate for 14 days upon their return if they travel to the country for international duty. That would affect Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, Everton's keeper Jonas Lossl, Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen, Southampton centre-back Jannik Vestergaard and Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, who are all in the squad.

It could also affect Sweden's British-based players who are set to play Denmark in a friendly on Wednesday including Manchester United defender Victor Lindelof, Saudi Sportswashing Machine full-back Emile Krafth and Everton goalkeeper Robin Olsen.

World governing body Fifa's rules, issued at the start of the pandemic, allow clubs to withdraw players from international duty if there is a risk of coronavirus infection.

Liverpool are also due to play away at Danish side FC Midtjylland on 9 December in the Champions League.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54858614

This is quite a big story, that seems to have gone under the radar.

So if Højbjerg joins up with Denmark, he will have to selfisolate for 14 days when returning.

That would see him miss Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and 2 EL-games.

England v Iceland in doubt because of travel ban on Denmark visitors over mink Covid-19 fears

England's Nations League match against Iceland is in doubt because of the UK government's new travel ban on non-UK visitors coming from Denmark.

The restrictions relate to concerns over a new coronavirus strain that has spread from mink to humans.

Iceland are set to play Denmark in Copenhagen three days before facing England at Wembley on 18 November.

"Unlike other travel to the UK, there will be no exemptions to this quarantine policy," the guidance says.

Since June, elite sportspeople have been exempt from coronavirus-related travel restrictions.

The Football Association is awaiting clarification from the government. The latest rules, which took effect at 04:00 GMT on Saturday, will be reviewed after a week, the Department For Transport said.

European football governing body Uefa's coronavirus protocols state that international matches allow for a game to be rescheduled at a date fixed by Uefa, or to be played in a neutral venue if necessary.

BBC Sport has been told rescheduling is not an option. Uefa is understood to be studying the matter.

Under the new rules, UK citizens and visa holders can return from Denmark - but will have to isolate along with all members of their household for 14 days.

That means Danish Premier League stars may also have to isolate for 14 days upon their return if they travel to the country for international duty. That would affect Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, Everton's keeper Jonas Lossl, Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen, Southampton centre-back Jannik Vestergaard and Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, who are all in the squad.

It could also affect Sweden's British-based players who are set to play Denmark in a friendly on Wednesday including Manchester United defender Victor Lindelof, Saudi Sportswashing Machine full-back Emile Krafth and Everton goalkeeper Robin Olsen.

World governing body Fifa's rules, issued at the start of the pandemic, allow clubs to withdraw players from international duty if there is a risk of coronavirus infection.

Liverpool are also due to play away at Danish side FC Midtjylland on 9 December in the Champions League.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54858614
Withdraw away please

You know, his utter excellence aside...I still can't shake the feeling that Hojbjerg wasn't bought for the role he's playing.

I will say that much - he's carrying out a magnificent job in terms of being an aggressive interceptor and leader further back, but what I suspect is that he was bought to be Mourinho's 'Khedira', in the famous Alonso-Khedira midfield pairing that won him La Liga. He has the same attributes - physical, superb reading of the game, fantastic presser and interceptor, has an engine, leader. Khedira's role was to win it high up and then transition the team to the attack, driving the team forward behind him. Alonso's role was to sit deep, screen the back line and ping penetrative passes from deep to the wings.

Alderweireld replicates some of that deep passing quality, but what I suspect is, we will still be looking for a defensive midfielder next summer - someone like Alonso, who can screen the back line and pass from deep. Maybe Mikel Merino, from Sociedad - fits the bill. And when we get that person, we might see Hojbjerg playing a role more similar to the one he played for Southampton - pressing high, intercepting and leading play higher up. Which has both positives and negatives - positive is that he can lead the press, negative is that some of his more run-of-the-mill attributes (occasionally wayward passing, sub-par shot selection, et al) might come to the fore more compared to his truly excellent defensive talents.

But I think the tradeoff will be worth it for attacking fluency of the team as a whole with the defensively adept metronome springing counters further back - closer to Mourinho's Madrid.

Back