• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Not really; Toby won 3 of 9 aerial duels, not very good. Yet they paint it as some outstanding feat. Stats, eh.
Obviously it's better to win more duels than less.

The stats only tell part of the story though. A good challenge for a headed duel in the box is often enough to put the attacker under enough pressure to not get a good header on goal.

A long ball upfield, putting enough pressure on the attacker so that he can't control the ball, losing the headed duel in the process, will often be enough. If you can do that and stay on your feet ready to react to the next phase of play that's fine by me. A lot better than fully challenging for the header, losing it and being left on the ground and out of the play for the next phase.

Against players like Wood most defenders will lose quite a lot of headers. It's about being smart about it, losing the one's you lose in a good way.

From what I remember Alderweireld did that quite well in that game, but could be mistaken.

Obviously it's better to win more duels than less.

The stats only tell part of the story though. A good challenge for a headed duel in the box is often enough to put the attacker under enough pressure to not get a good header on goal.

A long ball upfield, putting enough pressure on the attacker so that he can't control the ball, losing the headed duel in the process, will often be enough. If you can do that and stay on your feet ready to react to the next phase of play that's fine by me. A lot better than fully challenging for the header, losing it and being left on the ground and out of the play for the next phase.

Against players like Wood most defenders will lose quite a lot of headers. It's about being smart about it, losing the one's you lose in a good way.

From what I remember Alderweireld did that quite well in that game, but could be mistaken.
Precisely, my friend. They say "Most x, Most y, Most z" but that doesn't tell us much at all. What it does tell me is that he won the ball on 3 of 9 aerial duels... it doesn't tell me if the other 6 were headers on target or completely missed or whatever.

Mourinho: "Before matches you always ask me why this player is not playing, why this player is not playing, why this player is not selected. Maybe now for a few weeks you don't ask me that because you have the answer." #THFC #COYS

Mourinho: "Before matches you always ask me why this player is not playing, why this player is not playing, why this player is not selected. Maybe now for a few weeks you don't ask me that because you have the answer." #THFC #COYS

Christ, it's a very adversarial way of managing. I'm not going to condemn him for it because I thought he fudged Ndombele under the bus and, lo and behold, Jose is getting a tune from him.

It just feels wrong to be saying this stuff in public but I guess this is what you get with Mourinho.

Christ, it's a very adversarial way of managing. I'm not going to condemn him for it because I thought he fudged Ndombele under the bus and, lo and behold, Jose is getting a tune from him.

It just feels wrong to be saying this stuff in public but I guess this is what you get with Mourinho.

Add these comments to the ones after where he basically says they have no future its odd squad management.

And this, well this is odd, staged photo

Good man. Give them a kick up the backside. Those which have a winning mentality will want to prove him wrong and come through it. Those who can't handle it will be shown up.

In the long-run, this could be good for us. I expect GLC to bounce back from it given he's a fighter. Could be the end for Dele. Bale was terrible too, but he'll be (rightly) given a pass as he's not fit yet and he's shown drive in the past

Sadly Dele is looking like he’s going to be a casualty of Jose’s reign and he won’t be the only one sadly!
Bergwijn look dreadful also GLC looked shaky!

They need it. I'm not concerned.

Look at it this way - Poch babied them, shielded them from criticism, treated them like his sons almost.

And they let him down so badly he was sacked - the best manager in our recent history, sacked because of this lot.

We've already tried the babying approach with this bunch of brainless cowards.

Maybe this will work. If it doesn't, literally nothing will - these players will be too far gone to be anything but mercurial, on-and-off charlatans at this club.

They need it. I'm not concerned.

Look at it this way - Poch babied them, shielded them from criticism, treated them like his sons almost.

And they let him down so badly he was sacked - the best manager in our recent history, sacked because of this lot.

We've already tried the babying approach with this bunch of brainless cowards.

Maybe this will work. If it doesn't, literally nothing will - these players will be too far gone to be anything but mercurial, on-and-off charlatans at this club.

My preference is that he protects them in public and lashes them in private if it's needed. It's what the likes of Fergie did. I don't like public statements like this.

That said, I'm an office worker and he's one of the most successful managers of all time. He might know better than me...

My preference is that he protects them in public and lashes them in private if it's needed. It's what the likes of Fergie did. I don't like public statements like this.

That said, I'm an office worker and he's one of the most successful managers of all time. He might know better than me...

I know, and it's fair, but this lot had that approach for the past six years. Didn't do them much good - they're still mental midgets, and probably the worst in the league in terms of footballing intelligence outside of precious few exceptions.

The Fergie approach was tried, it failed, and we lost a good man in Poch because these sods let him down. So let's try this. If it also doesn't work with this shameless bunch, not sure what to do other than sack them all and start over.

Come on, man! Believe in yourself!!!

I think those quotes are absolutely terrible tbh - whoever they are aimed at he has fielded a heavily rotated and unfamiliar team away in Europe and is now publically flogging the players with little game time under their belts for not performing in those difficult circumstances...

I know I'm a bit of a sour puss with him atm but honestly those quotes are very telling imho and wonder whether he's setting certain players up to fail.

I think those quotes are absolutely terrible tbh - whoever they are aimed at he has fielded a heavily rotated and unfamiliar team away in Europe and is now publically flogging the players with little game time under their belts for not performing in those difficult circumstances...

I know I'm a bit of a sour puss with him atm but honestly those quotes are very telling imho and wonder whether he's setting certain players up to fail.

I'm not a sour puss with him but I don't like it either. It's also very pointed towards Dele for me because that's who he gets the most questions about.

For me, it's poor but that's what you get with Jose.

I could accept a defeat against what appeared to be a decent well organised team who were up for it.
I can't accept the manner of the defeat. And I don't think Jose will either.
We were second best every where.

Well hopefully this defeat proves to merely be a bump in the road as Mourinho leads us to his and Spurs’ 3rd Europa / UEFA Cup... as I see that ManU started their 2016/17 campaign in similar fashion, with a 0-1 defeat in Benelux in their first away group game after making wholesale changes to his starting line-up...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37302380
Manchester United produced a lacklustre display as their Europa League campaign began in defeat at Feyenoord.

Jose Mourinho made eight changes

Well hopefully this defeat proves to merely be a bump in the road as Mourinho leads us to his and Spurs’ 3rd Europa / UEFA Cup... as I see that ManU started their 2016/17 campaign in similar fashion, with a 0-1 defeat in Benelux in their first away group game after making wholesale changes to his starting line-up...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37302380

His first defeat in something like 9 games since the Everton game on the opening day. If we were going to lose, better here in Europe where the damage can be repaired quite easily than in a knockout cup or the PL. We do however need a reaction against Brighton. Three poor performances in succession would not be acceptable.

He’s been here a year now and Ndombele aside he’s not called anyone out - that clearly worked - he’s not called Alli out which he could have done.

Last night he gave players a chance to show why they should be in the first team and serge / Reg aside they flopped - we lose with fight, that’s fair enough - but there wasn’t even that in the first half.

the only ones that get a pass are Bale/Vinnie/Lo Celso.

Back